You are here

Multi core cables vs Ethernet cables for snake connection

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Multi core cables vs Ethernet cables for snake connection

Postby matkt051 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:46 pm

Hi all
I’m new on this forum and would like to know your opinions on two solutions I was looking into for my church

The current problem is that there are a lot of mic cables that get stepped over by the church folk and this is a pain in the backside

To solve this I suggested putting an analog snake box that will be connected to the A&H Zed22fx mixer

I’m at a cross road on selecting either multi core cabling or Ethernet cabling
At the moment the distance between mic and mixer is less that 30m, but this could change later

With that in mind can you please suggest the advantages of using a multi core vs cat5/5E/6/7 cable to send analog mic level audio

Many thanks
Mat
matkt051
New here

Re: Multi core cables vs Ethernet cables for snake connection

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:32 pm

I wouldn't recommend sending analogue mic lines down long cat5/6/7 cables (although there are cheap systems that allow that). Each catx cable can only handle 4 lines anyway, the interference screening isn't up to the same standard as a purpose designed analogue multicore, and neither is the ruggedness.

However, going digital and hooking up via catx cable makes a but more practical sense. But here there be dragons because there are a lot of different systems with different capabilities and -- importantly -- (in)compatibilities!

There are several digital stagebox/snake solutions on the market that are entirely stand-alone and self-contained, with analogue converter stageboxes at each end. Others use variations of standard networking protocols that theoretically make them compatible with other manufacturers systems -- or use proprietary formats that are compatible with certain manufacturers products. DANTE is one of the most popular right now, but there are many others.

If there are any thoughts or possibilities at all towards upgrading your current desk for a digital one in the next 5 years or so, it would be foolish to invest in a digital stagebox now that turns out to be incompatible with your future console.

An analogue snake/stagebox, on the other hand will always be compatible with any future console, and even if you do decide to go digital with a digital snake in the future, it could always be cut down into local stage ends to minimise the on-stage cabling, so will never be a wasted investment.

Food for thoughts, anyway...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Multi core cables vs Ethernet cables for snake connection

Postby zenguitar » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:39 pm

Looks like a duplicate post has sneaked through.

I'll lock this one to avoid confusion.

Here's a link to the duplicate...

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 24&t=65071

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra