You are here

Telecaster

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Telecaster

Postby BJG145 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:30 pm

I never really "got" Telecasters before. But I'm starting to feel there's a Tele-shaped gap in my life.

I've got a work interview on Friday morning to keep my job in a restructuring/redundancy situation. So I've decided that, if I keep my job, I'll get a Tele to celebrate. And if I don't, I'll get one as a consolation.

The logic seems pretty solid to me. ;)
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Telecaster

Postby Wonks » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:36 pm

Hope you keep your job and get a Tele. :thumbup:
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Humble Bee » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:57 pm

Every man needs a telecaster! And a job i guess...

Hope you keep your job :thumbup:
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby CS70 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:03 pm

BJG145 wrote:I never really "got" Telecasters before. But I'm starting to feel there's a Tele-shaped gap in my life.

I've got a work interview on Friday morning to keep my job in a restructuring/redundancy situation. So I've decided that, if I keep my job, I'll get a Tele to celebrate. And if I don't, I'll get one as a consolation.

The reasoning is impeccable and it's a logic I've applied many times! Works a charm!
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby desmond » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:05 pm

Gentlemen Prefer Tele's.

Fact.

(Although I'm Jonesing after a black Strat right now...)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby John Egan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:09 pm

BJG145 wrote:I never really "got" Telecasters before. But I'm starting to feel there's a Tele-shaped gap in my life.

Best of luck tomorrow. These situations are always stressful. I hope it goes well.
Apart from my old Gretsch, a Tele is probably the only guitar I couldn't do without.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby BJG145 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:37 pm

Hey, thanks for the good wishes...! :thumbup:
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:11 pm

We can give you a note to hand in if you want.

"BJG145 must keep his job. Signed: the SOS Forum."

No one would dare question that.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:32 am

Impeccable logic :clap:

And I'm getting close to the point of setting up my 90's Fenix Tele with new strings and a new nut nut too. A good Tele, well set-up, is an incredibly versatile tool. Every guitarist should have one (at least).

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Dynamic Mike » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:50 am

A Telecaster is the Transit Van of the guitar world. It might not always be the best choice for the job but it'll have a go at doing pretty much anything you ask of it.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

#indyref/bestof3

Postby garrettendi » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:47 am

Good luck with the work interview... Hope you keep your job!

If you're in any way strapped for cash, I recommend the Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele. Squier get a lot of bad press, but really, the Classic Vibe plays better than a Fender MIM, and is less money. The reviews on YouTube are glowing and I can vouch for them personally, having one myself.

Best guitar I've owned yet!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Humble Bee » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:53 am

That squire is nice but if you can score a 2nd hand Baja that's a killer T with great pickups and vibe...
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby garrettendi » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:10 am

Absolutely go for the Baja if its priced similarly second hand! But if the OP can't get a hold of one, or would rather go new, I'd say Squier is the best in the £300-£500 price bracket.

But you are right, the Baja is better by a way, so definitely give eBay or Reverb a look-see
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Luke W » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:14 am

A Tele is on my list as well. I have a Blade Delta, which looks like a Telecaster, but doesn't really sound like one (although it still sounds very nice), so I feel that's a good enough excuse.

Best of luck with work :thumbup:
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby Humble Bee » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:23 am

I had a Blade Delta and while it really wanted to be a tele it never did it for me. Sold it and got my Baja. Love it to bits! :thumbup:
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:35 am

Good luck with the job, just coming out the other side of that shenanigans myself so I feel your pain! :)
Your logic is impeccable and a Tele is something that should always be available. I wasn't a fan of them for quite a while, well, actually that's not right. I was a fan of them, I just couldn't get them to sound good, but I have plenty of proper-guitarist mates who can make them sing.
One of my projects this year is going to be to take apart my b@stard project tele and rebuild it properly - it's only a cheap kit but I think there's a nice guitar in there somewhere.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Music Wolf » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:37 am

Good luck to BJG145

Humble Bee wrote:That squire is nice but if you can score a 2nd hand Baja that's a killer T with great pickups and vibe...

It's interesting to hear the comments regarding the Baja Tele. I bought one last year and I'd agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments but there are other, guitar centric, forums out there where the Baja gets slated for its pick ups / pick up switching plus anything else that you can name.

If you do go for a Baja it's worth noting that there are two specs. 50's (like mine) which has a meatier neck and the 60's with a slimmer neck. I haven't tried the 60's version (I think that most of the 50's are Blonde / Maple neck and the 60's Sonic Blue / Rosewood style neck). I believe that the pick ups are also different.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:52 am

Fender have been constantly updating the specs of their Teles and Strats over the past couple of years, so today's 2019 models are probably very different from a 2017 model.

I'm not sure I've liked what I've read about in the reviews in the way they've changed the pickups in a lot of the models, but I'd still go and check them out a wide range of them for yourself if interested in a new one. The recent changes may have altered things that you once found hard to get on with in a Tele to ones you now like. Or vice versa.

I personally find that Teles need to be matched with the right amp, in order to work properly, so for me, using the right amp's half the battle.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Humble Bee » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:15 am

Got mine new in 2008 and have since swapped the stock electronics to higher quality stuff and traditional telecaster switching. I could not be bothered with the original 4 way switch serial configuration thing. The bridge pickup is pure godly tele twang and grunt! The neck pickup (Twisted tele) is a more open and stratish sounding affair than a traditional tele neck pickup. I bought a mini-humbucker to replace it as its a combination i would fancy but I have not gotten around to get the body rerouted to accommodate it. And the stock pickup does that strat neck sound pretty damn good.

And the neck is the chunky fat 50's one... a right log!

Great guitar!

Edit: I changed the bridge saddles for compensating ones to get better intonation.
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Humble Bee » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:20 am

Wonks wrote:I personally find that Teles need to be matched with the right amp, in order to work properly, so for me, using the right amp's half the battle.

Well my Baja sounds great in all amps it's gone through.

And i can't really speak of the newer ones. I didn't even know the specs changed that much over the years. My serial number is MZ7... :?
Humble Bee
Regular

Next