You are here

30"ish monitor for 2008 Mac Pro.

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: 30"ish monitor for 2008 Mac Pro.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:01 pm

Just a thought but instead of having one whopping great screen why not have two smaller ones? I love having two screens because maximising an app just fills one screen, leaving the second screen free for other apps. With Logic I maximise it on my main screen and pull plugins, UAD Console or whatever over to the second screen. I wouldn't work with just one screen no matter how large it was.

For historical reasons I've got two 27" screens, my iMac and the Tbolt screen that was my main screen when I used a Mac Mini. In order to fit both between the nearfield monitors I've got the second screen in portrait orientation, which looks a bit weird but is actually rather cool to work with.

You could keep your 20" screen as your second screen and buy a 27" screen as your main screen. Save money and increase your convenience :)

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby Agharta » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:19 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Or, I'm almost tempted to go for a 28" as I don't want to spend more than £300 but I think the extra screen real estate of a 30' or 31.5" would be worth having.

It might depend on how sharp your eyes are and how far it is situated from you etc.
A 31.5" 1440P is close to a 24" 1080P screen so 1440P on 28" would be too small for me.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby Agharta » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:21 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Just a thought but instead of having one whopping great screen why not have two smaller ones? I love having two screens because maximising an app just fills one screen, leaving the second screen free for other apps. With Logic I maximise it on my main screen and pull plugins, UAD Console or whatever over to the second screen. I wouldn't work with just one screen no matter how large it was.

For historical reasons I've got two 27" screens, my iMac and the Tbolt screen that was my main screen when I used a Mac Mini. In order to fit both between the nearfield monitors I've got the second screen in portrait orientation, which looks a bit weird but is actually rather cool to work with.

You could keep your 20" screen as your second screen and buy a 27" screen as your main screen. Save money and increase your convenience :)

CC

I have a 31.5" and 24" but usually only use the large screen but there are times when having the 2nd screen is wonderful.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:52 pm

Yes, considered both those issues, CC I have two 20" Cinema Displays but setting one or both in portrait mode is tricky (no VESA fixings) and the two side by side are too wide to fit. Plus it would be nice to watch music videos on it with decent audio so a single big screen would be nice.

The tweeters are about 110cm apart, I sit about the same distance back for mixing/critical listening and a little further when in chill out mode, the VDU monitor will be a few cms behind the plane of the speakers.

I may use the 20" next to the keyboards mirroring the main display but not sure yet as I'm experimenting with using an iPad for a DAW remote (not that I play keys......).

I think a 30 or 32 inch display is probably the way to go but I haven't decided which one yet. Any suggestions for a consistently reliable and quality brand?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:13 pm

My 27" screen is an LG 27MB85Z, a Thunderbolt monitor that's no longer made, which is a shame because it's what the last Apple monitor should have been (TB2, USB 3 ports, DVI and HDMI and DVI ports) . I can't say for LG's other kit but this has been a superb and trouble free monitor for the several years I've had it, so I'm well disposed towards LG.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:12 am

Thanks, LG does have a good rep for TVs so I might have a look at their monitors. I did have a Freeview recorder by LG which the HDD failed prematurely and ended up scrapping it as they were not forthcoming when my local dealer (who sold the brand) asked for an OS to install on the new drive. It's possible the dealer was dodgy though and just didn't want the hassle. I may email LG and ask them myself as I think I may still have the device tucked away somewhere........
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:00 am

Ok I bought the iIyama 32" Quad HD monitor and, lets say it is not Plug&Play....... The Mac seems to recognise it, the GPU is capable of significantly more resolution (3849x2160) while the display's native resolution is 2560x1440 but is buggering up the image even when the Mac is showing 'display defaults' are 2560x1440.

Baffled for the moment........
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Previous