You are here

Starting from scratch article

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: Starting from scratch article

Postby blinddrew » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:03 pm

MOF wrote:
So back on topic what is the simplest way for a total noob to start recording?
Hire a recording studio!

You’ll still need to do an article(s) about preparing to go into one though.
What kind of artist/band are you? Making sure your kit is session ready, rehearsing, preproduction of midi arrangements (back to home studio tutorials) etc. :D
All of which is on my list - because it doesn't matter where you're recording, some principles still stand. :)
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10463
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Starting from scratch article

Postby Wonks » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:41 pm

blinddrew wrote:All of which is on my list - because it doesn't matter where you're recording, some principles still stand. :)

But you can sit to play quite a lot of instruments, if you wish.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10886
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Starting from scratch article

Postby blinddrew » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:28 pm

It's the principals who stand, with or without principles... ;)
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10463
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Starting from scratch article

Postby Wonks » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:22 am

Without principles, it's just politics.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10886
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Starting from scratch article

Postby blinddrew » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:21 pm

Briefly back on topic, it occurs to me to wonder, given the learning proclivities of a lot of the people raising these questions, would we be better with a video series?


::: grabs hard hat and ducks :::
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10463
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Starting from scratch article

Postby Wonks » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:42 pm

Or a comic?
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10886
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Starting from scratch article

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:46 pm

That seems more appropriate... :lol:
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 27498
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Starting from scratch article

Postby Wonks » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:00 pm

Captain Robjohns and the Mighty Hobnob battle against the evil Dr Audio Ignorance and his henchman, Room Modes.

"You don't stand a chance against me and Room Modes, Captain!!!"

"Oh yeah?"

"Get him Room Modes!" (Dr Audio Ignorance runs away)

ROCKWOOL!!!

"Ooof!"

BASS TRAP!!!

"Owwwww!"

CEILING CLOUD!!!

"Uggggh...

...uuuuh." (sound of bucket being kicked)

"I guess we won't be seeing Room Modes back here, Hobnnob, ever again."
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10886
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Starting from scratch article

Postby ef37a » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:32 am

blinddrew wrote:Briefly back on topic, it occurs to me to wonder, given the learning proclivities of a lot of the people raising these questions, would we be better with a video series?


::: grabs hard hat and ducks :::

No! When I need to find something out I need to READ* it. Having to sit through minutes of often badly done YT is agony and even then the subject I want may not come up. I would also have to don cans and I get enough stick from SWMBO for being on the lappy as it is, if I cut off her waffle she will chuck her walking stick at me.

So, I want a text, with an index if possible.( I could say I even prefer a paper printout but that would nail me as a REALLY old fart!)

*I must look up that Rode Caster that was so loved in the latest issue. I would have liked to have read of much greater criticism about the lack of a .pdf manual, they HAD to have a sciript anyway FCS! I really hope this ia not a trend?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11650
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Starting from scratch article

Postby BJG145 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:58 am

ef37a wrote:No! When I need to find something out I need to READ it. Having to sit through minutes of often badly done YT is agony

+1

Having all the the YT tutorials out there nowadays is brilliant, but it's been at the expense of illustrated written explanations which are a lot more trouble to create but often much easier to assimilate. That's never coming back though.
User avatar
BJG145
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4297
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:00 am

Re: Starting from scratch article

Postby ef37a » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:07 am

BJG145 wrote:
ef37a wrote:No! When I need to find something out I need to READ it. Having to sit through minutes of often badly done YT is agony

+1

Having all the the YT tutorials out there nowadays is brilliant, but it's been at the expense of illustrated written explanations which are a lot more trouble to create but often much easier to assimilate. That's never coming back though.

Well, we can still complain and perhaps slow down the rot! I have just emailed Rode and made it politely quite palin that my first step toward buying a product is to find a well written specification and .pdf manual. The RodeCaster falls at both fences (though I am sure it is as good as you say Mr W!) . Ok, THAT box of tricks might be very intuitive (to an expert like PW?) but HTH do you consult a video during a session? Especially if you only have one screen. At least you can print out a .pdf.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11650
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Starting from scratch article

Postby blinddrew » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:28 am

It's a good point Dave, but i would humbly suggest that you're not really the target market for this series of content. :)
However, in terms of addressing your points: any decent video should have a transcript available, similarly, it's simple to put a table of contents in the intro and notes to show what's being covered, and finally, i'd expect an SOS video to be well produced and to focus on the subject (rather than the presenter - which is a bugbear of mine!)
:)
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10463
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Starting from scratch article

Postby ef37a » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:44 am

blinddrew wrote:It's a good point Dave, but i would humbly suggest that you're not really the target market for this series of content. :)
However, in terms of addressing your points: any decent video should have a transcript available, similarly, it's simple to put a table of contents in the intro and notes to show what's being covered, and finally, i'd expect an SOS video to be well produced and to focus on the subject (rather than the presenter - which is a bugbear of mine!)
:)

I agree I am not likely to get into podcasting and yes, an SOS video would I am sure be of the highest standard but that still does not detract from the fact that you need a screen to view it on. This might not be so important in a podding situation where the user might have several devices available but the beginner IS likely to have but one computer.

You suggest I am unlikely to need either instruction manuals or videos? Maybe I have had more experience than the newb but since I always refer such folks TO the documentation I can hardly not follow my own advice? The fact is, if the documentation is badly done (or does not exists!) this reflects badly IMO on the product and company.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11650
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Starting from scratch article

Postby ef37a » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:17 pm

Humphrump!
After several hours the mailer demon has just reported that it cannot deliver my email to Rode.

That has further demoted them in my estimation. They do have one of those nosy forms but, stuff 'em.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11650
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Starting from scratch article

Postby blinddrew » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:54 pm

ef37a wrote:I agree I am not likely to get into podcasting and yes, an SOS video would I am sure be of the highest standard but that still does not detract from the fact that you need a screen to view it on. This might not be so important in a podding situation where the user might have several devices available but the beginner IS likely to have but one computer.
True, but that applies as much to an online article as it does to a video. And alt+tab is easy enough. You could make an argument either way about having the audio from a video continue whilst you switch between applications.

ef37a wrote:You suggest I am unlikely to need either instruction manuals or videos?
I don't think I did actually, I certainly didn't mean to and apologies if it came across that way.
What I was suggesting is that a lot of people who come here for advice use video as their preferred style of learning; you can see that from the number of 'can you point me to a youtube?' questions we get. This being a completely voluntary situation, if you don't provide material in the format that it's wanted people will simply go elsewhere.

ef37a wrote:Maybe I have had more experience than the newb but since I always refer such folks TO the documentation I can hardly not follow my own advice?
Very good point. I suspect there needs to be a balance of material, some of which will have a long-term reference value (better in print), some of which may serve simply to introduce a concept or approach (possibly better in video).

ef37a wrote:The fact is, if the documentation is badly done (or does not exists!) this reflects badly IMO on the product and company.
I think we might be mixing our objectives here, but yes, good documention is essential in any field if you're going for anything more than a quick dabble as a bit of hobby.
But if it isn't read by the target audience it's not doing its job. A lot of the queries we get are from people who just want to plug A into B and get on with the music; we can tackle C and D if and when they're interested.
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10463
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

PreviousNext