You are here

Olympus LS-P4

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Olympus LS-P4

Postby Dan LB » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:31 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with this cheap little recorder?

I’m travelling to Sri Lanka in March for a holiday and would love to capture some ambiences and other sounds. Don’t know exactly what yet.

I do have a Sound Devices MixPre-6 but I’m reluctant to bring it with me as I imagine that a lot of accommodations we’ll be staying in won’t have safes and I won’t want it with me all the time. Also, it having no internal mics means I’d have to bring my Audio Technicas, which, again I’d rather not have just lying around when I don’t need them. Portable and all as my current setup is, I feel it’s not really suitable for this trip, so I was wondering would the Olympus do a reasonable job? Any alternatives that you would suggest?

I really like how small the LS-P4 is - it’s tiny! I could keep it in my pocket with me at all times.

I’d be grateful for any feedback.

Dan.
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Re: Olympus LS-P4

Postby Dan LB » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:36 pm

Just saw that there's a SOS review :headbang:

Will have a read.

EDIT: the review is a little light on the use in practise side of things so any more i fo will be gratefully received.

Another thought: I will be bringing my Android phone with me (Samsung Galaxy S8). Maybe there is something useful I could get for that?
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:56 pm

I use one of two small Tascams for just such excursions...

I bought one specifically because when out for a day, Mrs S would sometimes get a little tetchy if I sallied forth with my Zoom F4, recorder bag, headphones, NTG4+, Rode Blimp, and Rode microboom! :lol:

And I've got some good 'grabs' which have eventually found their way to an SFX library...

Just to make clear... we do have occasional recording/photo days when I go festooned with the aforementioned gear and she goes festooned with DSLRs and lenses!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Dan LB » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:01 pm

Thanks Mike, I was hoping you’d respond. Which Tascam do you use?
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:07 pm

Most of the phone clip-on mics I know of are designed for ioS rather than Android...

You could try one of these: https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/field-v ... valier-mic with one of the clip-on add-on mics. I had the XY mic set-up and was impressed with the quality.

A friend I trust reviewed these and also the equivalent Tascam recorder. Much preferred the Zoom for quality of recording and ease of use IIRC.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:14 pm

This is the one I use most... a bit bigger than you may want I think: https://www.tascam.eu/en/dr-22wl.html

I've also got a Tascam DR-03... long discontinued, but very small... easily fits in a shirt pocket. I've used that for radio interviews many times. Fine as long as the levels are good - neither hot nor cold. Got it as an end-of-line from bhp in New York - equiv of £45 with 3-year warranty!

As you probably know, most of these little recorders are dreadful for handling noise. Just have to work out a way of holding it so that it sits snugly without moving about and all is well. The Rycote supports for portable DRs are excellent, but using one of those will go against what you're trying to achieve in terms of portability methinks
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:15 pm

Dan LB wrote:the review is a little light on the use in practise side of things so any more i fo will be gratefully received.

I use the older but very similar LS-11 for the same kind of ambient recording, and it is actually remarkably good provided you take care with setting the record levels (headroom is your friend!). I recorded a Lancaster bomber engine start-up sequence with it a couple of years ago, and the recording still gives me goose-bumps! :D

I would, however, strongly recommend that you invest in a Rycote location recorder kit comprising a handle, shock-mount, and windjammer -- the kit makes a MASSIVE improvement to the machine's use when outdoors! it's £100 very well spent!

The LS-P4 has the same dimensions and weight as the LS-P2, so that's the kit you'll need. The handle is the same for all, of course, but the lyres on the shockmount vary with the weight of the unit and the windjammer needs to be sized correctly to fit snuggly over the mic capsules. Here's a link to the P2 kit:

http://mymic.rycote.com/products/olympus-dm450_550_ls-p2-audio-kit/

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:28 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I would, however, strongly recommend that you invest in a Rycote location recorder kit comprising a handle, shock-mount, and windjammer -- the kit makes a MASSIVE improvement to the machine's use when outdoors! it's £30 very well spent!

H

Errmm... more like £90 these days Hugh, unless you have a secret source! :lol:
(And I can't find a UK source at all for that Rycote product number.)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:34 pm

I have the LS-P2 and it’s tiny! Very workable for quick takes and reasonable quality for what it is. The 3 mic configuration works reasonably well with the centre Omni giving you a little more bottom end than you might otherwise expect.

As Hugh says, you need some sort of wind protection. I use a botched something or other and a miniature camera tripod.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:39 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Errmm...

oops -- sorry. Typo corrected!

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Bob Bickerton » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:42 pm

Another thought if you’re an iPhone user is the Shure MV88.

This microphone is as good as any I’ve found on the portable recorders I’ve used. M/S with lots of width options using the rather good APP.

Nice case with foam sock over which you can pop a generic fur ball.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:56 pm

Bob Bickerton wrote:Another thought if you’re an iPhone user is the Shure MV88.

This microphone is as good as any I’ve found on the portable recorders I’ve used. M/S with lots of width options using the rather good APP.

Nice case with foam sock over which you can pop a generic fur ball.

Bob

He's Android, Bob....
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Dan LB » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:23 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I’m currently mulling it over. :thumbup:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:15 am

Do you have suitable Mulling Atire?

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:20 am

If not Andy will be happy to lend you some :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dan LB » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:28 pm

:D

Mulling complete.... Olympus LS-P4 + Rycote windjammer ordered.

I couldn't find the kit that you linked to Hugh for sale anywhere.
I don't plan on using the recorder handheld much anyway. I'll most likely use it with a 'gorilla pod'-style tripod and attach it to whatever is to hand.

Thanks again :thumbup:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:01 pm

Dan LB wrote:I couldn't find the kit that you linked to Hugh for sale anywhere.

It's on the Rycote website so it must exist... If in doubt, a quick call to Rycote would sort a solution -- they are extremely helpful people.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Wonks » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:27 pm

Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Dan LB » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:42 pm

That’s what I’ve ordered Wonks. It’s the *kit* with the shockmount that I cant find.

Not a problem for now.
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:13 am

Well the LS-P4 and Rycote windshield arrived today.....

First impressions of the recorder are very positive. It’s absolutely tiny!! Sounds pretty good for what it is and I think it will be useful to have around. Obviously it doesn’t compete with my Sound Devices/Audio Technica rig but it’s decent enough for the money.
The menu system is quite straight forward and I haven’t needed to open the manual yet. :thumbup:

The Rycote windshield, I’m not impressed as much with unfortunately. It seems it can only handle an *extremely* light breeze. I need to do more testing in that regard though.
I wasn’t expecting it to perform like a blimp or anything like that but I thought it might do a bit better than it seems to. As I said though, more testing to be done.

Overall, I’m a happy camper so thank you everyone for your input. I love this place!! :clap: :mrgreen:

Dan
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Next