You are here

Waldorf Quantum...

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Waldorf Quantum...

Postby Zukan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:32 am

Anyone demo one yet?

This is the only synth that has me waters going.
Zukan

Re: Waldorf Quantum...

Postby The Korff » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:20 pm

It's getting a thorough Gordoning in the April issue of SOS!
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:22 pm

The Korff wrote:It's getting a thorough Gordoning in the April issue of SOS!

Is "Gordoning" official office vernacular..? ;)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:37 pm

Yep - first the gear gets Gordoned.

Then we all Reid it :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby desmond » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:51 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Yep - first the gear gets Gordoned.

But only if it's allWhite...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:26 pm

Hugh think it's gonna be soon or what?
Zukan

Postby The Elf » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:06 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Yep - first the gear gets Gordoned.

Referee! A yellow card, at the least!?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Matt Houghton » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:52 pm

Zukan wrote:

That one was a Paul-ing.

...but yes, of Korff it will. :wave:
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:25 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby zenguitar » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:39 am

Zukan wrote:

The current issue (the one we all received a week ago) is the March issue Zuke. So the April issue is released on Thursday 21st for the tablet edition and the paper edition might arrive in the post a day or two earlier.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby desmond » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:51 am

zenguitar wrote:The current issue...

He missed the joke 'cos 'is Inglis isn't so good....
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:16 am

desmond wrote:
zenguitar wrote:The current issue...

He missed the joke 'cos 'is Inglis isn't so good....

He might get it in a Bazil-lion seconds

(I bet I've spelt that wrong!)
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby DavyP » Thu May 16, 2019 11:26 pm

Got my Quantum today, took a lot of heat!

https://youtu.be/co7fs8UXqAk
DavyP
Regular

Postby desmond » Fri May 17, 2019 1:22 pm

So, meetup at Davy's place, who's in..?

:bouncy:

Surely you have enough synth now to last you for, well, a loooong time... :shock: 8-)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat May 18, 2019 1:05 am

DavyP wrote:Got my Quantum today, took a lot of heat!

This is really catchy Davy, I particularly like the little sine-wave-esque riff that comes and goes throughout this jam :clap:

desmond wrote:So, meetup at Davy's place, who's in..?

Sounds good to me :)

desmond wrote:Surely you have enough synth now to last you for, well, a loooong time... :shock: 8-)

Definitely. At least for as long as it takes to get the next one anyway. Or two ... but excuse me, I have to get back to planning exactly where that DS-80 is going to live!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com

Postby DavyP » Sat May 18, 2019 9:40 am

:bouncy:

Surely you have enough synth now to last you for, well, a loooong time... :shock: 8-)

Ha ha, yeah I think I've got everything covered, I do plan to grab a couple of the Behringer Pro 1's when they finally appear.

Always wanted a Pro 1, my favourite synth, but the knock off's seem to be of good quality and near enough sound wise so I'll go the cheapo maintainence free way :)
DavyP
Regular

Postby DavyP » Sat May 18, 2019 9:41 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
DavyP wrote:Got my Quantum today, took a lot of heat!

This is really catchy Davy, I particularly like the little sine-wave-esque riff that comes and goes throughout this jam :clap:

Sounds good to me :)

desmond wrote:Surely you have enough synth now to last you for, well, a loooong time... :shock: 8-)

Definitely. At least for as long as it takes to get the next one anyway. Or two ... but excuse me, I have to get back to planning exactly where that DS-80 is going to live!

Yeah as I said on youtube, it's such a simple little sound yet it ties the song together :D
I've been listening to a lot of Yazoo recently and how effective the minimalism in the songs are and so I've been trying not to overdo it as with so many options there's the risk that could happen and muddy up and spoil the songs.
DavyP
Regular

Postby DavyP » Sat May 18, 2019 3:30 pm

https://youtu.be/9mX3p9-pTik

This video ended badly, when switching off the Polymath I knocked over my imac, broke its screen and took a chip out of the wood of my Moog One.

Not feeling very happy at the moment!
DavyP
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat May 18, 2019 3:43 pm

DavyP wrote:This video ended badly, when switching off the Polymath I knocked over my imac, broke its screen and took a chip out of the wood of my Moog One.

Ouch.. well, for what it's worth, back in the 90s I mortgaged my soul to buy my first 'big' synth which was a Yamaha SY85. It cost me £1500 which at the time was a serious fortune to me and I relied on it at the time for my income as I was in a full-time band.

On one of the first gigs I used it in, an overhead mic stand with an SM57 in it toppled over during the soundcheck and fell mic-first directly into the center of the top of the synth. There was an almighty bang and my heart dropped through my boots.

Rushing over fearing the worst, I was amazed to see that although the point of impact was in one of the narrow strips of casing material between some sliders, the damage was limited to a minor, if noticeable at close inspection, deformity (that looked like a 'chip') in the plastic.

My relief that the synth still worked overpowered any concern about the cosmetic damage and I still have that synth 25 years later... in fact to me the chip has long since become an honourable battle scar, and part of the character of the synth itself.

Looking on the bright side, if something like this was to happen, then at least it's only the wood that got a bit of damage as opposed to the control surface, main display or one of those lovely little info screens.

Sorry to hear about the iMac though - I guess that's a little harder to fix. It's been a while since I left the Apple camp so I'm not sure how viable or cost-effective replacement screens are but again, searching for a silver lining, it's better that the iMac got severely damaged than the Moog.

My sympathies.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com

Postby DavyP » Sun May 19, 2019 11:53 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
DavyP wrote:This video ended badly, when switching off the Polymath I knocked over my imac, broke its screen and took a chip out of the wood of my Moog One.

Ouch.. well, for what it's worth, back in the 90s I mortgaged my soul to buy my first 'big' synth which was a Yamaha SY85. It cost me £1500 which at the time was a serious fortune to me and I relied on it at the time for my income as I was in a full-time band.

On one of the first gigs I used it in, an overhead mic stand with an SM57 in it toppled over during the soundcheck and fell mic-first directly into the center of the top of the synth. There was an almighty bang and my heart dropped through my boots.

Rushing over fearing the worst, I was amazed to see that although the point of impact was in one of the narrow strips of casing material between some sliders, the damage was limited to a minor, if noticeable at close inspection, deformity (that looked like a 'chip') in the plastic.

My relief that the synth still worked overpowered any concern about the cosmetic damage and I still have that synth 25 years later... in fact to me the chip has long since become an honourable battle scar, and part of the character of the synth itself.

Looking on the bright side, if something like this was to happen, then at least it's only the wood that got a bit of damage as opposed to the control surface, main display or one of those lovely little info screens.

Sorry to hear about the iMac though - I guess that's a little harder to fix. It's been a while since I left the Apple camp so I'm not sure how viable or cost-effective replacement screens are but again, searching for a silver lining, it's better that the iMac got severely damaged than the Moog.

My sympathies.

That's the way I'm gong to try and look at it, as a unique feature, like Cindy Crawfords Mole :D I enjoyed your story regarding the accident you had with your synth :thumbup:
DavyP
Regular

Next