You are here

Interface for the Focusrite ISA One

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Interface for the Focusrite ISA One

Postby Normonster » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:08 pm

James Perrett wrote:
Normonster wrote:I recorded once in a nice homestudio and the equipment there did indeed bring out the very best in what I had to offer.

OK, thank you James. Seems to be consensus on this. In that case, I could go up from the SM7B in cost and stay within budget.
Normonster
Poster

Postby Normonster » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:40 am

@Sam Spoons

Oah wow, I didn't realized you guys were actually pros. I appreciate you and everyone else's input very much.

That is a compelling article. I suppose I'll try one upgrade at a time then, and save the preamp upgrade for a later date. Also see about some DYI treatment.

Thanks again all. I'll try to chime back in here if I manage to uncover a significant difference in quality after I go through the painstaking process of microphone selection. Something tells me you've all discussed it before. :)

Cheers!
Normonster
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:52 am

Normonster wrote:OK, thank you James. Seems to be consensus on this. In that case, I could go up from the SM7B in cost and stay within budget.

Personally I'd go sideways - get yourself a couple of Line Audio CM3's for the acoustic guitar (they sound much more expensive than they are) and then go to a dealer and try a few different large diaphragm condenser mics to find one that suits your voice. It is also well worth spending a bit on acoustic treatment because it makes a huge difference.

Once you've spent the money take a bit of time to experiment with mic positioning. Acoustic guitars are very directional and just moving the mic slightly can change the sound dramatically.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:02 am

"Oah wow, I didn't realized you guys were actually pros. I appreciate you and everyone else's input very much."

Not me Norm' I am just an old valve amp tech!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:34 am

Nor me :blush: certainly not WRT studio work (I've been involved in live sound since my teens and it generated 50%+of my income for a fair few years before I retired).

I have built my own home/project studio though and I like to think it qualifies me to give useful advice to those starting to do the same. The studio build taught me that the difference acoustic treatment makes way more than the difference between a budget and exotic preamp.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Normonster » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:09 pm

Side note here...this conversation got me thinking about a LR Baggs Venue I got a while back and could never get to sound good. I hooked it up and dialed in the gain on the LR and kept the gain on my 10FX turned (almost) all the way down and....oah wow! It sounds really great! When I tried to use it before I was "double preamping" I guess.

The only issue with this setup is that the preamp on that channel must be what gets the channel's signal into the digital USB mix. To record it I have to use an AUX send and select that input within Cubase.

What a fun process of discovery. I am definitely going to get a new interface and use the Zed for live jammin.
Normonster
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:43 am

There best acoustic guitar preamp I have ever heard is the Tone Dexter https://audiosprockets.com. It takes some effort but is simply stunning when you get it right. I bought one last year and posted some recordings comparing it to a miked recording of the same 'performance'. It is so close I can no longer remember whether the mic was the left channel and the TD the right or vice versa :headbang:

FWIW it works best on passive pickups but my active guitars still sound better than I've managed with 'normal' preamps.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous