You are here

Software FX and Hardware Character

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Software FX and Hardware Character

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue May 14, 2019 3:09 pm

Oh, nice find Martin. I've just had a quick shufty at a few youtube videos and I really like what it does to the sound.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Martin Walker » Tue May 14, 2019 3:31 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Oh, nice find Martin. I've just had a quick shufty at a few youtube videos and I really like what it does to the sound.

Yep - when one instance is placed on a single track the results can be extremely subtle (just as the euphonic contributions of transformers should be), but you can nevertheless hear them.

However, once these subtle additions get multiplied across a project the results (to my ears anyway) are gorgeous - not a tonal change but a certain 'something' that is instantly audible.

You can also drive it way over the top for more obvious distortion, and all the results in between (more obvious 'grit' for instance that glues itself beautifully to the original sound without dominating it). After some practice exploring all the control, I now find it one of the most controllable plug-ins in my arsenal.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Zukan » Tue May 14, 2019 4:35 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
Zukan wrote:With regards to achieving 'colour' in software form I tend to use pres.

What pres do you use Zuke?

I've recently fallen in love with Kazrog True Iron for adding colour - the GUI is huge on my screen ( abit too big actually, but a smaller one is promised in a future update) yet very easy to read. The difference is subtle (as it should be), but the combined extra transformer-like 'dimension' and 'depth' you get even just pasting in the default preset into each channel of a mix has amazed me. It's low CPU as well.

https://kazrog.com/products/true-iron/

The demo version is frustrating because it fades out periodically, making it difficult to judge results on a multi-channel mix, but I bought it a few days ago and am well pleased with the full version thus far.

Here's a representative before/after audio demo (not quite level matched, but I think you can still clearly hear the improvement in separation):

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/video- ... self-y5jrd

Martin

I'm very much on the Acustica Audio bandwagon. The pres off the strips are wonderful. I might use the odd Waves pre again off a strip but I generally stick with Acustica.
Zukan

Postby OneWorld » Wed May 15, 2019 12:14 pm

I understand it takes more coding but when someone like this http://www.alexhilton.net/A1AUDIO/ can give true scalability on free stuff i don't think the bigger companies have much of a leg to stand on in regard to cheaping out on their interfaces.

I take your point there.I was in the market for a simple VU meter and about to buy when I came across some freeware, does exactly the same job, and looks the part too - the text is pin sharp, it's an exemplar of good design - and free!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed May 15, 2019 5:34 pm

I've gone ahead and bought True Iron ... now all I need is some time to play with it. That's a little harder right now :D
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Martin Walker » Wed May 15, 2019 5:38 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I've gone ahead and bought True Iron ... now all I need is some time to play with it. That's a little harder right now :D

Excellent - I've already spent some time tweaking the output levels of all the supplied presets so that they are within 0.1dB of the input level with audio peaking at 0dBFS, for much more valid A/B testing, and have already created seven of my own presets that highlight aspects of the plug-in that I don't think are currently being promoted.

Give me a shout if you'd like zip file of these, and Ill happily send it over.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed May 15, 2019 5:44 pm

Martin Walker wrote:I've already spent some time tweaking the output levels of all the supplied presets so that they are within 0.1dB of the input level, for much more valid A/B testing, and have already created seven of my own presets that highlight aspects of the plug-in that I don't think are currently being promoted.

Give me a shout if you'd like zip file of these, and Ill happily send it over.

YES PLEASE MARTIN! :wave:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Wed May 15, 2019 5:57 pm

Sent - enjoy! :thumbup:

And when you get time, do let me know if any of my presets turn out to be useful for your purposes ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed May 15, 2019 6:02 pm

Will do. Got them, and thank you Martin :thumbup:

PS: Related link: https://kazrog.com/products/true-iron/t ... he-scenes/ - I don't recall seeing that before, not sure if I just overlooked it or if it's a new page.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Wed May 15, 2019 6:23 pm

:thumbup:

I did mention that page earlier in this thread, and it has been there for some time I think.

I suspected some people might be swayed by the Sylvia Massy connection ;)

(that's Devin the Kazrog True Iron developer on the right)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed May 15, 2019 6:26 pm

So you did. My mistake, having a senior moment!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Wed May 15, 2019 7:16 pm

I had a listen to the comparisons but i was only using my laptop and the level difference made any sensible comparison a bit moot. :(
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby innerchord » Wed May 15, 2019 9:57 pm

In my experience, some changes that a plug-in produces are intentional, and others are not.
Phase measurements can give important clues, as well as frequency response.

Some of the plug-ins that specifically set out to model analog character do a good job. I use a few that I like by Waves and Brainworx.

I just let my ears decide, of course.
innerchord
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu May 16, 2019 8:44 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Sent - enjoy! :thumbup:

And when you get time, do let me know if any of my presets turn out to be useful for your purposes ;)

Martin
Out of curiousity Martin, do you use this as well as or instead of Console 5? Or just as the mood takes you?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu May 16, 2019 9:06 pm

blinddrew wrote:[Out of curiousity Martin, do you use this as well as or instead of Console 5? Or just as the mood takes you?

I only bought Kazrog's True Iron late last week, spent a lot of time exploring its options, and it got its first proper trial by adding it to each track of a Reaper project that already had Airwindows Console5 in place and tweaked.

Frankly I was amazed that the project sounded even better with both in place! And in most cases, True Iron can just be dropped into place without any concerns about gain staging (Console5 benefits from the mix buss peaking close to 0dBFS to achieve the most noticeable improvements - I'll shortly post a page on my web site giving my Console 5 tip and tweaks, along with audio demos).

I will try True Iron by itself on another project though, to see how well it fares.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Thu May 16, 2019 9:08 pm

Interesting, interesting... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sun May 19, 2019 5:59 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
blinddrew wrote:[Out of curiousity Martin, do you use this as well as or instead of Console 5? Or just as the mood takes you?

Console5 benefits from the mix buss peaking close to 0dBFS to achieve the most noticeable improvements - I'll shortly post a page on my web site giving my Console 5 tip and tweaks, along with audio demos).

Hi again Drew!

Well, I've FINALLY finished a write-up of my Console5 findings on my web site as promised, including hints and tips and a before/after audio demo.

SOUNDWORLDS 7: Optimising Airwindows Console5
http://www.yewtreemagic.co.uk/soundworlds7.php

Hope you find it useful!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Sun May 19, 2019 9:42 pm

Excellent, thanks Martin. I'll check that out next time I have the proper system running. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Previous