You are here

NT-SF1

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: NT-SF1

Postby Sam Inglis » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:55 pm

It can do third-order Ambisonics, is that not enough?
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:02 pm

I've documented on the Mac forum my problems with importing polywav files into Logic, but now I've an NT-SF1 I have to admit with being delighted and excited with the thing. Early days yet but it really does work as advertised.

The plugin Soundfield by Rode comes without any documentation and none to be had on the web either, except for one site that was actually trying to persuade you that your machine has a virus. Why they should have picked the promise of an ambisonic plugin manual as a lure is, frankly, beyond me (I wasn't fooled; everybody knows Macs Don't Get Viruses ;-) ). So you have to spend a bit of time playing with it, clicking and dragging everything in sight.

Here, if you're interested, are some of the mic emulations I've been able to work out so far:

Cardioid

Omni

Figure of 8

X-Y

Blumlein

Of course you can combine these readily using multiple channels and plugins with the same data file, so mid-side would be pretty easy. With my normal example of the circle of shanty singers standing round the mic I'm thinking I'd use the Blumlein to give the basic stereo image of all the singers and and focus in on whoever's leading the shanty at the time using the cardioid.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:52 pm

Or perhaps just lots and lots of cardioids!

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:32 pm

Ok vague memory here about why Logic won’t work with Ambisonic files. (Doing this from memory, I did not make notes about it during the process). I had to use Reaper for the final processing of the final file because Logic had some form of limitations on the number of Master outs, where Reaper has a large number of master outs. I was able to create a 360 video with panning sound due to Reaper. There were a number of YouTube’s that were very helpful.
CC - I only mention this in case it helps point you in a useful direction as I don’t think you are going for the 360 panning experience.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:48 pm

I've just put up a post in the Mac forum about how I cracked the problem of loading third party ambisonic files into Logic by using Logic to write the polywav file itself :)

I think your memory is correct and directly relates to why you can't use the Zylia higher order ambisonic mic with Logic.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:44 pm

Super! I’ll get right over there.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Inglis » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:50 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:With my normal example of the circle of shanty singers standing round the mic I'm thinking I'd use the Blumlein to give the basic stereo image of all the singers and and focus in on whoever's leading the shanty at the time using the cardioid.

Really glad to hear you've taken the plunge into the Ambisonics rabbit hole, I'm sure it will bring you a huge amount of fun and satisfaction!

Theoretically at least Blumlein isn't recommended for recording from the centre of a circle because in a Blumlein array you have a 90 degree acceptance angle at the front and back, and 90 degree wedges either side where weird phasey stuff goes on. If you want 360-degree coverage then back-to-back cardioids might be a better starting point.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:05 am

We recorded a CD using the original Calrec. We set up in a circle around the mic and played all tracks live. The thing was that one of our players always played louder than the rest of us. Twist of a knob and a wonderful balance was achieved.
I’m looking forward to CC’s experiences with this new mic.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:00 am

Thanks, Sam. I was already seeing some uncomfortable drawbacks with that. You've explained why.

MFG: that's precisely the sort of control I'm looking for :)

March 24th is when I'm doing my first serious work with it when I record the Bath City Waits. I'm hoping that placing the mic in the centre of them is going to feel a lot more natural for them than the usual close miking.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:29 pm

Perhaps your adventures would make a fascinating multi-part article here?
The good, the bad, the awesome. :thumbup:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:57 pm

Well certainly when I have more to say I'll say it here.

Cheers,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:28 pm

Well I now have something to show for my adventures. I recorded the Bath City Jubilee Waits last Sunday and here is one of the tunes:-

https://soundcloud.com/mr-punchs-studio ... f-the-west

It's called Lantern of the West and was composed and arranged by my wife Anne Gregson. The NT-SF1 proved a major boon during the recording in that the musicians sat in a semi-circle around the mic, meaning I avoided the mess of having to close mic seven musicians while they had somewhere to put their music stands, plus of course the NT-SF1 isn't anything like as intimidating to amateur musicians. Of course you don't get something entirely for nothing and so there was a significant period of time during mixdown setting up the virtual equivalents of those seven cardioid mics. The mixer looked like this:

There's a quite a lot of spill in the virtual mics (though there would be a fair bit with real mics) so I arranged them in the stereo field more-or-less as they were in reality, though the mic did give me some flexibility in placement and similarly in recording levels that I would not have had with a conventional stereo mic. That's the way I've come to look at it, as a sort of "super-stereo" mic, with the advantages of a stereo mic plus to a useful degree some of the advantages of close miking.

There is the odd minor fluff from the musicians you can hear but nothing significant and the Waits seem pretty pleased with what's coming out of it. I'm chuffed with the mic; it seems to be delivering on its promise.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:34 pm

I really liked that and it sounded very well recorded. A worthwhile investment. :clap: :thumbup:
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:23 pm

:clap:

That sounds really well!

Well done, mate! :thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:46 pm

Very nice indeed :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

PreviousNext