You are here

Need the smallest subs

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Need the smallest subs

Postby AlecSp » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:16 pm

It really feels like you're desperate to throw money at kit that won't help you, but will make life more difficult for yourself.

So, listening to your Youtube track, it's not bad, but maybe a little bass heavy, which won't be helping you. But only a bit.

If I'm right in thinking you're out as a solo act with backing track, then the obvious PA candidate I would recommend is a good pair of 12" actives (and nothing wrong with the DXR range). Whilst not full range, the bass extenstion would normally be quite passable for the kind of small venues I'm *assuming* you're playing - bearing in mind it's the vocals the punters are really after. It's also got the benefit of being a nice portable setup. In fact, I'd even be happy with a pair of RCF ART 710s, as even those pack a good punch.

But you've gone for 15s. They should be doing a perfectly good job, as long as you're driving them with a flat EQ (please don't be using any bass boost or anything nasty like that) and will give a little more bottom end than smaller cabs, at the expense of portability. Experiment with speaker placement, as that may help in some tricky venues.

For a solo act with backing track, other than if you were working with really subby electronic music (which you're not), subs will be a complete waste of time and add to your cost, carrying burden, and setup time.

As others have said, ideally you'd have a dedicated monitor speaker/IEMs and a mixer that can send to it, as well as giving you some FX to craft your voice a little, albeit that's not critical. And buy a semi decent mic, not a £15 Behringer nasty.

Depending on where you're based, you might find a willing forum member who might be prepared to spend some of their valuable time helping you make your current kit work for you.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby gsc1ugs » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:49 pm

Ok thanks for advice all. think i should of thought about high end gear then it saves time in future, think what your all saying is

PS8 & LS400 WITH CONTROLLER AND AMP

OR
PS10 & LS500 WITH CONTROLLER AND AMP
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:13 pm

Not exactly, what most of us are saying is that your DXR15s are, almost certainly, plenty good enough to do the job and you would be better finding out why they don't seem to be sounding good to you at the moment. I doubt you'll get any significant improvement by changing to the Nexo rig if you don't also sort out whatever the other problems are....... And then you DXRs will probably sound great anyway. If they don't then that's the time to explore more (much more) expensive options.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:20 pm

Just a thought... you do have the DXRs pole-mounted rather than floor-mounted don't you?

If you don't, that would be a reason the bass response is 'off' as far as you're concerned.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby gsc1ugs » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:51 pm

On pole, I don’t want sound simple but when i say boom, its probably thw fact they are 15’s and demo’d in small room, i will agree they would be good enough for gigging but 2 small subs on standby foe the big rooms would easemy mind, 12” subs small active i dont mind
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:28 pm

I'd definitely try to get the DXRs working well first.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby AlecSp » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:32 pm

Ditto to Mike and Sam, the only problem your DXR15s should be giving you is their weight & size.

When you say they're "boomy", there's always the risk that you have a completely different use of the word than others (I know my wife calls things boomy, and means something completely different from me).

If you're having problems with the DXRs, I'd be completely unsurprised if you didn't have similar problems with £20k of spanky kit...
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:52 pm

AlecSp wrote:
If you're having problems with the DXRs, I'd be completely unsurprised if you didn't have similar problems with £20k of spanky kit...

Quite so...

My money's on a hall/room with poor acoustics where the system hadn't been EQ'd to the room.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:02 pm

The OP has issues WRT eq as neither of his available desks have much eq to work with. Money might be better spent on a Berry XR12 (at a few quid over £200) and a cheap 'droid tablet.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby MarkPAman » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:07 pm

Very true.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:02 am

Very true indeed! :)

ANY speaker or speaker system, whether it costs £50 or £5000, will sound duff in a dodgy room unless some decent graphic EQ adjustment is in the amplification chain.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby gsc1ugs » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:12 am

I have eq now will sound check today with MP3 backin and vocal
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby gsc1ugs » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:16 pm

My desk arrived, got enough eq for me (YAMAHA MG82X), dxr's sounded awesome, really good, if there was a lighter small top that did same i would be made up but for now these are really good.... BUT

I am still missing that thump, i must at this point tell you what i've been using for years.

DESK & AMP - SPIRIT POWERSTATION 350
TOPS - HK AUDIO 150 PASSIVE COMPACT CABS
BOTTOM - SR TECHNOLOGY 350 ACTIVE FULL RANGE CAB ON THE FLOOR

I know, its not a sub but for where i've been playing it certainly gives a thump, now soonn moving into more money, bigger places, tribute madness thing, i need to cover all bases

Thanks for listening
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:45 pm

I'd suggest buying a single 15" sub, maybe a Yamaha DXS15, A sub is not as problematical to transport as it doesn't need lifting onto a pole and usually has wheels. I can manage my EV 15" sub at 35kg or so in and out of the car and only need help if stairs are involved. Anything smaller is not going to provide much 'thump'. But as you go to bigger venues have you considered finding a decent local PA tech/company who will provide the PA and run it for you?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby AlecSp » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:52 pm

gsc1ugs wrote:Now soonn moving into more money, bigger places, tribute madness thing, i need to cover all bases
Or do you. Will you need to provide PA for the bigger places, or will they have their own?

You do sound very keen on spending all that money before you get it, and without really knowing what benefit it'll give you.
AlecSp
Regular

Previous