You are here

Early Sound On Sound Issues...

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: Polyphony Archive now complete

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:43 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
desmond wrote:We launched our Polyphony archive just over a week ago, and the collection is now *complete* - all 45 issues have been sourced, scanned, and PDF'd for your enjoyment.

Ooh - a magazine I've never heard of before that I can now read at my leisure 8-)

Surprised you weren't aware of it, it's kind of legendary in certain circles!

I've also added another one - "Synapse"
http://www.muzines.co.uk/mags/sy/all

I haven't managed to hear back from anyone regarding permissions yet, so for now I won't be adding any content (but issues #3 to #12 were posted online by the founder a few years ago and are already around on the internet if you look around).

We've sourced issue #2 and are still looking for issue #1...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Early Sound On Sound Issues...

Postby Luke W » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:00 pm

I don't know how I didn't see this sooner, had a little browse through the SOS issue from the month I was born, really interesting (at least for someone as boring as myself!).

Great work, thanks!
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby zenguitar » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:24 pm

Luke W wrote:I had a little browse through the SOS issue from the month I was born

OH! The unintended callousness of youth. So many of the regulars here remember buying the 1st issue of SOS as an adult. The bubble has been burst, we can't pretend we're 30 somethings anymore.

:)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Luke W » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:57 pm

zenguitar wrote:
Luke W wrote:I had a little browse through the SOS issue from the month I was born

OH! The unintended callousness of youth. So many of the regulars here remember buying the 1st issue of SOS as an adult. The bubble has been burst, we can't pretend we're 30 somethings anymore.

:)

Andy :beamup:

Sorry, I'll pipe down :lol:
Luke W
Regular
Techie / Musician Of Sorts

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:13 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
desmond wrote:We launched our Polyphony archive just over a week ago, and the collection is now *complete* - all 45 issues have been sourced, scanned, and PDF'd for your enjoyment.

Ooh - a magazine I've never heard of before that I can now read at my leisure 8-)

Craig Anderton was the Editor of Polyphony, I recall, and it became Electronic Musician magazine, which Craig edited for many moons.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 10,861 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:21 pm

Forum Admin wrote:Craig Anderton was the Editor of Polyphony, I recall, and it became Electronic Musician magazine, which Craig edited for many moons.

Yep - well, Marvin Jones was the founding editor, but Craig took over from him during the run, and then Polyphony eventually became EM.

I have the first two EM issues still produced by Polyphony Publishing - in content, they are still very much Polyphony, but due to the name change and potential rights issues surrounding it (EM is still a going concern), decided to not include them in the Polyphony archive, unless Craig would have said it was ok to do so.

I tried a few times to contact Craig to let him know about our plans to do the Polyphony archive, but he's a busy chap and all...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:04 pm

desmond wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:

Surprised you weren't aware of it, it's kind of legendary in certain circles!

I've also added another one - "Synapse"
http://www.muzines.co.uk/mags/sy/all

Now Synapse I HAVE heard of, and indeed read a few copies :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:06 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Now Synapse I HAVE heard of, and indeed read a few copies :thumbup:

*synthesiser geek credibility restored*

:lol:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:13 pm

if you felt like it, you could do a spot of Wikipedia editing - eg the current entry for Synapse includes a link to "Read...issues in their entirety", but all the subsequent issue links in that old archive are broken.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:19 pm

BJG145 wrote:if you felt like it, you could do a spot of Wikipedia editing - eg the current entry for Synapse includes a link to "Read...issues in their entirety", but all the subsequent issue links in that old archive are broken.

That’s because the issues were originally posted at Cyndustries, but the site went offline and when it was rebuilt, the issues were never reposted.

As we don’t have any official permissions to provide the content yet, there’s not much point in making much effort to point people to mu:zines, for now...

But yes, many old links out there are broken, including blog articles and so on...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:13 am

It's SOS's turn in the rotation again, and I've just started a new bumper crop of SOS issues this time round.

With this batch I'll get to the end of 1991 (as a nice round number), so that's 18 issues, the first of which has just gone up.

That'll leave 1992 and 1993 to go for SOS (although the page counts do start to rise during this period, so of these issues are pretty sizable!). Still... inching forward...

We've also recently passed 300 issues done, so, "yay" for us! :clap:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby BillB » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:13 am

And what a great issue. I could spend the day wallowing in its early nineties perspective on sound and synthesis. Love it. Thanks, Desmond.

Back to work! :headbang:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:13 am

:thumbup: :clap: :clap:

Well done, sir!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Arpangel » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:43 am

The cover of the May/June 1977 issue of Synaps is an absolute classic.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:49 am

desmond wrote:It's SOS's turn in the rotation again, and I've just started a new bumper crop of SOS issues this time round.

That's a brilliant effort desmond - much appreciated. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

desmond wrote:Image

That's a really useful graph for me - I don't even have the comparative page counts in a spreadsheet. Excuse? We were too busy living the dream AKA trying to get the mag to press at the time. :shh:
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 10,861 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:13 pm

Interesting how the page count goes rocketing up from the beginning of 1992. Is that increased editorial, advertising or both? (Just curious here, ignore the question if the answer requires any research at all).

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby desmond » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:19 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Interesting how the page count goes rocketing up from the beginning of 1992. Is that increased editorial, advertising or both? (Just curious here, ignore the question if the answer requires any research at all).

One of the reasons I built out the stats (mu:zines stats page) is just for these kinds of things - it's useful to illustrate trends, see when particular topics (eg MIDI, Sampling) began and where their peak was, and so on. Obviously you can go to the nth degree of providing stats and reporting features and not that many people will care so I'm not trying to do everything, other than illustrate and extract some interesting takeaways.

Obviously, the PTB will have more definite and informed answers, but usually page counts are in line with advertising spend, which is a reflection on the state of the industry at the time - more sales/profits in the MI sector means higher advertising budgets, and more advertising means larger mags, which can then pay for increased editorial content to balance it out.

(Of course, different mags vary in editorial to ad ratios - some mags have a higher proportion of ads to editorial - this is one of those stats that would be interesting to trend and compare over time, but it's a little tricky to do for various reasons. It's on my improvements feature list, but not really a high priority...).

Usually, at least for a mag like SOS, the ad ratios are probably fairly constant, despite the changing page counts - at least that's the way the mag feels, to me - so the higher page counts are contributed both by ads and editorial, it's not generally one over the other. Being responsible for balancing that stuff I can imagine isn't easy - I'm sure Ian can weigh in with some authority there...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:32 am

Thanks, Desmond.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby BillB » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:51 am

Great to see yet more SOS issues, going up at a rate of knots. I particularly like finding reviews of some bits and pieces I own (e.g. in recent early 90’s issues, the JD-800 and TG33). SOS reviews have often been both knowledgeable and in-depth, so they act like ‘the missing manual’ or at least, the missing introduction that should be read before even touching the manual.

The only downside is that I tend to get gear lust for the things I couldn’t afford first time around (e.g. Ensoniq transwave-type synths) and don’t have space for anyway...
it’s a weird and wonderful combination of nostalgia for the past and dreams of undiscovered soundscapes....
:beamup: :beamup: :beamup: :beamup: :beamup: :beamup: :beamup: :beamup:

Love it. Great stuff, Desmond.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:19 am

BillB wrote:Great to see yet more SOS issues, going up at a rate of knots.

Thanks - this batch of SOS's have been a pleasure to do, the layouts are clean and uncomplicated, and there's not many images to deal with, so I've been banging through them.

(Plus this batch of SOS gave me some clues to answer a long standing mystery I had - see my blog for more...)

BillB wrote:it’s a weird and wonderful combination of nostalgia for the past and dreams of undiscovered soundscapes....

Heh, I'd put that right on my testimonials page, if I had one! :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext