You are here

A Little Thunder (bass on guitar)

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

A Little Thunder (bass on guitar)

Postby BJG145 » Sat May 18, 2019 9:11 am

I came across this gadget the other day; apparently there's a new version out shortly. It's a special guitar pickup which lets you assign the lowest one or two guitar strings as bass, like a selective octave effect. Billy Gibbons is a fan, and there's also an acoustic version.

BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: A Little Thunder (bass on guitar)

Postby blinddrew » Sat May 18, 2019 9:23 am

That is interesting, but a $250 pick-up is not something you're going to experiment with...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat May 18, 2019 10:09 am

My experience of bass on guitar using pitch shifters is that it's very hard to do convincingly, particularly with acoustic guitars which is my need. I have a Boss RC300, a GT3 and a Mooer Pitch pedal, I tried countless others over the years. The RC300 is the best and has a dedicated guitar to bass patch but it's still only just usable with acoustic.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby adrian_k » Sat May 18, 2019 11:29 pm

I was gigging with a Submarine pickup through an MXR octave pedal on my acoustic. Worked pretty well for me. And the submarine is a lot cheaper than the Thunder (think it was about £80).
https://www.submarinepickup.com/
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby BJG145 » Sun May 19, 2019 9:11 am

...that looks interesting; similar concept. In fact there's been some debate about whether it was A Little Thunder that shut down Submarine's US distribution for patent infringement...

https://www.submarinepickup.com/usa

Both have their pros and cons. Eg Submarine Pro lets you choose any combination of strings, while Thunder offers a low-note-priority option. Submarine simply clips on while Thunder is a a pickup replacement. Thunder has the octave processing built in, while Submarine would let you use any effect on its outputs.

(There's a demo of someone jamming on an acoustic with Submarine bass here. With the Submarine the quality is going to depend on what effect you run it through...but I think the acoustic Thunder demo posted above is pretty hard to beat...)
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Humble Bee » Sun May 19, 2019 9:39 pm

I would love to try this one out. I’ve been researching this (bass on guitar) on and of for years and so far the most convincing (pretty good actually) is Les Paul P90 neck pickup into a T-Rex Quint...
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Humble Bee » Sun May 19, 2019 11:04 pm

And 250 bucks is a bit steep. And I don’t know if I need to replace any of my humbuckers. The submarine concept is much more interesting and much more affordable. I can see that one on my telecaster...
Thanks for the link! :thumbup:
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby adrian_k » Mon May 20, 2019 7:55 am

Having read that link on supposed ‘patent infringement ‘ I wouldn’t have a Little Thunder if you paid me. Don’t like that way of doing business.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby blinddrew » Mon May 20, 2019 12:41 pm

Patents. The second most abused of the IP big three...
;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...