You are here

Cubase Elements or PreSonus Studio One Artist for my needs?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Cubase Elements or PreSonus Studio One Artist for my needs?

Postby Keyman777 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:59 pm

II have both studio 1 & elements but prefer cubase elements liking the user interface a little better. They are similar besides the vst's. It's Preference though! If elements has the functions you need! I'm surprised nobody suggested reason intro as it might be worth a look as I don't own intro but own & use the full version. I also own full versions of all 3 & prefer cubase for midi. Others have different opinions as it is user preference. I haven't used reaper so I can't compare there.
Keyman777

Postby The Red Bladder » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:42 am

As a studio owner, I get to see and try out just about everything out there. If the OP wants a DAW that does it all, from soup to nuts, from post-prod to MIDI, from ADR to a film score, there are (IMO) just two candidates - CuBase Pro and Reaper. ProTools comes third but fails to deliver adequate tools for MIDI and post-prod (but is the most used in that field for other reasons).

If the OP does not want to spring the £400+ for CuBase Pro, get Reaper and remember to right-click on an item to get all options.

Simples.

But CuBase Pro is unbeatable for MIDI. Period!

But he should stop being a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest, get both legs and blow the extra £300! Live a little!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:03 am

Err, Red, twas said in The Hallowed Pages that if you wanted a DAW that did it all, Samplitude pro X comes very close?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:05 pm

All sorts of stuff comes close, ProTools, Logic, Samplitude - they're all good, but if you are a MIDI-freak and you want to fly, CuBase Pro is it!

I'm not a fan and I don't use it myself - but then I think that MIDI, when used instead of actual playing of instruments is the work of the Devil! But for those of you drawn to the Dark Side . . .

For those of you who make all that dreadful beep-beep, wiki-wiki, oof-oof-oof, weeeee noises that is just a collection of bridges strung together without tune, cadence or resolution, well, the Dark Side beckons . . .
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:01 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:I'm not a fan and I don't use it myself - but then I think that MIDI, when used instead of actual playing of instruments is the work of the Devil!

I agree, I use MIDI for connecting a controller keyboard which I play and record live. The only time I record a MIDI track is when I want that early techno machine sound, which isn't very often now. To me MIDI sounds wrong, compared with live playing on synths. As for adding a 'human feel' to MIDI I can't get my head round that.

Postby OneWorld » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:58 pm

Still Vibrations wrote:
The Red Bladder wrote:I'm not a fan and I don't use it myself - but then I think that MIDI, when used instead of actual playing of instruments is the work of the Devil!

I agree, I use MIDI for connecting a controller keyboard which I play and record live. The only time I record a MIDI track is when I want that early techno machine sound, which isn't very often now. To me MIDI sounds wrong, compared with live playing on synths. As for adding a 'human feel' to MIDI I can't get my head round that.

MIDI is the 'Score' editor for music composed on a DAW, I cannot see how anyone could do without it, even if playing 'live' the notes are sent to the DAW, and if there are fluffs in the played music, then it can be edited and played back to the synth. When you say you are playing and recording live - what are you recording to? Is it you're taking the audio from the synth and recording it as an audio track into the DAW?

I cannot understand how it sounds wrong - all the MIDI is doing is mirroring back the notes that come in from the synth? MIDI is simply a representation of the notes played in much the same way crotchets and quavers are represented on a score sheet, in fact on any DAW that has a score editor you can see the same notes in the MIDI editor. I'm confused as to how it can sound different if the music (MIDI notes) are sent back to the synth that played them in the first place?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:13 pm

Imo - anyone who thinks any particularly technology is the work of the devil seems to be missing the point that it's *always* about the person using the technology, not the technology itself.

It's never been easier to make bad music (or bad films, or bad art, or bad books etc) but it's *our* problem, not the technology.

To me MIDI sounds wrong, compared with live playing on synths.

By "MIDI" in this context, what I think you mean is "painting in notes manually in a DAW" sounds wrong, compared to playing the part (by a musician who can effectively and musically play a keyboard). This is because it's very difficult to manually, consciously program in musical feel. It's not impossible, but it is hard, and generally, if you have enough ability to know what feel is to program it effectively, you probably have enough ability to play it that way.

But don't equate MIDI to "painting by numbers in the edit pages of a DAW' because those are two completely different concepts. You can happily record live playing via MIDI (and audio at the same time if you wish) and use the possibilities of MIDI to good creative use.

Ultimately, no technique is bad, it's the end results that count. Plenty of people who can't play instruments have made worthwhile music, and music that would never have been made by a more traditional approach.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby tonemangler » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:36 am

In my opinion the obvious best bang for your buck is Cakewalk by Bandlab (formally known as Sonar Platinum). This is a fully mature and powerful DAW on par with anything else out there and the crazy thing is that it's totally free! It has a very good midi spec, and runs with unlimited tracks and Vsti's, as much as your CPU can handle. There are tutorials online under both the Sonar and Cakewalk by Bandlab banner. If I where looking for a first DAW for Windows on a limited budget this would be the no brainier choice.
tonemangler
Regular

"I'm hovering like a fly, waiting for the windshield on the freeway." Peter Gabriel

Postby ef37a » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:50 am

desmond wrote:Imo - anyone who thinks any particularly technology is the work of the devil seems to be missing the point that it's *always* about the person using the technology, not the technology itself.

It's never been easier to make bad music (or bad films, or bad art, or bad books etc) but it's *our* problem, not the technology.

By "MIDI" in this context, what I think you mean is "painting in notes manually in a DAW" sounds wrong, compared to playing the part (by a musician who can effectively and musically play a keyboard). This is because it's very difficult to manually, consciously program in musical feel. It's not impossible, but it is hard, and generally, if you have enough ability to know what feel is to program it effectively, you probably have enough ability to play it that way.

But don't equate MIDI to "painting by numbers in the edit pages of a DAW' because those are two completely different concepts. You can happily record live playing via MIDI (and audio at the same time if you wish) and use the possibilities of MIDI to good creative use.

Ultimately, no technique is bad, it's the end results that count. Plenty of people who can't play instruments have made worthwhile music, and music that would never have been made by a more traditional approach.

+1 Des' MIDI is the electronic equivalent of the piano roll and they were produced by some very famous artists.
I only ever saw two. One was falling apart and in the organ shop for repair. The other was an upright and sound pretty good to my young ears and you could run the music at mad speed!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:55 am

desmond wrote:

By "MIDI" in this context, what I think you mean is "painting in notes manually in a DAW" sounds wrong, compared to playing the part (by a musician who can effectively and musically play a keyboard).

A human player has more variations in timing (and volume) than a MIDI track can capture - it is like a low resolution version of the performance to my ears. MIDI has its uses as you point out but I prefer things played live. But I am not against technology, I use distortion pedals on classical saxophone and process sounds beyond recognition. Probably much of the pop and television music I really like was played into MIDI.
I suppose unlike most people I like to commit things. If I used MIDI I could change the synth sound later but I think it is better to make the decision there and then, otherwise mixing becomes a nightmare. I hate mixing, in fact I'm thinking of paying a colleague to mix some things for me.

Postby DanR » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:25 pm

Cubase Elements 8 here. I write instrumental music using midi and having a huge sound set
and excellent midi editing is great for what I do. Very rarely record audio but there’s enough tracks when I do.
DanR
Regular