You are here

Do I Need New Microphones?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Do I Need New Microphones?

Postby Smellthevalve » Thu May 09, 2019 1:21 pm

On a side note it would be nice if sennheiser could make a lower price version of the md421 without the switched filter :?:
Smellthevalve
Regular

Postby mpsjazz » Thu May 09, 2019 4:12 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:The problem with that is the change in timbre caused by the difference in proximity effect, little in the case of the trumpet and lots when singing close up. If, coincidentally, the trumpet needs a lot less bottom than the voice then it may work but my gut feeling is that the opposite would be more likely.

Yes you are correct. The trumpet does
sound too bright from a distance, so I try playing into the side instead, where I get reduced volume and a darker sound. But it's a bit hit-and-miss, getting the balance right.
mpsjazz
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu May 09, 2019 5:04 pm

If you have the input channels available two mics is definitely a better solution. A decent vocal mic will handle the high dB level from the trumpet fine and allow you to use the proximity effect to warm the sound up but it will need far less gain than the one used for vocals.

With what you have I'd use the 845 for vox as it's more directional and will reject stage sound better and, given that it will need a fair bit of gain applied, will be better at rejecting feedback and the 815 for trumpet, cardioid but will need much less gain so spill won't be as much of an issue.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby mpsjazz » Thu May 09, 2019 5:20 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:... With what you have I'd use the 845 for vox as it's more directional and will reject stage sound better and, given that it will need a fair bit of gain applied, will be better at rejecting feedback and the 815 for trumpet, cardioid but will need much less gain so spill won't be as much of an issue.

Thanks for your thoughts. I've started using the e815S as an instrumental mic. Let's see how I get on, over time.
mpsjazz
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu May 09, 2019 10:05 pm

Sounds good :thumbup: .

You were also concerned about the 845 being dull with your voice and needing to "whack up the treble"? It shouldn't need a huge amount of eq to sound decent so, unless you 845 really is faulty (unlikely but possible) it sounds like you have other issues with the rig or, as you suggest, your hearing (an occupational hazard unfortunately). Getting both checked might be worthwhile.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri May 10, 2019 10:06 am

Smellthevalve wrote:On a side note it would be nice if sennheiser could make a lower price version of the md421 without the switched filter :?:

They had the MD422 - still available second-user - which was a smaller and cheaper (I think) version) but is still had the switched filter. They can still be had for reasonable money as people don't know them like the 421 and don't realise how good they are!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby John Willett » Fri May 10, 2019 2:13 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:
John Willett wrote:Oh yes - but I won that one in a competition, so didn't actually buy it

Winning a mic in a competition? I thought that was illegal under the Small Desirable Items - Unrealistic Expectations Act of 1932!

CC

:D

It was at Musikmesse, Frankfurt a few years ago - "leave your card and win a mic." - It was my card they pulled out an I won the mic.

It was actually a very good. LDC mic with an excellent SOS review, but I mostly used SDCs and never used it - so I sold it on at a good price for someone who would value it a lot more than me.

I actually also won a DPA T-shirt (or polo shirt) - but after they informed me I had won it, they never sent me anything at all. :thumbdown:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri May 10, 2019 7:02 pm

Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri May 10, 2019 7:32 pm

That's a very cool looking mic Mike :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat May 11, 2019 9:25 am

It's only a fleshwound!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat May 11, 2019 10:07 am

Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Aural Reject » Sat May 11, 2019 11:55 am

John Willett wrote:I actually also won a DPA T-shirt (or polo shirt) - but after they informed me I had won it, they never sent me anything at all. :thumbdown:

They heard you were going to sell it ;)
Aural Reject
Frequent Poster

Postby John Willett » Sat May 11, 2019 12:05 pm

Aural Reject wrote:
John Willett wrote:I actually also won a DPA T-shirt (or polo shirt) - but after they informed me I had won it, they never sent me anything at all. :thumbdown:

They heard you were going to sell it ;)

No - I would have worn it - I still wear all my old Sennheiser ones - including the UK Eurovision one. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat May 11, 2019 11:01 pm

John Willett wrote:including the UK Eurovision one. :thumbup:

Have you no shame?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Postby John Willett » Mon May 13, 2019 10:11 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:
John Willett wrote:including the UK Eurovision one. :thumbup:

Have you no shame?

CC

Says concertina man ;) :bouncy:

Actually, I was in the audience of the Eurovision Song Contest in Birmingham, I went to the backstage party afterwards and met several of the contestants. I managed to say a few words with the Slovak contestant in her own language. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Previous