You are here

Cubase Device Manager Generic Remote

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Cubase Device Manager Generic Remote

Postby OneWorld » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:18 pm

I use several controllers which have been set up using the Generic Remote.

When setting up a controller I am aware that it is important to 'export' the file which is an XML file.

What confuses me is if for example I I have 3 controllers.......

C1,
C2,
C3

and I am setting up a fourth, and I export the set up, does the resulting XML file include the existing settings for C1, C2, C3 or do those own files exist in their own right as separate files?

Yes I understand there are separate files I have created (exported) when setting up C1, C2, C3 but which file is loaded when Cubase starts up? is the setup created when setting up C4 appended to an existing XML file?

And.....which file does Cubase default to when it is starting up/opening a project, where is that file kept, or does Cubase go straight to the folder where I exported the XML files to?

Also I am having trouble with my eLicenser(another post) I am trying to join Cubase Forums and am asked to enter my email so an activation can be sent, but even though I have tried 3 times, the activation email never arrives - yes I have checked the junk mail folder etc
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Cubase Device Manager Generic Remote

Postby Keyman777 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:03 pm

Which version of cubase are you running? I'll check & see this week if the cmc pad controller settings pull up autom. Great question, and just started using my Cmc controllers yesterday as I pulled them out of storage so I will get back to you Asap on this.
Keyman777

Postby OneWorld » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:25 pm

Keyman777 wrote:Which version of cubase are you running? I'll check & see this week if the cmc pad controller settings pull up autom. Great question, and just started using my Cmc controllers yesterday as I pulled them out of storage so I will get back to you Asap on this.

Cubase 8.5 but I think the Generic Remote is much the same across all versions, certainly those since Cubase 5.

One thing I did notice when opening one of the XML files, this being the defaults.xml which lives in the Windows User/Steinberg settings, and I guess that is the file which Cubase pulls in when it opens.

But when I look at the defaults.xml file, it contains references (file path) to where I have saved/exported the xml files I created when I am setting up a controller (of which I have 3)

But when I open either of those exported xml files, they look identical to the 'defaults.xml' Seems ot be going round in circles - what's the point of the defaults.xml file bringing in other xml files when they are identical to the file pulling them in.

I have trawled the internet for answers - It seems the Generic Remote thingy is a source of wonderment to all concerned, even Steinberg!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:44 am

Why you don’t just open the XML file and look? It’s just text, and by looking around it will soon be evident if the file contains data on only one controller or all of them
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby OneWorld » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:46 pm

CS70 wrote:Why you don’t just open the XML file and look? It’s just text, and by looking around it will soon be evident if the file contains data on only one controller or all of them

Please read post : by OneWorld » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:25 pm
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)