You are here

New to Windows 10 Stereo Mix - Recording altered by Volume?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

New to Windows 10 Stereo Mix - Recording altered by Volume?

Postby james090 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:54 pm

I have a Windows 10 64-bit laptop and am starting to use "Stereo Mix" for recording internally.

I did have a weird situation whereby the left was much louder than the right channel, but think i now have that sorted within the properties and putting both Left & Right up to 100% for stereo balance.

As "Stereo Mix" records internally, I'm not sure why altering the Windows 'overall' volume affects the recording?
"Stereo Mix" is digital right? is there a way to bypass the Windows general Volume so that "Stereo Mix" records at its hottest input?
I also found that i seem to get some buzzing/hum from a quiet recording (when i turned the volume down) which I wasn't expecting as it was all internal?

Are there any ways around the Windows "Stereo Mix" / volume so that i get the cleanest digital recording from programs within my PC laptop to say, an editor like Sound Forge?

Thank you
james090
Regular

Re: New to Windows 10 Stereo Mix - Recording altered by Volume?

Postby Agharta » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:03 pm

I set the main Windows playback volume to 100%, mute it and record and that seems to give me the full signal.
I only do this in one circumstance so don't know if it's a Universal solution.
The downside is that your output volume is at 100% so if you play something after un-muting without lowering the volume it might be rather loud.
In the past I didn't have to use this kludge so I presume the driver model has changed over time.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby james090 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:07 pm

Thank you.

I was doing some research, and comparing stereo mix to WASAPI, it was saying that WASAPI is digital and cleaner (for whatever reason) so using something like Audacity with WASAPI maybe an easier option.

I have done this in the past, and edited the recorded files in Sound Forge (my preferred editor) - so that maybe my solution here
james090
Regular

Postby ef37a » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:07 pm

I could be wrong here but, if you hook up a modest interface that has ASIO drivers you will take control away from Windows?

I use the internal card in this i3 HP laptop but almost only for "grabbing" audio from radio and YT. I understand that facility has been stopped in W10?

For "proper" recording I plug in my NI KA6 and use the excellent ASIO drivers NI provide.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby james090 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:22 pm

ef37a wrote:I could be wrong here but, if you hook up a modest interface that has ASIO drivers you will take control away from Windows?

I use the internal card in this i3 HP laptop but almost only for "grabbing" audio from radio and YT. I understand that facility has been stopped in W10?

For "proper" recording I plug in my NI KA6 and use the excellent ASIO drivers NI provide.

Dave.

I have an Audient id-22 which is great and i use that on my Mac, but not sure there is a loopback or 'record-what-you-hear' in Windows 10 via the Audient?
james090
Regular

Postby ef37a » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:53 pm

james090 wrote:
ef37a wrote:I could be wrong here but, if you hook up a modest interface that has ASIO drivers you will take control away from Windows?

Dave.

I have an Audient id-22 which is great and i use that on my Mac, but not sure there is a loopback or 'record-what-you-hear' in Windows 10 via the Audient?

No, there won't be. I cannot do that with my KA6 which is why I say I only used Windows sound for grabs. It is digital coming in and digital being copied so the quality does not suffer AFAIK.

I understand there is a bit of software around that can give W10 loop back but since I do not as yet own a 10 machine I have not investigated the matter.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster