You are here

Wavetable synth versus sampler

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Wavetable synth versus sampler

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:16 pm

I need a synth where I can load my own wavetables and have been trying out the Arturia Pigments demo. However I remember Jan Hammer, in the 1980s, used 23 Mini Moog samples in a hardware sampler for one lead sound and moved between them using (I think) the modulation wheel. The advantage of a sampler is the samples can be much longer.
I have programmed synths for decades but only used a sampler for playing back sounds at the original pitch, e.g. percussion programming.
Any advice really appreciated as I have to buy either a software sampler or a software wavetable synth, and of course, need to make the right decision.
Many thanks, Ian

Re: Wavetable synth versus sampler

Postby desmond » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:55 pm

Still Vibrations wrote:Any advice really appreciated as I have to buy either a software sampler or a software wavetable synth, and of course, need to make the right decision.

Well, why don't you tell us what you want to do? Do you want a synthesizer, a rompler, or a playback sampler? For what purpose?

Wavetables aren't samples really, even if they derived from samples, they are single cycle waveforms played by a digital oscillator, which is a bit different to sample playback.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:13 am

Thanks for your reply, I want to morph through samples with say the modulation wheel; for instance start with a rich synth tone and morph through noise to a human voice. Arturia's Pigments I think uses more than single cycles. I have produced a few sounds I want but not sure it is that versatile for what I do. My only experience of wavetable synthesis is the old Ensoniq SQ1.
Although I don't like the term, the music I produce would be considered experimental electronic music.

Postby fruitcake » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:32 pm

You may want to take a look at UVI Falcon. You can load your own wavetables, it’s also a sampler, has tons of modulation routing and granular synthesis thrown in. Urg, I don’t want to start sounding like an infomercial! ...And it has spring fresh smell!!

It’s worth a look. There’s probably a demo.
fruitcake
Regular

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:16 pm

fruitcake wrote:You may want to take a look at UVI Falcon.

Many thanks for that, it looks really good, although unfortunately I could not find a demo.

Eventually I went for the Xfer Records Serum, a pure wavetable synth. Initially I found it easier to get the sounds I want out of Pigments but after reading reviews of Serum, I got to know it better, and for what I do, seems more versatile.
After using two wavetable synths I realised that a sampler would not do what I wanted.

Here is the Sound On Sound review:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/xfer-records-serum

Postby fruitcake » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:47 pm

After reading that review of Serum, I am very intrigued! If only I had more time. I’ve promised myself to learn the stuff I have before buying anything else.

Except for that Prophet X that keeps badgering me :mrgreen:
fruitcake
Regular