You are here

Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Re: Best (reasonably priced) control surface for Logic X?

Postby Dave B » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:11 am

Guido3 wrote:Well, I plumped for an Avid Artist Mix. I took some good advice and read up on the pitfalls and it has worked flawlessly so far.

Yay!!

Guido3 wrote:I am even using Mojave so was expecting to have to jump through lots of hoops but it just worked.

TBH, the Artist series should be _fairly_ bulletproof to OS updates as they are network devices and the networking stack is quite stable these days! It's arguably a pain as it means you have to have extra networking bits (hub/switch etc) but that's all standard and cheap these days.

Is your Mix silver or the new groovy black? If it's silver, then welcome to the brave new world of worrying about grubby marks and dirt and how best to clean it. Or maybe that's just my ocd ..

;)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby spanishjack » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:15 am

I never see them mentioned anywhere but I've had one of these for a few problem-free years now - not sure if the functionality entirely fits your brief, but it's really nice quality, (portable) mixer/controller and is plug and play with Logic, Ableton etc.

https://lividinstruments.com/products/ds1/
spanishjack

Postby Guido3 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:08 pm

Dave B wrote:Is your Mix silver or the new groovy black? If it's silver, then welcome to the brave new world of worrying about grubby marks and dirt and how best to clean it. Or maybe that's just my ocd ..
;)

Dave, My Mix is the sexy black (Avid) one. It is lovely!! It's not too big either. I can sit my Console One just in front (or behind) it and they are approx the same length. I've still not decided whether to attach the MC Transport to it or to keep them separate. I'll wait and see how the workflow pans out.
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Postby Guido3 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:11 am

Still loving the Artist Mix but not so the Transport controller. I find myself using the keyboard shortcuts I am used to. The wheel is lovely to use as it’s weighted but at the end of the day it is just being used as an expensive PLAY/REC/STOP button!!! All of which can be found on the Artist Mix.
Guido3
Regular

Postby desmond » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:31 am

When adding a control surface, one of the key things to it being successful is breaking old habits like those...

Many people bought controllers that sat unused because the user was so computer/mouse/screen centric, they just carried on doing that, as the controller sat a few feet over to one side and it was breaking away from the focus to reach it...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Guido3 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:24 pm

desmond wrote:When adding a control surface, one of the key things to it being successful is breaking old habits like those.

I agree.

Having faders is a massive plus for me. Gives me everything I needed - A good buy.

The transport, not so. This is why I tend to buy all my kit 2nd hand. This way, I can try it out and if I don’t like it I can move it on without losing much (I sometimes even make a few quid on it). Open to offers on the transport :thumbup:
Guido3
Regular

Postby Dave B » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:28 am

I tend to use the wheel and transport buttons more than anything else and that's why I'd be more temped to get the transport over the bigger touch screen thingy that I already have. That is a great 'all in one' box but I barely use 10% of what it does and that winds me up a bit.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Previous