You are here

Side-chain type switches in PSP MasterComp.

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Side-chain type switches in PSP MasterComp.

Postby Gone To Lunch » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:13 am

What are they for ?

As I understand it - if eg I set my Low to 141 and my High to 5.6, the compressor will only ‘hear’, and thus compress, only the frequencies in this range ? That is the compressor ignores sound below 141 and above 5.6 ?

But the both High and Low have additional type switches- flat, low shelf, low cut.

What are they for ? Why would I want to use them, especially on a mix bus ?

What I am stuck on is if the Low and High controls set the limits to the range the compressor will work on, what then is the purpose of boosting or cutting frequencies that have been rejected ?

Or have I misunderstood how all this works ?
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
http://www.gonetolunchmusic.com/

Re: Side-chain type switches in PSP MasterComp.

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:16 am

I don't use that particular comp, but in general, sidechain EQ facilities EQ *the side chain signal* detection, not the main audio path.

For instance, say you are sending in a mix of drums to the sidechain of a bass part, and you want to pump the bass line with your drum part. By low-passing the sidechain signal, or even boosting the lows, you make the compressor only react to the low end of the side chain signal, so the kick can pump the bassline without the higher stuff affecting it.

Or conversely, perhaps the low end is too powerful in the sidechain, so you can roll off the side chain low end so the compressor is not reacting quite so much to the low end for a more balanced sidechain signal.

So, just remember, the sidechain EQ is modifying how the compressor responds to the sidechain signal, which determines the compression characteristics on your main audio path.

Hope that helps...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:22 am

Gone To Lunch wrote:What are they for ?

As I understand it - if eg I set my Low to 141 and my High to 5.6, the compressor will only ‘hear’, and thus compress, only the frequencies in this range ? That is the compressor ignores sound below 141 and above 5.6 ?

The compressor is a single-band compressor, so it will always compress the full input signal across its full bandwidth (20Hz-20kHz).

However, how much it compresses, and how it determines how hard to compress, is controlled by the side-chain.

The side-chain filters allow you to make the compressor more or less sensitive to certain elements within the mix.

For example, if you have a strong kick-drum thumping along as the loudest element in the mix, a simple side-chain would see those kick-drum hits above the threshold and introduce compression on each and every kick drum thump.

So the level of the ~whole~ mix is altered on each and every kick drum beat... An that will give the kind of 'pumping' sound that is so popular in some genres...

But you may not want that effect, and instead prefer the compressor to ignore the kick-drums and react only to the level of mid-range energy from the vocalists and guitars, say.

To achieve that, you can introduce a high-pass filter into the side chain so that the side-chain itself is now much less sensitive to low-frequency energy, and will tend only to react to energy in the mid- and high-frequencies.

So although the ~whole~ input mix will still have its level altered by the action of the compressor, it will only be altered when the energy in the mid- and high-frequencies exceeds the threshold, not when the bass and kick get beefy.

If the side-chain EQ focuses on the sibilance region, the compressor will only react to sibilants and you have the basis of a de-esser... So the more elaborate the side-chain EQ facilities, the more focused you can get on what the compressor reacts to.

Edited to add: Desmond got there first! ;-)

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Zukan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:50 am

Edited: Hugh and Des got there well before me. Pah!
Zukan

Postby Wonks » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:15 pm

Gone To Lunch wrote:What are they for ?

But the both High and Low have additional type switches- flat, low shelf, low cut.

What are they for ?

As I understand it, those two switches are simply there to bring the HPF and LPF on the side chain in and out. The frequency selection knobs have no off position, so if you only wanted to HPF the side chain, you'd turn off the bottom of the two buttons and have the top one on. Likewise if you only wanted to LPF the side chain, then you'd turn on the bottom of the two buttons and have the top one off.

Obviously you can turn off both buttons, which will end up with no filtering and so get a flat response (same as turning the side-chain feature off), so that's why there's that 'flat' response indication linking the two buttons.

Maybe more confusing having that indication there than not, but it is a true indication of the situation if both the HPF and LPF are switched out.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Gone To Lunch » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:47 pm

Thank you one and all for your helpful help.

Just in case any readers are thinking of getting this particular comp, I would like to say that I am very happy with it, I got it for its extensive adjustability of everything which does not disappoint.
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
http://www.gonetolunchmusic.com/

Postby Zukan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:52 am

All of Antoni's products are top draw. We will soon be running a collab deal. I'll keep you posted as there will be some nice taster on offer.

To add: FetPressor and Nexcellence are really damn good!
Zukan