You are here

the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby DGL. » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:03 pm

Two things,
Pictures of the Crave either in production or pre-production have been posted on their FB page
Behringer FB wrote:"Cravin' for Crave"

and Uli has been asking for you synth ideas both for what clones they should do and what you would want in a dream synth.

Uli Behringer wrote:I’ve got two questions for you:
1. Which legacy synth would you like us bring back to life?
2. What new dream synth would you want us to make? It would be great if you could attach a simple drawing or sketch with some features you would love to have. The best design might be built by us and in that case you’ll get the first one for free.
As you can tell we love building synths and other great products for you. And no, we haven’t forgotten our pro audio customers - in fact we'll have something pretty revolutionary quite soon.
Thank you for all the love we're getting from you. You are the sole reason why we exist and we owe you everything.
Let me tell you that this is the absolute best time in our 30 years of our Behringer existence. You can tell, we're having lots of fun :) .
Uli
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:24 am

2. What new dream synth would you want us to make? It would be great if you could attach a simple drawing or sketch with some features you would love to have. The best design might be built by us and in that case you’ll get the first one for free.
As you can tell we love building synths and other great products for you. And no, we haven’t forgotten our pro audio customers - in fact we'll have something pretty revolutionary quite soon.
Thank you for all the love we're getting from you. You are the sole reason why we exist and we owe you everything.
Let me tell you that this is the absolute best time in our 30 years of our Behringer existence. You can tell, we're having lots of fun :) .
Uli
[/quote]

I'd like a legacy EMS Synthi, if the sound could be as good and as authentic as your current legacy products I'd buy one straight away.
My dream synth would be something I haven't imagined, I'd like to be genuinely excited by a new synth, something different, versatile, and very musical.,
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:36 pm

The Synthi was fun but if you’re not a big knob tweaker like me then presets are always a nice place to start.
Perhaps a Super Synthi that has presets and instantly redials all knob settings. (Perhaps Gibson would donate their hugely unpopular Robot Guitar Tuner to the cause!)
How to deal with the pin matrix is another issue
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:48 pm

But then you are talking about a very different synth. And it's a lot easier copying an existing design (even if you add bits to it) than creating something entirely new and very different.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:27 pm

Yes indeed. But with all the current methods of synthesis do you think there might be something original left to be invented? I’m thinking more of ways to generate the sounds as opposed to say a new form of playing the created sound. (Fancy new keybed, ribbon controller etc) Or would the new sounds still be a variation of already discovered techniques?
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:04 am

DGL. wrote:and Uli has been asking for you synth ideas both for what clones they should do and what you would want in a dream synth.

Uli
Jupiter 8 - for sound
Jupiter 8 - for looks
Jupiter 8 - for interface
Jupiter 8 - for nostalgia
Jupiter 8 + MIDI - that would be perfect
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:07 am

Jumpeyspyder wrote:
DGL. wrote:and Uli has been asking for you synth ideas both for what clones they should do and what you would want in a dream synth.

Uli
Jupiter 8 - for sound
Jupiter 8 - for looks
Jupiter 8 - for interface
Jupiter 8 - for nostalgia
Jupiter 8 + MIDI - that would be perfect

Me too, check out this video at around 19.57, I love this guy, very interesting music, very spacey, I think we all love the JP8 arpeggiator...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9eigT6DvHJo
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:54 am

Much as I loved the sounds my old Jupiter 8 made, I grew heartily sick of keeping the thing in tune and was ultimately glad to see the back of it.

Though I'd be interested to see what Behringer might do with a JP8, I do think that Roland's System 8, despite their 'analogue inertia', is 'close enough' - though I still bemoan the pitiful 'my first polysynth' hardware (4-octave keyboard, external PSU, plastic casing) they chose to wrap around it.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby SecretSam » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:12 am

+1 for EMS Synthi.

What about the OSCar ?
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:02 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:But with all the current methods of synthesis do you think there might be something original left to be invented? I’m thinking more of ways to generate the sounds as opposed to say a new form of playing the created sound.

There's an occasional poster on the SOS Forums (he has long hair, and I think he's a Dr, but I can't remember his name) who invents new forms of synthesis using mathematical methods, and his YouTube videos demonstrating their capabilities makes fascinating viewing/listening. I can't track any of his SOS posts down at the moment, but as soon as I do I'll update this post with a link to his YouTube channel.

EDIT: Got him! His forum name is doctornash, and here are the 13 posts he's made here demonstrating various Innovations In Sound Synthesis

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/sear ... 8&sr=posts

And here's his fascinating sawsquaresine YouTube channel (which I've now subscribed to, so I can find it again more easily next time ;) )

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx0g8d ... jIDc8Bp8nA

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Arpangel » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:26 pm

Just a question, what's this Crave meant to be a copy of? Is it a Wasp? after all, it is yellow...

:?:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby johnny h » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:55 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Something like the Jomox SunSyn and Alesis Andromeda. Fantastic, forward thinking synths hamstrung by their terrible bugs and unreliability. Enough of the Roland / Moog rehashes.

Also, must be MPE / MIDI2 compatible!
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby nathanscribe » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:56 pm

Arpangel wrote:Just a question, what's this Crave meant to be a copy of? Is it a Wasp? after all, it is yellow...

You may find some entertainment in comparing its features to the Mother 32.

The Crave has a CEM VCO, the Mother 32 does not. Apart from that, I'm sure it's completely unique and not at all inspired by it...
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby DGL. » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:55 am

And another bit of news,

Synthesizer Icon Hiroaki Nishijima to Lead Behringer’s New Synthesizer Innovation Center in Japan
Behringer announced today that Hiroaki Nishijima, synthesizer icon and inventor of the famous Korg MS-20 Synthesizer, will lead Behringer’s new high-tech innovation center in its Tokyo headquarter.
Behringer’s vision is to build a large research and development center and invite many talented Japanese engineers to focus on flagship synthesizers, samplers and other innovative product designs.
About Hiroaki Nishijima
“Ever since I was a child, I was always excited to disassemble toys and explore how they work. My father and grandfather helped nurture that side of me by teaching me electronics and how to solder while attending third year of elementary school.
During that time, I got into music. I started playing with my brother’s classical guitar and eventually got lessons from an actual classical guitar teacher. I continued to play and improve until I noticed I was becoming better at it than my brother.
As my skills grew more diverse, so did my taste in music. Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Genesis, ELP and I Pooh became my inspirations. In junior high school, I bought an electric guitar and formed a band. That’s when I saw a synthesizer for the first time. It was amazing and I wanted one for myself, but it was just too expensive for a student like me.
When I entered university, I studied electronic engineering and played in a band. While that was going on, I’d also repair my friends’ amps and would design effects on the side. After graduation, I joined Korg to develop synthesizers like the MS-20 series, Sigma, KES and PME-40X series, Z3 and even Korg’s component modeling technology.
Over the past few years I have watched Behringer deliver high-quality synthesizers and pursue a very strong mission to deliver impressive instruments to musicians around the world. I reached out to Uli Behringer because I wanted to be part of his mission and help Behringer design world-class musical instruments. This is my dream, too.
These days, it’s difficult for current Japanese companies to create the types of synths that I used to develop. This is why I joined Behringer because my ambition to create professional analog synthesizers coincides with Uli Behringer’s love of musical instruments and with that I’m very excited to see what we can dream up.
I am currently looking for experienced embedded software leaders and engineers for our new Innovation center in Tokyo. Please can contact us at yuka.ishigami@musictribe.com.”
About Music Tribe
Uli Behringer, Founder of Behringer and Music Tribe commented: “I am extremely proud to have Nishijima San on our team. This man is a legendary synth icon with decades of experience.
Ever since I designed my own synthesizer in 1977, I have always been obsessed with synthesizers and today, Behringer is on a mission to bring back classic synthesizers as well as design completely new instruments and make them available at prices everyone can afford. We at Behringer believe that everyone should have access to the amazing synthesizers and sounds of the 70’s and 80’s.”
Uli continues: “We are currently recruiting experienced synthesizer engineers from all over the world to join us in our synthesizer mission. People interested can directly contact me at uli.behringer@musictribe.com.”
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:24 am

It's amazing to think that someone with that kind of history may be taking the chance to deliver some synths to us again.

"These days, it’s difficult for current Japanese companies to create the types of synths that I used to develop"

I think we have been guessing the same for a few years...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby DGL. » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:33 pm

Some nice pictures of vintage synths at the moment on their facebook. Seems Uli went round some of the vintage synth shops when he was in Japan recently, like the proverbial kid in a candy store!
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:00 pm

This attitude really is a breath of fresh air, isn't it? I really hope they can pull it off.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby BillB » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:20 pm

The Elf wrote:"These days, it’s difficult for current Japanese companies to create the types of synths that I used to develop"

In the case of Korg, that’s not entirely fair:

Monotron (++)
Monotribe
Volca Keys
Volca Bass
Volca FM
Volca....
Monologue
Minilogue
Prologue
MS20 variants
Odyssey

A couple are re-hashes, but it was Korg who proved that was even possible. They led the way, Behringer followed.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby DGL. » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:10 pm

Alas no 909 for 909 day but Crave and PRO 1 are in full production!
Also the bloke who did the GliGli mode for the P600 is now working for behringer (unfortunately I'm on my phone I can't his name and I can't remember it)
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:20 pm

BillB wrote:
The Elf wrote:"These days, it’s difficult for current Japanese companies to create the types of synths that I used to develop"

In the case of Korg, that’s not entirely fair:

Monotron (++)
Monotribe
Volca Keys
Volca Bass
Volca FM
Volca....
Monologue
Minilogue
Prologue
MS20 variants
Odyssey

A couple are re-hashes, but it was Korg who proved that was even possible. They led the way, Behringer followed.
Just to be clear - it's not *me* saying that - it's the Japanese engineer that Uli has employed! To be fair he says it's 'difficult', but doesn't say 'impossible'.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext