You are here

Neumann KH120 A monitors - any negative opinions or reviews?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Neumann KH120 A monitors - any negative opinions or reviews?

Postby Wonks » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:46 am

Don't be afraid to mention shops that have provided good service. It benefits us all to know where we can get it.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10880
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Neumann KH120 A monitors - any negative opinions or reviews?

Postby John Willett » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:02 pm

MeJ wrote:
John Willett wrote:
MeJ wrote:There are three excellent establishments in North Nondon:- KMR, The Studio Shop and Funky Junk. :thumbup:

;)

Just so, but I didn't want to appear to be promoting any of them. But I went to the first :) And will again!

All three are excellent in their own way and all have knowledgeable and helpful staff. :thumbup:
User avatar
John Willett
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7061
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Re: Neumann KH120 A monitors - any negative opinions or reviews?

Postby baward » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:10 pm

FWIW, I LOVE my KH80's (with no sub)
baward
Regular
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:00 am
 

Re: Neumann KH120 A monitors - any negative opinions or reviews?

Postby rggillespie » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:11 am

The Kh120s get such positive feedback on this forum and in reviews I went ahead and bought a pair on a 'try before you buy' scheme in January. Its hard to know if something will work for you if you cant have a home demo. They are a big step up from my equator audio D5s in every respect technically but after two weeks I found I wasn't enjoying listening to them. I think I found they are on the cool side tonally and I found returning to the inferior D5s a relief. The resolution is nowhere near the KH120s, which are in every way you'd judge it superior, but I just prefer the warmer sound of the D5s. As monitors are so important getting it right is a must, but it is very subjective. So I'll go now and listen to some of the competition Adam, Focal, Dynaudio, Genelec etc , get a home demo and hopefully one of them is right for me. So I'm not knocking the Kh120s in anyway at all but just pointing out there are other options and in my case I'm glad I had the option of try before you buy. Best of luck with your purchase, and do get a sale or return option just in case. You'll have the right monitors for years so its worth getting it right.
rggillespie
Poster
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:24 am

Re: Neumann KH120 A monitors - any negative opinions or reviews?

Postby John Willett » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:14 pm

rggillespie wrote:The Kh120s get such positive feedback on this forum and in reviews I went ahead and bought a pair on a 'try before you buy' scheme in January. Its hard to know if something will work for you if you cant have a home demo. They are a big step up from my equator audio D5s in every respect technically but after two weeks I found I wasn't enjoying listening to them. I think I found they are on the cool side tonally and I found returning to the inferior D5s a relief. The resolution is nowhere near the KH120s, which are in every way you'd judge it superior, but I just prefer the warmer sound of the D5s. As monitors are so important getting it right is a must, but it is very subjective. So I'll go now and listen to some of the competition Adam, Focal, Dynaudio, Genelec etc , get a home demo and hopefully one of them is right for me. So I'm not knocking the Kh120s in anyway at all but just pointing out there are other options and in my case I'm glad I had the option of try before you buy. Best of luck with your purchase, and do get a sale or return option just in case. You'll have the right monitors for years so its worth getting it right.

You are not supposed to enjoy listening to monitors. :mrgreen: :beamup:

They are there to tell you what is wrong with your recording so you can correct it.

And, at their price bracket, the KH120A seem to do better than anything else.

Personally I would use the KH120, but I wouldn't use any of the others you listed (except the D5 which were the tops in their price bracket - but Equator is long gone now, it seems).

I used the forerunner to the KH120 for many years and had to pay almost double to get anything better.
User avatar
John Willett
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7061
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Re: Neumann KH120 A monitors - any negative opinions or reviews?

Postby MeJ » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:55 pm

John Willett wrote:
You are not supposed to enjoy listening to monitors. :mrgreen: :beamup:


This!

MeJ
MeJ
New here
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:00 am
Location: London UK, Leon Spain

Re: Neumann KH120 A monitors - any negative opinions or reviews?

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:21 pm

Maybe not even a little bit? :lol:

Mixing for 15+ years on small Genelecs with sub in a small room. When the mix is finally right I enjoy them very much. I also enjoy using them for listening to the latest YouTube music offerings and Netflix mixes.

The Genelec people were very helpful when I couldn’t get the sub balanced properly in my small room and my mixes translate well to pro mixing rooms. The sub ended up in a very odd place in the room. So as mentioned on SOS many times - you learn your room and monitors. But I am curious about these KH120’s.
User avatar
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2857
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am
Location: In the woods in Canada
 

Re: Neumann KH120 A monitors - any negative opinions or reviews?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:15 pm

I enjoy listening to all my monitors... But I don't always enjoy what I hear through them! :-)

Listening to well crafted mixes is an absolute joy. The challenge is to find -- and even more so to make -- well crafted mixes.

I'd say the KH120s are very neutral-sounding, which some might interpret as dull or even boring in comparison to some other brands which might tend to be a bit more mid-forward or bass-heavy. They certainly don't present music with any hype, anyway, and mixing through them is hard work because they reveal any weaknesses pretty clearly.

But in fairness, different people respond to what they hear in different ways, and the monitor speakers are just tools, so all that really matters is whether your preferred speakers enable you to make good reliable mixes that travel well. Some people can achieve that with NS10s (I'm not one of them!). Others can do it with headphones (I'm not one of them either!). Others find Genelecs, or Focals, or Ambiphons do it for them... I happen to find the more neutral monitors suit my ears, so brands like PMC, Neumann, Harbeth, Geithain and others... Each to their own I say!

H,
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 26942
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Neumann KH120 A monitors - any negative opinions or reviews?

Postby John Willett » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:58 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:..... so brands like PMC, Neumann, Harbeth, Geithain and others...

These are the ones that are always at the top of my list and I would add ATC to make my top-5. :thumbup:
User avatar
John Willett
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7061
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Re: Neumann KH120 A monitors - any negative opinions or reviews?

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:59 am

John Willett wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:..... so brands like PMC, Neumann, Harbeth, Geithain and others...

These are the ones that are always at the top of my list and I would add ATC to make my top-5. :thumbup:

Yes, please do - ATC monitors have been my preferred choice for many years now, even if I can only afford the smallest ones ;)


Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 15572
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 am
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Neumann KH120 A monitors - any negative opinions or reviews?

Postby The Bunk » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:47 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote: But in fairness, different people respond to what they hear in different ways, and the monitor speakers are just tools, so all that really matters is whether your preferred speakers enable you to make good reliable mixes that travel well. Some people can achieve that with NS10s (I'm not one of them!). Others can do it with headphones (I'm not one of them either!).

... Each to their own I say!

H,

I'm pleased to read that! I've got cheap Tascams which I've had for years but I'd like to think they serve me well. I still think occasionally about replacing / upgrading but funds are a bit tight and anyway, probably more importantly, I've grown so accustomed to them that I now consider them to be highly reliable for me. Most of my work is done using decent headphones and I only go to the monitors at the last stages of the production (providing I remember to switch over as per my "Schoolboy error" post!!).
I recently changed my hi-fi speakers having had the original pair for several years, and I've still not got used to the new ones. And it's not like they're poor quality.
User avatar
The Bunk
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1222
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:00 am
Location: SW London

Re: Neumann KH120 A monitors - any negative opinions or reviews?

Postby Tim Gillett » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:38 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I'd say the KH120s... certainly don't present music with any hype, anyway, and mixing through them is hard work because they reveal any weaknesses pretty clearly.

An exception is a mild tendency to "one note bass". It may not be noticed on a flat monitor, but on another cheaper speaker with the same exaggerated bass response at the problem note, the effect will double and may then be an issue. On the other hand, another cheap speaker might have the exact complementary bass response, evening the problem out perfectly, but you wouldnt want to count on it.

In the end there's no substitute for listening attentively to even excellent monitors like these for any tendency for unevenness that has slipped through into the mix. The monitors cant do this for us.

https://youtu.be/_ym-CAzJa_M
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2043
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:00 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Previous