You are here

Trying to get SoundGrid to work

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Trying to get SoundGrid to work

Postby The Elf » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:18 pm

I want to port 4 channels of real-time-generated audio from one (Win10) laptop to another.

A simple solution (I thought...) might be to make an Ethernet connection between the two and use something like Waves SoundGrid to map ASIO outputs from source to destination.

I've installed the latest SoundGrid driver and SoundGrid Studio and I've made a simple 'crossover' (actually using a patch cable, but auto-crossover detection seems to be working) Cat5e connection between the laptops.

I can connect the two laptops in SoundGrid Studio's inventory, and I have patched the ASIO outputs from source to destination. Everything seems to be in place, the laptops can see each other, and SoundGrid seems to be happy.

But no matter what I try I can't get audio to appear at either laptop from the other. I'm selecting the correct ports (which are even automatically named as the source laptop), but I see no audio coming in. Recording just produces a blank audio clip.

To all intents everything seems to be working just as it should - I just see no audio passing between the machines!

Does anyone use SoundGrid successfully? Am I doing something naively dumb? Is there perhaps another system I can use to reliably send multi-channel audio from one PC to another over a simple one-wire connection?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Trying to get SoundGrid to work

Postby BJG145 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:31 pm

...isn't it possible to record the generated sound on the same laptop and then copy it across...?

*edit*

Obviously not... ;) :headbang:
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:33 pm

BJG145 wrote:...isn't it possible to record the generated sound on the same laptop and then copy it across...?
I could go into all the reasons why that isn't an option, but I want to keep this thread simple. Suffice it to say that I really need to do it this way.

The alternative is for both laptops to have their own audio interfaces and plug from one to the other, but this method I'm trying seemed :roll: a much simpler solution...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Mixedup » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:15 am

I have no experience of Soundgrid, but another option would be Dante Virtual Soudcard and/or Dante Via.

Or there's the Reaper IP based routing system... 'ReaStream', is it called? I forget. It's ages since I used it but it did work.
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:31 am

Thanks for those suggestions. Unless I'm mistaken the Reaper option only works between instances of Reaper, so that won't cut it for this scenario, since one laptop is running performance software.

Dante - yes, I'd forgotten that Dante has a virtual option. I'll look at that and see if it can be pressed into service.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Matt Houghton » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:07 am

The Elf wrote:Unless I'm mistaken the Reaper option only works between instances of Reaper

If you're on Mac that's still correct, I think.

But for Windows machines, ReaStream is also included in their free ReaPlugs bundle, which should in theory work with other VST hosts.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby garrettendi » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:04 am

Matt Houghton wrote:But for Windows machines, ReaStream is also included in their free ReaPlugs bundle, which should in theory work with other VST hosts.

Forgive me for a temporary hijack but thanks for the link.. I have ReaPlugs already and did actually need to send MIDI from my laptop to my studio PC a short while ago. I gave up on the idea of using TeamViewer, VNC or Remote Desktop and I didn't know about ReaStream.

As it is I no longer need to do this, but at least I now know how to achieve it.

Hijack over, sorry Elf!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby The Elf » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:48 am

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help and advice. :thumbup: But no joy with either of those options, I'm afraid. :(

I can't find any instructions for ReStream beyond a ropey video, but I'm pretty sure I'm doing the basics correctly. The drop-down list shows no IP addresses (though I suspect it should), but I set it to '*broadcast'. The receiving end doesn't see any audio. There's little else I can do from what I can see.

Dante VS seems the closest. I'm certainly getting all the right connections, and the two laptops are seeing each other, but when I run the Control panel it shows both as being 'slave only', so I can't get either of them to run playback or record since they have no master clock.

You really wouldn't think it would be this difficult! :headbang:

I'm going to give up on this. I will just have run two audio interfaces and a few cables between them. At least that will work.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:10 pm

Well here's the reason for Dante not working:

Can Dante Virtual Soundcard be used to send audio data from one computer to another?

Yes. However, Dante Virtual Soundcard cannot clock itself, and thus requires that at least one other Dante-enabled hardware device, or a third computer running Dante Via, is present on the network for clocking.

No joy there, then. But at least now I know...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Matt Houghton » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:48 pm

There's also this: https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/vban.htm

I've not used it, but they're the guys who do Vociemeeter, which neatly solved a different problem for me some years ago.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby The Elf » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:43 pm

Matt Houghton wrote:There's also this: https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/vban.htm

I've not used it, but they're the guys who do Vociemeeter, which neatly solved a different problem for me some years ago.
Close, so very close! This is actually pretty good for what it is.

I can get multi-channel audio from PC to PC, but... as soon as I try to direct the final output to an ASIO driver (Zoom L-12) I just get a flashing red driver name and no output. Maybe it's a clocking problem, since I have no way of passing clocks around outside of the software. I also don't see a way to split the final audio into separate ASIO channels, which would defeat the object.

I really have spent far too long on this now, so I'm giving up and using an additional AI and a clutch of cables. Life really is too short! :headbang:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Matt Houghton » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:55 pm

The Elf wrote:I really have spent far too long on this now, so I'm giving up and using an additional AI and a clutch of cables. Life really is too short! :headbang:

^ this guy's advice is spot on :bouncy:
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby The Elf » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:09 pm

Matt Houghton wrote:
The Elf wrote:I really have spent far too long on this now, so I'm giving up and using an additional AI and a clutch of cables. Life really is too short! :headbang:
^ this guy's advice is spot on :bouncy:
Voicemeeter is a very good piece of software, though. I could see me using it for other purposes, so it was worth getting to know it. Always worth keeping the mind open.

That was a good steer! Thanks, mate.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:49 pm

Analogue cables -- the universal sample-rate converter! ;-) No clocking required and guaranteed to work!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:42 pm

:lol: The analogue cabling is the one bit I'm unconcerned about. The thought of a second laptop and USB audio interface is the part that keeps me awake! :headbang: :lol:

I'm being assured that a single laptop should be able to handle the performance software AND the multi-track recording (made possible because the software has recording facility built in), but this makes me almost as twitchy...

I'll give it a go and see what happens. And I'll report back - maybe in another thread.
The Elf
Jedi Poster