You are here

Boss Nextone

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Boss Nextone

Postby ef37a » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:09 am

I have a couple of questions regarding Paul White's review of the amplifier in the March issue?

He says it can drive external speakers but despite an illuminating magnifying aid from the NHS I am blowed if I can see a speaker output? Also a minimum load of 8 Ohm is surely out of order these days? One does not like to "knock" but a competitor's product, well known to me has no trouble down to 4 Ohms. The Boss could not for instance be used with one of the many 4X12 cabs that offer 16/4 R operation unless at 16 R when a good deal of power would not be available. I would also like to know what happens if a 4R load (or lower!) IS connected? Smoke?

Lastly how does the amp stand up gigged against a similarly powered valve output stage? An old AC30 say? This is one of the biggest criticisms levelled at solid state amps. They are "not as loud as valve" for the same rated output. Again, at least one competing product has largely addressed this problem. Does the Nextone?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: Boss Nextone

Postby Wonks » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:04 pm

Having heard a 1x12" 100W Boss Katana, they are certainly loud enough to gig. Like any 1x12", its going to struggle if another guitarist has a full Marshall stack turned up loud, but that's not a likely scenario these days.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Wonks » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:12 pm

This is the speaker out picture from the Boss web site. The jacks are on the underside of the amp section.

So one 8 ohm or one/two 16 ohm cabs.

Using the 8 ohm jack disconnects the two 16 ohm outputs, so you need to unplug the internal speaker to use external cabs.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:58 pm

Wonks wrote:Having heard a 1x12" 100W Boss Katana, they are certainly loud enough to gig. Like any 1x12", its going to struggle if another guitarist has a full Marshall stack turned up loud, but that's not a likely scenario these days.

Well that is a bit extreme Wonks! I really meant a comparison with a COMPARABLE valve amp? The AC30 is even a little unfair since although being nominally 30W they are known to be excruciatingly loud. I really had a 40 watt "hybrid" valve amp in mind. I suspect the Boss would struggle against a 15W valve amp with a 100dB/W/mtr speaker such as the V30.

I had not looked for that speaker output plate, on the Boss site I assume? Still 8 Ohms minimum and almost all S/State guitar amps have been 4 Ohm capable for many years...'it'appen. Where they are "fussy" manufacturers do not fit ext jacks.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:15 pm

ef37a wrote:He says it can drive external speakers but despite an illuminating magnifying aid from the NHS I am blowed if I can see a speaker output?

The limited space in the printed mag means the output socket image couldn't be included, but it is present in the online and tablet versions, along with an appropriately informative caption: :D

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/boss-nextone-stage

I wonder if the 8 Ohm minimum requirement is because it actually uses a bridged output configuration, using dual amp modules with 4 Ohm minimum ratings? That would seem a plausible reason. Just a thought.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:21 pm

ef37a wrote:Well that is a bit extreme Wonks! I really meant a comparison with a COMPARABLE valve amp? The AC30 is even a little unfair since although being nominally 30W they are known to be excruciatingly loud. I really had a 40 watt "hybrid" valve amp in mind. I suspect the Boss would struggle against a 15W valve amp with a 100dB/W/mtr speaker such as the V30.

It doesn't. The 100W Katana was on a 50W setting and wasn't turned up fully. It's loud enough. The general idea with them is to be able to get a good sound at all volume levels, not just loud, like a lot of valve amps.

I admit 8 ohms is a bit strange, but if that's what the design requires, that's what it is.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:24 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I wonder if the 8 Ohm minimum requirement is because it actually uses a bridged output configuration, using dual amp modules with 4 Ohm minimum ratings? That would seem a plausible reason. Just a thought.

H

I had a look at the amp flow schematic in the manual, and it doesn't indicate a twin amp output. There's certainly no stereo facility if two speaker cabs are used; the 16 ohm outputs are just parallel wired.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:28 pm

Thanks Hugh, I guessed there would be more information around if I searched (and paid. Again!) .

Bridge mode OP stage? Ooo, tricky! That certainly solves getting the volts but is even more of a problem when Joe P can connect the outside world. We now not only have to contend with load and short protection but some kind of A saving device in case either speaker jack touches chassis. Bridge amps, especially "budget" one are also not known for great stability.

The simplest solution is of course to use a couple of fat electrolytics in the OP circuit as was done in hi fi amps for years but I suppose manufacturers would consider that a retrograde design step even for a guitar amp!

You got in before me Wonks. Yes, the design must have fixed on an 8R minimum and like you I find it strange. I just hope there is adequate protection. People are used to doing terrible things to guitar amps and drive them close to clipping all the time.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:47 pm

TBH, it's not the sort of amp I'd expect to see used with external cabs. They may have a head-only version in the pipeline with matching speaker cabs, which is why they have the extra outputs on these.

I note that Boss do a Waza Craft head (75W and 150W versions), where the matching 4x12" cab is an 8 ohm load and the 2x12" cab is a 16 ohm load, so maybe there will be lower spec versions of these available with a Nextone badge. Again, the Waza amp outputs are 1 x 8 ohm and 2 x 16 ohm, so it's obviously an integral part of the whole Boss solid-state amp design philosophy.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:57 pm

Wonks wrote:TBH, it's not the sort of amp I'd expect to see used with external cabs. They may have a head-only version in the pipeline with matching speaker cabs, which is why they have the extra outputs on these.

I note that Boss do a Waza Craft head (75W and 150W versions), where the matching 4x12" cab is an 8 ohm load and the 2x12" cab is a 16 ohm load, so maybe there will be lower spec versions of these available with a Nextone badge. Again, the Waza amp outputs are 1 x 8 ohm and 2 x 16 ohm, so it's obviously an integral part of the whole Boss solid-state amp design philosophy.

Well you could be right but in my experience, gitists are not that "philosophical" and tend to like to mix n match.

I tend to belong to the "if it CAN be done, SOME idiot WILL do it!" design camp.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster