You are here

Phaedrus Audio's new Supertube valves.

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Phaedrus Audio's new Supertube valves.

Postby Folderol » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:56 am

I have considerable suspicions regarding these things. The wording of the blurb looks rather evasive.

For a start, they call the 'tubes' but describe them as 'emulating' the best examples of specific ones. Valves don't emulate valves... they are valves.

Then they state a 'heater' current of 400µA. WTF? I've never heard of a heater current that low. Even the DF9x series of valves drew about 30mA. So clearly these devices are not valves at all.

I find the description borderline dishonest. They are solid-state devices of some sort.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: Phaedrus Audio's new Supertube valves.

Postby Wonks » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:05 am

That they are. Only one of their 'tube' products is classed by them as thermionic, the rest are 'electronic tubes'.

I agree, their wording is distinctly vague, when there really should be no need for it.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:37 am

Folderol wrote:I have considerable suspicions regarding these things. The wording of the blurb looks rather evasive.

For a start, they call the 'tubes' but describe them as 'emulating' the best examples of specific ones. Valves don't emulate valves... they are valves.

I fear you've missed the point here Mr F. These are cunningly designed solid-state devices designed to emulate the specific characteristics of (usually ultra-rare or unavailable) vintage valves. They are used in applications like vintage microphones and preamps where the original valves are unobtainable or unaffordable or of variable quality.

I don't think there is anything evasive or misleading about the marketing, and these devices have a good reputation. Phaedrus are not the only company making solid-state valve replacements, either.

http://www.phaedrus-audio.com/gold_dot.htm

http://www.phaedrus-audio.com/phaedrus_electron%20tubes.htm
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Folderol » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:54 pm

Oh well...
Ah, is that my coat - thanks :blush:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Jack Ruston » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:16 pm

I think the news piece was (I'm sure unintentionally) worded in a rather ambiguous way. It seemed to imply that they had started making tubes...when you read into it, you realise that isn't the case, and then there's this palpable sense that somehow they're trying to somehow trick you. They're not, of course, and as I say, this is just the impression created, I'm sure, unintentionally. But I see why you wound up feeling suspicious.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Trevor Johnson » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:55 pm

Such a pity that Mullard didn't continue manufacturing valves in Blackburn, which was between 1938 and 1982, approximately 6 million a year. Some of those old valves, (NOS!), fetch huge amounts now.

I still warm the heaters and apply HT to many Mullards; long may it continue!
Trevor Johnson
Regular