You are here

No Apple News+ Presence?

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

No Apple News+ Presence?

Postby Mobius » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:04 am

Hello,

I don’t see SOS listed in Apple News+. I was wondering if you are dead set against this or if you are still negotiating with Apple to have your magazine in their app, or if there are plans to do so in the future?

I enjoy SOS but only buy the hard copy mag a couple of times a year.

I see Future Music and Computer Music mags are in there, but consider them not quite on a par with you on the quality of content (in other words, I consider your publication superior for many reasons).

Kind regards,
Darren
Mobius
New here

Re: No Apple News+ Presence?

Postby Dave B » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:05 am

Is there any reason to go with this over the standard app? I love the convenience of having the mag on my iPad (just wish Private Eye would go this way) and it's now my preferred way of reading it. What does News+ give that the standard app doesn't?
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:07 pm

It's early days -- Apple News+ was only launched this week by Apple and small independent publishers like us are tending to wait to find out more commercial info about how much we may earn, as it is not as straightforward as the current iOS App Store model.

We tend to prefer to keep a direct relationship with our subscribers, to allow us to offer bundles etc, which is not possible when you subscribe to SOS via Apple as they retain your customer data and do not share it with us, making tech support difficult because we have no direct control over your Apple ID account. If you subscribe to SOS via our website, we know who you are and control logins, password resets, and there are more benefits to subscribing via us directly than with Apple, such as access to web articles, downloadable Full Issue PDF each month, ability to have Digital+Print sub at a discount, etc.

This limitation is likely to exist with Apple News+ subscriptions too, but it will be given due consideration.

cheers,
Ian G
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 10,811 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
Get FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby Mobius » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:20 pm

Dave B wrote:Is there any reason to go with this over the standard app? I love the convenience of having the mag on my iPad (just wish Private Eye would go this way) and it's now my preferred way of reading it. What does News+ give that the standard app doesn't?

Not if looked at in isolation, but when bundled with other magazines of interest then it starts to look more attractive. A unified interface for all the magazines or articles you may enjoy is just a better experience. If SOS is all you need then obviously stick with their own method of delivery.
Mobius
New here

Postby Mobius » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:21 pm

Forum Admin wrote:It's early days -- Apple News+ was only launched this week by Apple and small independent publishers like us are tending to wait to find out more commercial info about how much we may earn, as it is not as straightforward as the current iOS App Store model.

We tend to prefer to keep a direct relationship with our subscribers, to allow us to offer bundles etc, which is not possible when you subscribe to SOS via Apple as they retain your customer data and do not share it with us, making tech support difficult because we have no direct control over your Apple ID account. If you subscribe to SOS via our website, we know who you are and control logins, password resets, and there are more benefits to subscribing via us directly than with Apple, such as access to web articles, downloadable Full Issue PDF each month, ability to have Digital+Print sub at a discount, etc.

This limitation is likely to exist with Apple News+ subscriptions too, but it will be given due consideration.

cheers,
Ian G

That makes sense. Thanks for the detailed reply.
Mobius
New here