You are here

Good USB sound module?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Good USB sound module?

Postby Escapegoat » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:11 pm

Y'all are failing to check the obvious thing! The P-115 is advertised as working with the iPad; Garageband is free, and includes squillions of decent instruments that are easy to dial up.

Of course, an iPad isn't free, but it's way cheaper than an equivalent MIDI module. My 2018 iPad was £200 used.

See here for the many ways Yamaha does this: https://uk.yamaha.com/files/download/ot ... _om_j0.pdf - so no doubt, you just need the relevant widget for connectivity - probably the one mentioned above.
Escapegoat
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:11 am

Not too obvious because it's mentioned in the P-115's manual nowhere. Thanks for the thought but I've decided to use the JV1010 along with the Hobbytronics USB DIN converter, both of which I already have and hence will cost me nothing. I'm going to see if I can make some sort of framework to hold them and associated bits like psu for the converter so as to make setup as straightforward as possible for the band when I'm not around.

Thanks all.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Wonks » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:14 am

Simples!

Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby The Elf » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:21 am

That's the hi-hat patch recorded - re-patch for the ride cymbal...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:58 am

Where would you keep the nuclear power plant? Can't help but admire the ergonomic placing of the keyboards, though.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby MarkOne » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:08 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:...I've decided to use the JV1010 along with the Hobbytronics USB DIN converter, both of which I already have and hence will cost me nothing. I'm going to see if I can make some sort of framework to hold them and associated bits like psu for the converter so as to make setup as straightforward as possible for the band when I'm not around.

Thanks all.

CC

So my thought is get:

1U Rack Tray: https://www.studiospares.com/ProductDetail.aspx?p=408890
1U Gig Bag https://www.studiospares.com/ProductDetail.aspx?p=487000

Then you shoud be able to mount the JV1010, the Hobytronics converter, the PSU and all the associated cables in there. Should be quite compact and tidy...

You basically should be able to rock up, plug in the power and the USB lead and play :thumbup:
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:44 am

Or sticky velcro? I stick a battery power supply to various things (Boss MicroCube amp, MultiFX unit) pedals to boards, and other stuff. Stick the midi unit and PSU to the 1010 and bung it in a bag......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:47 am

I certainly had velcro in mind - still tons of the stuff in the house from the days when my wife had stands in gift trade fairs - but MarkOne's idea looks well worth looking into (with velcro, of course).

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:04 pm

Don't know it but line lump PSUs are the very divil for spewing out hum or, in the case of the SM variety, a field of 100Hz modulated RF.
Tidy up by all means but PSUs will likely have to be a good two feet from any audio wires.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:14 pm

Good point, thanks.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed May 22, 2019 6:02 pm

Did anybody investigate those 'Midiplus" boxes, now I have the EWI I would like a simple way of getting sounds from it. If it's going to cost much I may as well buy a EWI4000 or 5000 instead but for £60.......

I haven't given up on the Raspberry Pi but just can't find the time to set it up just now.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby shufflebeat » Wed May 22, 2019 8:36 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:...if there were any sound modules capable of USB hosting, i.e. a type A port. Such a sound module could be connected to a keyboard by USB with no need for a computer or a USB/DIN converter or anything else except a piece of cable.

Sounds like an iPad/phone.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Apple Watch - the slowest of all the nature programmes.

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed May 22, 2019 10:54 pm

Tried that with the EWI but iPad can't supply enough juice :( An OTG adapter with a means of injecting power to the device would probably solve the problem (but a powered hub and wall wart really don't do it from a portability PoV).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:16 pm

I bought the midi plus Pro version and a very brief play left me sufficiently underwhelmed to request a return immediately. Probably setting up the EWI better would improve the playability but I decided that I would be better off learning to play the EWI and then changing to a 4000/5000 when I'm ready to use it on stage so back it's going.

On the plus (just) side the voices on my battered old Casio DH100 are still audible behind the squealing and howling sounds that emanate from the speaker (it sounds like a rogue theramin on LSD) so it may not be a totally lost cause for the odd jam session if I can get it fixed.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:39 am

First of all, beware Velcro on anything that gets warm, it falls off!

Secondly, bit OT but I thought this might be useful information in several areas?

The network company I worked for did a few empty rack units of various sizes and I think some might be just the bee's leg joints for the small kit assemblages often needed?

Look up "HT Data" (Northampton).

2U Hinged Wall Bracket, Article number: 854-25015

^ One such. They also do "Rack Snaps" which insulate equipment front panels from the rack casing.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:44 pm

Resurrecting this zombie thread 'cos I'm back on the quest for a USB Host/sound module for the Akai EWI USB before giving in and buying a EWI 5000.

Has anybody come across anything since the last post in June) Just to save you re-reading the entire thread :-

a, I tried and rejected the MIDIPLUS box.

b, My iPad can't supply enough power for the EWI USB but the EWI can't be powered other than via USB B.

c, I have a Kenton USB Midi Host box but it means three extra boxes (Kenton, Power Pack and midi sound source) to be able to avoid using a computer?

Current thinking is either:-

1, Back to building the Raspberry Pi 3 system.

2, Make a breakout cable that can supply power to the EWI USB so I can use it with an iPad.

3, find a USB Host capable sound module.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Previous