You are here

Help taming brightness/buzz of archtop guitar when releasing finger

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Help taming brightness/buzz of archtop guitar when releasing finger

Postby DC-Choppah » Sun May 05, 2019 9:37 pm

I have a Peerless Monarch that has a quirk that I would like to adjust.

The problem is when releasing my finger from a note, the bright buzz sound is very noticeable. This is much louder of a buzz than on other guitars when releasing a finger. This is not fret buzz due to a bad setup. That has been adjusted. This is the resonant sound of the guitar body being very bright and picks up and amplifies that buzz sound as the finger is released.

The guitar has been setup with a new nut and frets and leveled by a Luthier and plays and feels great.

The guitar has a wooden floating bridge.

When my helper puts a finger on top of the string where it sits on the bridge and pushes down, the zinginess associated with a fret-hand finger release is greatly reduced. The zingy buzzy sound is reduced down to the normal amount I am used to on other guitars. I like the tone, but this reduces the sustain.

So it would seem that some adjustment to the bridge could cure the finger-release-zinginess problem.

It's like a momentary buzz that resonates the guitar as the finger comes off the fret.

I can also duplicate the buzz by plucking an open string and touching the string lightly with the pick. On this guitar. I can wake up a very loud buzz for a moment doing that. Other guitars (including hollow bodies I have) don't resonate that way. So I would like to cut that zingy-buzz down.

Does anyone know of this problem or how to address it?

Perhaps something under the feet of the wooden bridge?
User avatar
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1440
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:00 am
Location: MD, USA

Re: Help taming brightness/buzz of archtop guitar when releasing finger

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun May 05, 2019 11:06 pm

Do you have round wound or flat wound strings on it? I have flat wounds on my arch top and, not surprisingly, I don't have that problem, nor on my gypsy jazz guitar which has Argentine strings (silver plated copper roundwound). Putting something under the bridge feet will probably kill the sustain but is easy to try.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12704
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Help taming brightness/buzz of archtop guitar when releasing finger

Postby DC-Choppah » Sun May 05, 2019 11:45 pm

Flat wounds.

I've never tried round wounds on this. I wonder if that will make the zinginess better or worse?
User avatar
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1440
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:00 am
Location: MD, USA

Re: Help taming brightness/buzz of archtop guitar when releasing finger

Postby DC-Choppah » Mon May 06, 2019 2:14 am

The zingy sounds happen on the unwound strings too. Especially B string just above the 12th fret.

Here is a little noodling around. First I make the zingy sound on purpose on the B string and then the D string so you can hear what I mean.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lSy0v ... T6-8FhGhX1

Then I play a bit and you can hear when it happens sometimes.

This is recorded with the guitar unplugged with my portable stereo recorder 1' away from where I pick, with the mics in XY.

Zingy - see what I mean?


You can feel the guitar body resonate when it hits a strong zingy resonance. I would like to find a way to dampen this.
User avatar
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1440
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:00 am
Location: MD, USA

Re: Help taming brightness/buzz of archtop guitar when releasing finger

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon May 06, 2019 9:23 am

I can't access the file on the dodgy internet here, will try when I get home tomorrow.

Just a thought though, could it be the non sounding part of the string between the tailpiece and bridge resonating? Easy to try damping that. Both my archtop and gypsy guitar do so, just weave some fabric or thin foam through the strings.
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12704
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Help taming brightness/buzz of archtop guitar when releasing finger

Postby John Egan » Mon May 06, 2019 9:51 am

DC-Choppah wrote:The zingy sounds happen on the unwound strings too. Especially B string just above the 12th fret.

Here is a little noodling around. First I make the zingy sound on purpose on the B string and then the D string so you can hear what I mean.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lSy0v ... T6-8FhGhX1

Then I play a bit and you can hear when it happens sometimes.

This is recorded with the guitar unplugged with my portable stereo recorder 1' away from where I pick, with the mics in XY.

Zingy - see what I mean?


You can feel the guitar body resonate when it hits a strong zingy resonance. I would like to find a way to dampen this.

Is the break angle over the bridge steep enough? Sometimes a shallow break angle can produce unwanted resonance. What kind of tailpiece does the guitar have ? Is there any opportunity to increase the break angle ?
Regards, John
User avatar
John Egan
Regular
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Staffordshire, England

Re: Help taming brightness/buzz of archtop guitar when releasing finger

Postby DC-Choppah » Tue May 07, 2019 3:03 am

Sam Spoons wrote:I can't access the file on the dodgy internet here, will try when I get home tomorrow.

Just a thought though, could it be the non sounding part of the string between the tailpiece and bridge resonating? Easy to try damping that. Both my archtop and gypsy guitar do so, just weave some fabric or thin foam through the strings.

Thanks for that.

I already have a piece of felt that I weave between the strings there to dampen that high pitched ringing from that effect.
User avatar
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1440
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:00 am
Location: MD, USA

Re: Help taming brightness/buzz of archtop guitar when releasing finger

Postby DC-Choppah » Tue May 07, 2019 3:26 am

John Egan wrote:Is the break angle over the bridge steep enough? Sometimes a shallow break angle can produce unwanted resonance. What kind of tailpiece does the guitar have ? Is there any opportunity to increase the break angle ?
Regards, John

You may be on to something.

Here are some photos.

Image

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkcTXoLsDqKlm2NgLSSmbyszjs_h

Image

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkcTXoLsDqKlm2L-mpTSBmrUIzzG

Image

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkcTXoLsDqKlm2E9tSY66q37-Nb_

Image

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkcTXoLsDqKlm2AUQocx47gB3hCu

It looks like the break angle is very shallow at the bridge.

Can you see a way to increase the break angle?
User avatar
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1440
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:00 am
Location: MD, USA

Re: Help taming brightness/buzz of archtop guitar when releasing finger

Postby John Egan » Tue May 07, 2019 9:25 am

DC-Choppah wrote:
It looks like the break angle is very shallow at the bridge.

Can you see a way to increase the break angle?


Unfortunately, I can't access the photos.

Two things spring to mind :
Is it possible to wrap the strings under the tailpiece bar ? I realise that this might not be possible, depending on the design, but it's worth mentioning.
How much relief do you have in the neck ? Are you able to reduce the relief and then raise the action slightly to increase the break angle ?
Is the hinge on the tailpiece adjustable for angle ? This is probably unlikely.

Maybe the experienced luthiers here could make better suggestions.

Regards, John
User avatar
John Egan
Regular
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Staffordshire, England

Re: Help taming brightness/buzz of archtop guitar when releasing finger

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue May 07, 2019 9:44 am

John Egan wrote:Unfortunately, I can't access the photos.

I've inserted them directly into the post above.

H
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 27498
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Help taming brightness/buzz of archtop guitar when releasing finger

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue May 07, 2019 9:49 am

It doesn't look possible to increase the break angle though it doesn't look too shallow to me TBH. WRT passing under the tailpiece bar with a floating tailpiece that would make no difference other than to make the tailpiece sit higher above the body but is not possible with the design. of tailpiece on this guitar anyway.

Nice looking guitar BTW :thumbup:

edit :- I still can't access the audio file BTW
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12704
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Help taming brightness/buzz of archtop guitar when releasing finger

Postby John Egan » Tue May 07, 2019 11:23 am

Thanks for the help with the photos, Hugh.

As Sam Said, the break angle looks OK to me. What gauge strings are you using ? I am trying to think of ways to increase downward pressure on the bridge.
It is a nice looking guitar and sounds good too.
Regards, John
User avatar
John Egan
Regular
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Staffordshire, England

Re: Help taming brightness/buzz of archtop guitar when releasing finger

Postby DC-Choppah » Wed May 08, 2019 1:58 am

John Egan wrote:What gauge strings are you using ?

11's

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetai ... ght__11_50

I would certainly consider changing string type and gauge if that would help. I like the tone of heavier strings and wold consider that next if it might help with the zingies.

Heavier strings = more tension right? Pushing down harder on the bridge? I am used to playing 11's or 12's.
User avatar
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1440
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:00 am
Location: MD, USA

Re: Help taming brightness/buzz of archtop guitar when releasing finger

Postby John Egan » Wed May 08, 2019 12:54 pm

DC-Choppah wrote:
John Egan wrote:What gauge strings are you using ?

11's

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetai ... ght__11_50

I would certainly consider changing string type and gauge if that would help. I like the tone of heavier strings and wold consider that next if it might help with the zingies.

Heavier strings = more tension right? Pushing down harder on the bridge? I am used to playing 11's or 12's.


I would have thought that 11s or 12s were quite heavy enough to put the right pressure on the bridge.
You said that a luthier had made and fitted a new nut for you, so I would turn my attention to the bridge itself. Is there anything unusual about it. When removed does it rattle or is it cracked. Are the adjusters secure.
I'm running out of things to suggest now - sorry.
Regards, John
User avatar
John Egan
Regular
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Staffordshire, England

Re: Help taming brightness/buzz of archtop guitar when releasing finger

Postby DC-Choppah » Thu May 09, 2019 1:52 pm

John Egan wrote:You said that a luthier had made and fitted a new nut for you, so I would turn my attention to the bridge itself. Is there anything unusual about it. When removed does it rattle or is it cracked. Are the adjusters secure.

Well, the bridge is glued to the guitar! I can't get it off. Could that be an issue?
User avatar
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1440
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:00 am
Location: MD, USA

Next