You are here

Can't get ambisonic to work with Logic

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Can't get ambisonic to work with Logic

Postby blinddrew » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:35 pm

Wonks wrote:It's their möre cöwbell offshoot.

I'm not sure why but this has really tickled me today.
:D
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8107
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Can't get ambisonic to work with Logic

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:07 pm

Well it's quite a dötty discussion, after all.

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7584
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Re: Can't get ambisonic to work with Logic

Postby zenguitar » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:17 am

Vęrÿ døttÿ įñdêēd. Åńd gõt thèré šô qūìkłÿ.

Andy :beamup:
User avatar
zenguitar
Moderator
Posts: 9230
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Devon
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Re: Can't get ambisonic to work with Logic

Postby Wonks » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:41 am

Wëll, ït ïs äböüt Ämbïsönïcs.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9476
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Can't get ambisonic to work with Logic

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:47 am

:clap: :lol:
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 24554
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Can't get ambisonic to work with Logic

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:20 pm

gaahk!
I always turn on the sub-titles when watching Brit tv shows as my ear has problems with the more hard core accents and now I need sub-titles here! :D
User avatar
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2227
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am
Location: In the woods in Canada
 

Re: Can't get ambisonic to work with Logic

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:16 pm

So, back to the plöt (oops, sorry about that, sort of slipped through).

MOF wrote:I just wondered if your recordings worked realistically converted to 'binaural', I think that given lots of people listen to music on earbuds it would be worth your while to convert your recordings to that format to give people the 'being there' experience.

Well I've been looking into binaural with Logic and this is what I seem to be finding. Logic has a "binaural panner" built in, but this is intended for positioning mono or stereo sources in a binaural field. It is not intended to handle ambisonic data. Please correct me if I'm wrong but so far as I can see if I want to do binaural with the NT-SF1 I have to put the Soundfield by Rode plugin in a channel effects slot and set it to decode the A format recording to B format. The next effects slot must be occupied by a third party binaural plugin which is what will do the actual work of converting the B format data to binaural for the final mix. Well and good, but binaural plugins cost money, the good ones quite a lot of money.

So if I'm wrong about this workflow please let me know. Alternatively if you know of a plugin that will do the job without raiding the nearly-empty piggy bank again I'd like to know that. Otherwise binaural will have to wait until I have an actual use for it and can justify the cost (you see I've just recently bought this microphone ...).

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7584
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Re: Can't get ambisonic to work with Logic

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:46 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Please correct me if I'm wrong but so far as I can see if I want to do binaural with the NT-SF1 I have to put the Soundfield by Rode plugin in a channel effects slot and set it to decode the A format recording to B format. The next effects slot must be occupied by a third party binaural plugin which is what will do the actual work of converting the B format data to binaural for the final mix.

Yes, the signal flow is A-format input to B-format processing to binaural output. As you say, there are a number of B-binaural conversion plugins, but I'm not aware of anything free at the moment. Harpex and Ambihead are the two I've heard about, but I've not had a chance to play with either I'm afraid.
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 24554
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Can't get ambisonic to work with Logic

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:14 pm

Thanks for that, Hugh. Ambihead costs €189 + VAT and Harpex €298 + VAT. That confirms what I thought, that I'll need a genuine reason to buy one of these. Never mind, maybe if ambisonics takes off a bit more Apple will add the functionality to Logic. We can always hope :)

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7584
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Re: Can't get ambisonic to work with Logic

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:25 pm

Ha! ;-)

I'm pleased ambisonics is becoming popular again, and finding a role in multichannel sound creation or the games and cinema industries.

But for me, the only application that appeals to me as a practitioner is in using surround sources (ambisonic or whatever) to create a binaural output, since that's the only practical way I'm going to get to enjoy listening to it. Multiple speakers around the walls and ceilings just ain't gonna happen...

But even then binaural transcoding only works if you have a system that can accommodate a personally-derived HRTF. Without that you simply won't get stable and consistent sound positioning, and if you ain't got that, you ain't got a system worth listening to...
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 24554
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Can't get ambisonic to work with Logic

Postby blinddrew » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:28 pm

Is this where I mention there's a free plug-in for Reaper...
http://www.ambisonictoolkit.net/download/reaper/

;)
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8107
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Can't get ambisonic to work with Logic

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:10 pm

Be my guest, young man.

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7584
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Re: Can't get ambisonic to work with Logic

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:27 pm

Looks interesting and promising... But the documentation is rather lacking so its actual capabilities remain rather unclear to me.
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 24554
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Can't get ambisonic to work with Logic

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:52 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:But even then binaural transcoding only works if you have a system that can accommodate a personally-derived HRTF.

So, a business opportunity for someone to produce HRTFs based on hat size. All I ask for this idea is an HRTF for hat size 59cm.

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7584
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Re: Can't get ambisonic to work with Logic

Postby James Perrett » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:59 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Looks interesting and promising... But the documentation is rather lacking so its actual capabilities remain rather unclear to me.

It is a JS effect so the source code can be examined by clicking a button on the plug-in. Hopefully it will be well commented ;)
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 8434
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Can't get ambisonic to work with Logic

Postby Wonks » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:01 pm

Does it have umlauts?
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9476
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Can't get ambisonic to work with Logic

Postby James Perrett » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:54 pm

James Perrett wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:Looks interesting and promising... But the documentation is rather lacking so its actual capabilities remain rather unclear to me.

It is a JS effect so the source code can be examined by clicking a button on the plug-in. Hopefully it will be well commented ;)

More documentation on the decoding can be found at

http://depts.washington.edu/dxscdoc/Hel ... ecode.html

and a general guide is at

http://depts.washington.edu/dxscdoc/Hel ... e-ATK.html

I guess the biggest issue is how much of this has been ported from SuperCollider to Reaper.
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 8434
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Can't get ambisonic to work with Logic

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:14 pm

I was going to mention Ambisonics Toolkit. That’s what I was playing with.

This guy - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_da97ALqAY4
I believe is the inventor of the software and his YouTubes are very useful In showing how it all works. This is not his best video of all his videos but it helped me get up and running.
User avatar
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2227
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am
Location: In the woods in Canada
 

Re: Can't get ambisonic to work with Logic

Postby James Perrett » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:29 pm

I've just been down to the Southampton University Science and Engineering festival and heard a demo of their 40 channel surround sound speaker array. I was interested to see that they were using Reaper for the demo with what looked like an RME Madiface USB interface on a Mac laptop. Apparently much of the audio had been captured using a 32 channel ambisonic microphone array and all the channels for each segment were contained in a single Reaper item. I didn't get much chance to really see behind the scenes though.
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 8434
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Can't get ambisonic to work with Logic

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:06 pm

Did an ambisonic recording yesterday of some of the musicians I'll be seriously recording next weekend. I'm not going to play any of it here because it was very revealing of the acoustic problems in the space I was supposed to do the recording in. This is unexpected and very valuable. I'm going to try and get them to play here instead. Although my studio space is too small for 8 musicians my living room isn't and doesn't have most of the problems yesterday's room had.

CC

PS that may give a neat use for a Zoom H3-VR. You could use it to do a test recording in the space intended before deploying the full rig. I shall have to think about that.

PPS James, that adds to the suggestion I made earlier that Reaper is carving itself a very neat market niche as the DAW of choice for surround work.
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7584
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jatidoras