You are here

Reaper on Linux

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Reaper on Linux

Postby AlexYoungCRW » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:50 am

Hi, I am wondering if you could help me please.

I have been (not so long) Cubase user on Windows and am used to VST plugin format.

I am moving away from Windows to Ubuntu or various reasons. I heard that there are many popular DAWs on Ubuntu, one of them being Reaper.

Is there anyone here using Reaper on regular basis? What kind of plugin format does it take? Are there Ubuntu Reaper alternatives of VST plugins, for example, fabFilter?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Many thanks

Regards
Alex
AlexYoungCRW

Re: Reaper on Linux

Postby Folderol » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:02 pm

Not A Reaper user myself, but my understanding is that it does support VST plugins.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby blinddrew » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:22 pm

Yep, Reaper supports VST. Not being a linux user though I can't confirm how it runs on that OS I'm afraid.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:36 pm

Likewise, I run Reaper on a my Macs (El Capitan and High Sierra). It runs fine on both and, as Drew says, runs VST. It does have a decent selection of VSTs bundled too.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:15 am

Reaper also includes its own plug-in design language, JS, which allows you to create your own if you so desire. There are all kinds of JS plug-ins included with Reaper which you can use as inspiration.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:59 am

Reaper will run on Linux, I've done it.
What I did find was that weirdly, some things didn't look right, and it was a bit clunky in some areas, menus were strange too. But on the whole, it did work, I get the feeling that if I'd persevered and fine tuned it, it would have been100% fine, but I stopped using it on my Linux machine simply because it just seemed to work flawlessly on my Mac so....
Reaper to me is a complete no brainer, freinds are always amazed at the things it can do, and the plug-ins are amazing, and it's all free! I bought mine as I felt guilty about using it! But the price is ridiculously low, it makes no sense to me to use any other DAW, and, it has that cool play slider, for analogue style varispeed!
Arpangel
Frequent Poster