You are here

MIDI interface for Windows 10

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

MIDI interface for Windows 10

Postby thefruitfarmer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:31 am

Can anybody recommend me a good MIDI 4x4 USB interface that is class compliant with W10?

My old midiman interfaces may need replacing as M-Audio don't seem to updating the drivers.

What's a good one that is rock solid in W10?

Thanks
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Re: MIDI interface for Windows 10

Postby OneWorld » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:35 pm

thefruitfarmer wrote:Can anybody recommend me a good MIDI 4x4 USB interface that is class compliant with W10?

My old midiman interfaces may need replacing as M-Audio don't seem to updating the drivers.

What's a good one that is rock solid in W10?

Thanks

I used to use the M-Audio MIDISPORT 4x4 and it was great, I then traded up to the 8x8 and it was woeful. I had an old Steinberg MIDEX collecting dust and so tried that and it has been trouble free. I use it on WIn10/64.

Another poster on here says he could not get his MIDEX working properly on WIn7 let alone Win10, but I did download the latest driver, which was WIn7/64, installed it and it works fine i Win10/64

However it is not class compliant, I cannot think of a MIDI Interface that is. Although I use the MIDEX I have a MOTU 5x5 which still remains in the box form when I bought it new as a standby, so far (crossed fingers) the MIDEX has trundled on through the years, both with WIn7 and Win10 so has to be at least 10 years. Problem is, getting hold of one. I think most might have been taken to the city dump.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: MIDI interface for Windows 10

Postby thefruitfarmer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:41 pm

OneWorld wrote:
However it is not class compliant, I cannot think of a MIDI Interface that is.

Thanks for your reply, good to read your MIDI journey has been a bit shakey like mine and yeah the midiman midisport 4x4 and 2x2 have served me well for many years. I will probably sell them cheap to someone local starting out with a W7 system or something.

Quite a few MIDI interfaces are described as class compliant now although I think it is a recent W10 thing, not having looked until recently I am not up to speed.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/midi_interfaces.html

Out of this lot the iconnectivity, ESI, miditech, claim class compliance while MOTU and M-Audio do not.

I am currently looking at the iconnectivity MIO4....

https://www.iconnectivity.com/products/midi/mio4

On paper it looks great.

I am attracted by the ability of it run ethernet MIDI (it does USB as well).

It would appear that ethernet MIDI results in much tighter timing than USB. I used to have an Atari and when I started to use USB MIDI on the PC I did notice a change in the timing for the worse. From what I can gather the USB buss does not prioritise MIDI notes and no matter how fast the USB transfer speed is it is not possible to get away from that, even with USB3. Ethernet works in a different way and I want the tighter timing so I am thinking this box could be worth a punt.

Oh yeah, I think with MIDI timing that some people hear the drift much easier than others and some hear it as the same.
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster