You are here

Giving away stems for remixes

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Giving away stems for remixes

Postby Gone To Lunch » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:35 pm

Someone I know and trust likes one of my tracks and has asked for the stems so he can do a remix, as it is something he likes to do with tracks that he finds interesting.

I am just curious as to the legalities were I to send the stems, especially what I might accidentally be giving away, which would presumably be the same as for an actual commercial proposition.

Does the remixer creates a new master which they then automatically own, and are then free to exploit ?

Currently I own everything, and want to keep it that way, including the live vocal and instrumental session performances that were signed to me on standard MU session forms.
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
http://www.gonetolunchmusic.com/

Re: Giving away stems for remixes

Postby blinddrew » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:30 pm

Gone To Lunch wrote:Currently I own everything, and want to keep it that way, including the live vocal and instrumental session performances that were signed to me on standard MU session forms.
In that case agree a contract with him that states this and that you have the ownership on anything that he creates with your stems.
It might be awkward having a legal conversation with a friend but that's the only way to do it.

There was a case a couple of years ago regarding remasters and whether that created a new copyright (i.e. was it a new 'work') but I can't for the life of me remember which side of the atlantic it was on. I think it was the UK.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Giving away stems for remixes

Postby MOF » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:45 pm

I presume it’s no different to the laws regarding samples, you have to agree a percentage or probably now there are industry agreed rate tables.
MOF
Regular