You are here

Beware of latest WIN10 update!!!!!!!

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Beware of latest WIN10 update!!!!!!!

Postby OneWorld » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:23 pm

I updated yesterday and today I find my Downloads folder has been wiped clean!!!!!!

Microsoft, you are a bunch of stupid ***************************** (every cussword I know)
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Beware of latest WIN10 update!!!!!!!

Postby Folderol » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:35 pm

Whilst I fully agree this shouldn't have happened, whenever making any changes to your system you should always first make a detached copy of absolutely everything - even if it can't possibly cause problems. Murphy is always watching :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:33 pm

Strange...

I too updated yesterday and my 'Downloads' are intact...

Presumably some settings thing...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:31 pm

MS has been making a real hash of their updates of late. This seems to happen randomly and unfortunately, the only you can do is go through life trusting large corporations to make a hash of everything they do. Just think of the poor souls who lost their cloud based files last August when MS really screwed the pooch with their "focus on shareholders."

Personally, I think having SAAS be the distribution model for an OS is a horrid idea. the last thing I want is unexpected changes to my environment, especially if the "upgrade" is going to wipe files. That said, the download folder is a very dangerous place to leave files as most upgrades will wipe locations considered temporary by the software engineers, and that includes the download folder.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Wonks » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:19 pm

You also need to state what update it was. The different versions update at different times, and over a varied time period, so whilst my PC updated two days ago, it is probably a very different update to yours. No problem with my downloads folder ATM.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:35 pm

::: goes off to duplicate Downloads folder :::
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Nathan-VST-Plugins » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:59 am

Never heard of such thing happening in decades of OS updates, surely some of them caused problems and had to be removed, but messing with user files like that?! :shock:
Nathan-VST-Plugins
Regular
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure."
Checkout my blog: VST Plugins Free Download

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:52 am

The Interweb is silent on this... However, there was the update in October last year that caused such mayhem before Microsoft stopped the rollout.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with a current update?
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:04 am

Folderol wrote:Whilst I fully agree this shouldn't have happened, whenever making any changes to your system you should always first make a detached copy of absolutely everything - even if it can't possibly cause problems. Murphy is always watching :(

You're right, if only I listened to my own advice I'd rule the world!

Fortunately I had made a drive image a few days ago, and have found (using Macrium Free) I can restore just a single folder - the Downloads folder in this case.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:07 am

Watchmaker wrote:MS has been making a real hash of their updates of late. This seems to happen randomly and unfortunately, the only you can do is go through life trusting large corporations to make a hash of everything they do. Just think of the poor souls who lost their cloud based files last August when MS really screwed the pooch with their "focus on shareholders."

Personally, I think having SAAS be the distribution model for an OS is a horrid idea. the last thing I want is unexpected changes to my environment, especially if the "upgrade" is going to wipe files. That said, the download folder is a very dangerous place to leave files as most upgrades will wipe locations considered temporary by the software engineers, and that includes the download folder.

Yes as I have found to my dismay. I use the Downloads folder as a Temp folder. Some of the freeware I use, and in fact boughtware, sometimes comes with a release, and then shortly after that release is found to be a bit unstable, so users are advised to roll back to the previous release, or hold off installing until it is clear the release is stable. I I download stuff, leave it in the Downloads folder and put all the stuff for whatever app in it's own folder, and there I can see all the various releases of that app. I suppose I use it as sort of a crude version control. Not anymore!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:18 am

Mike Stranks wrote:Strange...

I too updated yesterday and my 'Downloads' are intact...

Presumably some settings thing...

After a bit of digging about on t'internet it was partly my own fault. Somewhere along the line with the update, the Clean Files window opens, and on closer examination, the downloads Folder is included in the checkbox, I didn't check and just clicked OK and away went the contents of my Downloads Folder, I didn't check which files/folders would be deleted, but the reason I didn't check is because previously the Downloads Folder was included in the Disk CleanUp process - as a joiner will say - "Measure twice, cut once"
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:23 pm

Just updated all my pcs and no problems here..

EDIT - hadnt seen your last comment, yeah the Disk Cleanup it is..
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby OneWorld » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:32 pm

CS70 wrote:Just updated all my pcs and no problems here..

EDIT - hadnt seen your last comment, yeah the Disk Cleanup it is..

Yes and I have checked, the usual Disk Cleanup, which I use on a weekly does not include Downloads folder, so when Disk Cleanup appeared during the WIn10 upgrade, and it looks identical to the usual one (right click/properties/disk cleanup) I would have thought that because more items are 'cleaned up' during the update then there would be some sort of prompt to inform the user that additional items have been added to the disk cleanup list. It looks identical but isn't.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:33 pm

Indeed it’s s new thing. Guess many fell in the same pitfall.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:35 pm

CS70 wrote:Indeed it’s s new thing. Guess many fell in the same pitfall.

Yes I did a search on t'internet and it was that which pointed me in that direction - the items added to the disk cleanup utility
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:59 pm

Tricky choice that one - either you add code to warn the user but then you're stuck with it forever (and you have to detect that it's the first time use and such, something that regularly tends to go wrong), or you write in the update notes but nobody reads them anyways...
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Smellthevalve » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:07 pm

Feedback Hub 'How likely are you to recommend this Windows 10 PC to a friend or colleague?'
:headbang:
Smellthevalve
Regular

Postby Nathan-VST-Plugins » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:55 am

What a trap! Downloaded files are not temporary at all. :geek:
Nathan-VST-Plugins
Regular
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure."
Checkout my blog: VST Plugins Free Download

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:29 am

OneWorld wrote:Somewhere along the line with the update, the Clean Files window opens, and on closer examination, the downloads Folder is included in the checkbox, I didn't check and just clicked OK and away went the contents of my Downloads Folder, I didn't check which files/folders would be deleted, but the reason I didn't check is because previously the Downloads Folder was included in the Disk CleanUp process - as a joiner will say - "Measure twice, cut once"

Thanks for sharing that with us - an easy mistake to make but at least we know it wasn't the update acting of its own accord.

I agree, MS should treat the download folder with more care. It's one of the main 'go to' areas I prune when I feel the need to de-clutter but I certainly wouldn't treat it as 'just another' temp folder!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:25 am

A couple of comments:

I guess there must be different views of the 'Downloads' area. I've never regarded it as anything more than transitory and, in my earlier ignorance, assumed it was likely to be purged when OS updates came along. It's still a bummer though for those who've been accustomed to treating it as a repository to lose it.

I've currently in the throes of 'rescuing' a laptop owned by a neighbour. Clever chap in his late '60s who had high-powered corporate compliance roles in his pre-retirement career. The laptop as received was a total mess. Us techy-types can forget that our level of understanding of computers is not shared by the vast majority of Microsoft's customers. I can appreciate the company's dilemma... do they incorporate more 'hand-holding', 'keep the show on the road' facilities or just let the uninformed user make the system more and more inefficient? I was given a 'broken' laptop. What I received was a laptop that had been given no infrastructure TLC and where files and folders had, in ignorance, been placed at random. The laptop is now well on it's way to fully-functioning normality...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Next