You are here

How to record from mixer to computer

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

How to record from mixer to computer

Postby Hugostar » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:31 pm

Hello everyone, I am happy to be here.
Please how can I record a good quality sound from my Allen&health gl2400?
Hugostar
New here

Re: How to record from mixer to computer

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:45 am

I have a similar thread to this myself. An easy answer would be to run usb from mixer to pc

Postby The Elf » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:23 am

You will need an audio interface. The AI will need sufficient inputs to accommodate the number of separate signals you would like to record. After that you can connect the mixer in a number of ways, so we will need a bit more information on what you're hoping to achieve.

But then you have to ask yourself, if you need the audio interface anyway, to which you can connect instruments and microphones directly, do you need to go via the mixer?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ef37a » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:58 am

That is quite a sophisticated mixer and as Elf say, any recommendations depend upon the precise use you intend for the recordings. A stereo mix or do you want to record each channel to a separate track?

Did you get the mixer from new? That could be important because it has a multitude of internal jumper routing options and if another party has been frigging around in there you will go loopy chasing signals!

If you don't already have it, download the manual from A&H and spend an evening on some intense reading.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Janneman » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:14 am

Recording via direct-out to a interface with enough inputs.
Janneman
Regular
Kind regards,   Jan van Duren

Postby ef37a » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:28 am

Janneman wrote:Recording via direct-out to a interface with enough inputs.

I suppose the logical answer is the ICE-16?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:22 am

That's making an assumption that we know exactly what the O/P wants to do... he may just want a simple stereo mix; he may want to record off the back of a live performance etc.

So O/P... and welcome by the way! What exactly is it you want to do?
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugostar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:31 pm

Hello friends, I am so happy with this forum, as so many are giving their solution to he'll me out.
I think I need to make it clear here of what I really want.
I connected my audio cable from my Allen&Health GL2400 "monitor output" to my PC "audio input"...
After capturing the audio with my "Adobe Audition"...the play back does not carry the keyboard, drums etc...all I can hear is the only the mics "voice".
So my problem here is how will get all the sound into my "PC"? That having a complete stereo sound.
Meanwhile, my audio line is only from 1 monitor line, could it be the problem?
Hugostar
New here

Postby Hugostar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:42 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:

That's making an assumption that we know exactly what the O/P wants to do... he may just want a simple stereo mix; he may want to record off the back of a live performance etc.

So O/P... and welcome by the way! What exactly is it you want to do?

Yes my brother, I guess you are right.
What I need is a simple stereo mix...just to record all that comes into the mixer to my PC.
Note: Amy using ADOBE AUDITION as my capturing software.
Thanks alot for your response.
Hugostar
New here

Postby ef37a » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:05 pm

"What I need is a simple stereo mix...just to record all that comes into the mixer to my PC."

Right! Super cheap but actually passing decent, Behringer UCA 202, after that the sky's the limit depending on the level of quality you want.

Do be aware that at approximately the £100 point for a 2 in 2 out interface they are of incredible good audio quality and you would have to spend ten time that to get a paper spec that was significantly better and even then, depending on the source material and monitoring quality, you would likely never hear a difference.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:13 pm

+1

And I would suggest using the 2-track ('2TRK OUT') outputs from your mixer to connect to the audio interface, rather than the monitor outputs. That should simplify things for you, but read the manual to make sure you are sending the right signals to the output.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugostar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Someone is suggesting that I should buy an external sound card.
Is it necessary to buy an external sound card before I could record from my mixer to my PC, considering my HP ENVY came with a good strong inbuilt sound card?

Honestly am getting confused right now...
Why can't I hear the drums, the keyboard, guitar, etc after recording...all I always hear is the voice ( very clear)
Hugostar
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:50 pm

The GL2400 is a nice mixer but is fairly sophisticated so there are a few ways you could be losing some channels on the recording. It's a while since I used a GL desk (I had a GL2200 for a couple of years) so I'll try to scan the manual later.

Where are you recording from? As Elf says the 'two track' outputs will be best as they always follow the main outs. Can you hear the other instruments on headphones when recording? If you can then recording should also capture them. Is it a balance problem? Are the other instruments there but very quiet? Are they electronic or live instruments captured with microphones? Is this a recording of a live gig or a 'studio' session?

The sound card in your HP Envy will be ok for casual listening and may good enough for your recordings but it will be markedly inferior to even a cheap audio interface like the one Dave suggested. But it should be recording whatever is coming out of your mixer so the problem is with something your are doing on the mixer.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:55 pm

Hugostar wrote:Someone is suggesting that I should buy an external sound card.
Is it necessary to buy an external sound card before I could record from my mixer to my PC, considering my HP ENVY came with a good strong inbuilt sound card?

Honestly am getting confused right now...
Why can't I hear the drums, the keyboard, guitar, etc after recording...all I always hear is the voice ( very clear)

Yes, you could use the HP laptop's internal card but, although PC cards can be very good for replay (digital to analogue conversion) and this HP g6 i3 upon which I am typing is one such, they can be a right PITA to use for recording, mainly due to the fact that they only accept very low levels and tend to have too much gain and introduce noise.

You could just buy a cable, one end 3.5mm Stereo jack and split out to two 1/4" mono jacks (aka TS, same as on a guitar cable) . Then you need to frigg about with Windows sound settings to crank down the gain. Even so you will probably find the mixer will overload the min jack input. You will do no harm but it will sound bad. The cable will only cost a few quid so worth a try.

Got to go for a mo' I am sure someone will give you a link to that cable.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:02 pm

I assume hugostar already has the cable as he is recording to his laptop from the 'monitor' outputs.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:57 pm

I hope you don't mind me making this really simple... :)

Use:

to connect to:

and then connect the phono plugs to the Input sockets of this Behringer UCA202:

and then connect the Behringer to a USB socket on your laptop.

Whatever is being routed to the main outputs of the mixer will then be recorded on the laptop into the software of your choice. That will give you the potential to record at up to CD quality if you record WAV files and not MP3s.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:57 pm

+1. Between Dave and Mike's advice, you've got a very clear and effective path to your objective. And remember, you're learning new stuff so be patient with yourself.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Hugostar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:00 pm

Honestly I am very very happy finding this forum. ..all your advise and contributions re very good and clear...am going to work on it tomorrow and come back to share my positive result.
Thanks once again...Mike your picture clue is wonderful and we'll explain...thanks too.
Hugostar
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:12 am

A budget interface is a good idea, much better than the built in one but if you are not getting the mix out of the desk it won't help. Please have another look at my last post and answer the questions I asked. There is a reason why you are not recording what you expect but it it is probably something to do with how you are configuring the mixer.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:47 am

Sam Spoons wrote:A budget interface is a good idea, much better than the built in one but if you are not getting the mix out of the desk it won't help. Please have another look at my last post and answer the questions I asked. There is a reason why you are not recording what you expect but it it is probably something to do with how you are configuring the mixer.

Almost certainly because of using the Monitor Outs. I've been caught out before when trying to record the stereo mix with these. It's very easy to have a PFL button engaged which will then solo that channel to the monitor, but if you're listening to the main LR mix you're completely unaware.

2-Trk out is much simpler/safer for a straight 2-channel recording. On this mixer it's a direct feed from the main L/R so easier to diagnose any funnies.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Next