You are here

Olympus LS-P4

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Olympus LS-P4

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:46 am

Dan LB wrote:Well the LS-P4 and Rycote windshield arrived today.....

The Rycote windshield, I’m not impressed as much with unfortunately. It seems it can only handle an *extremely* light breeze. I need to do more testing in that regard though.
I wasn’t expecting it to perform like a blimp or anything like that but I thought it might do a bit better than it seems to. As I said though, more testing to be done.

Dan

Yup! these 'fluffies' in whatever guise they appear (I have/have had several different versions for different mics) don't cut it in anything but the lightest of breezes.

That's why I bought a blimp....
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:11 am

You have to be careful with the placement of the Rycote windjammer. In particular, you need to fit it sufficiently loosely that the fabric does not rub on the mic capsules and leaves an open space above the mics. You also need to make sure that there are no gaps at the base where the wind can get in.

As you say, it's never going to be as good as a blimp or Cyclone, and it won't give you a wind-free recording on a really windy day, but it should enable decent recordings on a lightly breezy day when it will allow recordings to be a heck of a lot better than the machine on its own!

If in doubt, give the nice folk at Rycote a call because they can usually offer helpful advice.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby IvanSC » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:24 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Dan LB wrote:the review is a little light on the use in practise side of things so any more i fo will be gratefully received.

I use the older but very similar LS-11 for the same kind of ambient recording

Right with you, Hugh.
I have an LS14 I picked up new/unused at a bargain price & it is excellent. Mostly gets used for bellowing melody lines in when walking the dog, but I have actually got good enough takes off it in the field to just save clips straight into my DAW. And very easy to set up correctly.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Let me share my recipe for Wabbit stew with you!

Previous