You are here

the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby Escapegoat » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:34 am

The Elf wrote:An extra octave would generate fewer sales? I find that very hard to believe!

The people in this thread do not represent the majority of either customers of ££££s spent. Like a lot of people here, I suppose, I've got a 4-deck Jaspers stand, and space for two more 5-octave keyboards. Size is not a problem (at least in this area!) for us.

But take one moment to appreciate all of the recent synth successes: Volcas, Boutiques, Minilogues, JD-Xis, Dreadboxes, and dozens of indie synth makers making ... well ... small synths. The Deepmind 12 was roundly criticised for being 4-oct when it had 12 voices. But then was a huge sales success. Same with OB6/P6/etc System 8, JD-XA.

The reason is that today's synth market is dominated by people who do not have as much space as us. Many are still stuck at home with Mum and Dad (did you miss all of those Guardian articles about getting on the housing ladder?). If they don't have space for another big keyboard they won't spend their money on the synth, even if they really want it as a tone generator.

So the synth maker can't sell so many. The market is now far smaller - just blokes like us, who have huge amounts of space, and also don't mind spending the extra £50-100.

(In fact, if people like us buy the 3-oct version as we've got the space and we can just use it with one of our 4-oct or bigger controllers, we will prove that Uli was 100% right to decide on the 3-oct version.)
Escapegoat
Regular

Postby The Elf » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:51 am

Escapegoat wrote:In fact, if people like us buy the 3-oct version as we've got the space and we can just use it with one of our 4-oct or bigger controllers, we will prove that Uli was 100% right to decide on the 3-oct version.)
Call it Hobson's choice...

If they wanted to help all these poor folk with no space then why add a keyboard at all? I'd have preferred a module (rackable - I have no desktop space!) to this compromise.

'Huge amounts of space'?!?! You obviously haven't seen my studio! I call it 'The Toadstool' for good reason! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Stickman0_3 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:40 pm

Will we be seeing a Behringer BX7 and a Brophet VS?
Stickman0_3
Regular

Postby DGL. » Thu May 02, 2019 4:04 pm

Well would you like a eurorack/desktop Solina?

Uli Behringer wrote:In the '80's, combining a Solina stringer with a Small Stone phaser was the way to go.

That's our take on it - please ignore the date and price as we haven't decided if and when we will build this recreation.

I would appreciate some feedback from you.

Uli

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachm ... 1556808508
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Thu May 02, 2019 4:20 pm

A bit sad, I know, but I quite fancy the idea of a little Solina module - especially at pocket money prices. My only reservation would be that it it's a bit of a shot across the bows of Waldorf as they already have a small / cheap string synth module. Will be interesting to see if they do build it.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby The Elf » Thu May 02, 2019 4:35 pm

I hope they do this one. It's hard to resist these little gems at these prices. Lovely stuff...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Stickman0_3 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:04 am

Also, a Behringer version of the PPG Wave 2.3?
Stickman0_3
Regular

Postby Agharta » Sat May 04, 2019 1:48 am

What about a Behringer BBC Radiophonic Workshop that comes in its own Tardis so that's it's small enough to fit in your studio! :mrgreen:
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby BillB » Sat May 04, 2019 6:43 am

Agharta wrote:What about a Behringer BBC Radiophonic Workshop that comes in its own Tardis so that's it's small enough to fit in your studio! :mrgreen:

Great idea! It’s only a matter of time (and space) :beamup:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat May 04, 2019 6:57 am

BillB wrote:
Agharta wrote:What about a Behringer BBC Radiophonic Workshop that comes in its own Tardis so that's it's small enough to fit in your studio! :mrgreen:

No it isn't, you've got a TARDIS!!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby BillB » Sat May 04, 2019 8:24 am

ef37a wrote:
BillB wrote:

No it isn't, you've got a TARDIS!!

Dave.

But we’ve got to wait for Behringer to clone it before it was always available!
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby johnny h » Sat May 04, 2019 6:02 pm

So I finally succumbed to trying out the model D in my friend’s studio. As much as I wanted to hate it, I have to say I’m pretty impressed. Sounds fantastic for the money, and better than the Roland / studio electronics copy.
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby DGL. » Mon May 06, 2019 9:56 pm

How about a DS80 :thumbup: :clap: :bouncy:
https://www.facebook.com/BEHRINGER/phot ... =3&theater

Behringer Facebook wrote:Around a month ago we acquired an original and long extinct CS80 and ever since we've been working on coming up with our own DS80 version.
Please bear in mind that this will be a design study only and we love to get your feedback before we decide how to move forward. We will be sharing our design in the next few days. Fasten your seatbelts.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby DGL. » Tue May 07, 2019 3:34 pm

..and here is a link to the renders
https://www.facebook.com/BEHRINGER/phot ... =3&theater

Behringer Facebook wrote:As promised here is our DS-80 design draft;
Multi-Timbral 8-Voice Polyphonic
Analog Synthesizer with Dual Channels
per Voice, Polyphonic Aftertouch,
Ribbon Controller and Patch Memory
We want to be absolutely clear that this a very complex synthesizer project and it is at a very early stage. It will take us a long time to complete, however we are committed to deliver.
Why are we showing you this project at such an early stage? We believe that including you in the design process from the very beginning while help us and the synthesizer community to create a better product - and that's all that matters to us.
Thank you for your participation and now let us hear your feedback... Uli

DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Stickman0_3 » Tue May 07, 2019 3:55 pm

Now I like the look of that! So far that's the UBXa and DS80 that make it onto my list.
Stickman0_3
Regular

PreviousNext