You are here

Waldorf Quantum...

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Waldorf Quantum...

Postby DavyP » Sat May 18, 2019 9:40 am

desmond wrote:So, meetup at Davy's place, who's in..?

:bouncy:

Surely you have enough synth now to last you for, well, a loooong time... :shock: 8-)

Ha ha, yeah I think I've got everything covered, I do plan to grab a couple of the Behringer Pro 1's when they finally appear.

Always wanted a Pro 1, my favourite synth, but the knock off's seem to be of good quality and near enough sound wise so I'll go the cheapo maintainence free way :)
DavyP
Regular

Postby DavyP » Sat May 18, 2019 9:41 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
DavyP wrote:Got my Quantum today, took a lot of heat!

https://youtu.be/co7fs8UXqAk

This is really catchy Davy, I particularly like the little sine-wave-esque riff that comes and goes throughout this jam :clap:

desmond wrote:So, meetup at Davy's place, who's in..?

Sounds good to me :)

desmond wrote:Surely you have enough synth now to last you for, well, a loooong time... :shock: 8-)

Definitely. At least for as long as it takes to get the next one anyway. Or two ... but excuse me, I have to get back to planning exactly where that DS-80 is going to live!

Yeah as I said on youtube, it's such a simple little sound yet it ties the song together :D
I've been listening to a lot of Yazoo recently and how effective the minimalism in the songs are and so I've been trying not to overdo it as with so many options there's the risk that could happen and muddy up and spoil the songs.
DavyP
Regular

Postby DavyP » Sat May 18, 2019 3:30 pm

https://youtu.be/9mX3p9-pTik

This video ended badly, when switching off the Polymath I knocked over my imac, broke its screen and took a chip out of the wood of my Moog One.

Not feeling very happy at the moment!
DavyP
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat May 18, 2019 3:43 pm

DavyP wrote:This video ended badly, when switching off the Polymath I knocked over my imac, broke its screen and took a chip out of the wood of my Moog One.

Ouch.. well, for what it's worth, back in the 90s I mortgaged my soul to buy my first 'big' synth which was a Yamaha SY85. It cost me £1500 which at the time was a serious fortune to me and I relied on it at the time for my income as I was in a full-time band.

On one of the first gigs I used it in, an overhead mic stand with an SM57 in it toppled over during the soundcheck and fell mic-first directly into the center of the top of the synth. There was an almighty bang and my heart dropped through my boots.

Rushing over fearing the worst, I was amazed to see that although the point of impact was in one of the narrow strips of casing material between some sliders, the damage was limited to a minor, if noticeable at close inspection, deformity (that looked like a 'chip') in the plastic.

My relief that the synth still worked overpowered any concern about the cosmetic damage and I still have that synth 25 years later... in fact to me the chip has long since become an honourable battle scar, and part of the character of the synth itself.

Looking on the bright side, if something like this was to happen, then at least it's only the wood that got a bit of damage as opposed to the control surface, main display or one of those lovely little info screens.

Sorry to hear about the iMac though - I guess that's a little harder to fix. It's been a while since I left the Apple camp so I'm not sure how viable or cost-effective replacement screens are but again, searching for a silver lining, it's better that the iMac got severely damaged than the Moog.

My sympathies.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby DavyP » Sun May 19, 2019 11:53 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
DavyP wrote:This video ended badly, when switching off the Polymath I knocked over my imac, broke its screen and took a chip out of the wood of my Moog One.

Ouch.. well, for what it's worth, back in the 90s I mortgaged my soul to buy my first 'big' synth which was a Yamaha SY85. It cost me £1500 which at the time was a serious fortune to me and I relied on it at the time for my income as I was in a full-time band.

On one of the first gigs I used it in, an overhead mic stand with an SM57 in it toppled over during the soundcheck and fell mic-first directly into the center of the top of the synth. There was an almighty bang and my heart dropped through my boots.

Rushing over fearing the worst, I was amazed to see that although the point of impact was in one of the narrow strips of casing material between some sliders, the damage was limited to a minor, if noticeable at close inspection, deformity (that looked like a 'chip') in the plastic.

My relief that the synth still worked overpowered any concern about the cosmetic damage and I still have that synth 25 years later... in fact to me the chip has long since become an honourable battle scar, and part of the character of the synth itself.

Looking on the bright side, if something like this was to happen, then at least it's only the wood that got a bit of damage as opposed to the control surface, main display or one of those lovely little info screens.

Sorry to hear about the iMac though - I guess that's a little harder to fix. It's been a while since I left the Apple camp so I'm not sure how viable or cost-effective replacement screens are but again, searching for a silver lining, it's better that the iMac got severely damaged than the Moog.

My sympathies.

That's the way I'm gong to try and look at it, as a unique feature, like Cindy Crawfords Mole :D I enjoyed your story regarding the accident you had with your synth :thumbup:
DavyP
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Sun May 19, 2019 12:04 pm

a few... ahem... correction, many years ago I was doing a solo gig up in the lake district and had recently bought a new guitar and a new mic. Having set up for the evening I was taking a brief moment with a shandy prior to starting the set when a passing punter managed to knock over the mic stand and send £200 of mic interfacing with £850 of guitar. Watching the whole thing in slow motion from the wrong side of a table 8ft away did nothing to help relax me prior to my gig.
Still, mic and guitar both survived with no damage to the former and only a bit of a chunk out of the edge of the latter. Looking at it now, it's just one mark among many, each with their own story, most of them now forgotten. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby DoSoS » Sun May 19, 2019 6:39 pm

DavyP wrote:

Davy: Can you please respond as a matter of urgency to my PMs on Elektronauts / emails about the modules.

Everyone else: sorry to pop in here, but I cannot get hold of Davy elsewhere.
DoSoS

Postby DavyP » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:29 am

https://youtu.be/2E7LF4b-gmI

Made extensive use of the Quantum in this one, no gratuitous studio shots in this one, I'm sort of moving away from that unless it's a demo. Make it more about the music than oh look shiney gear :D
DavyP
Regular

Postby IAA » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:57 am

That’s a nice soundscape you’ve created there Dave. Those swells have a nice glitchy component. Very contemporary.

Ian
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:13 pm

Hi yet again DavyP!

You're certainly prolific, and I like this one a lot 8-)

(especially the glitchy beats)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby DavyP » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:55 am

Martin Walker wrote:Hi yet again DavyP!

You're certainly prolific, and I like this one a lot 8-)

(especially the glitchy beats)

Martin

Ha ha I spend ages in the studio with my head bursting with ideas. :headbang:

Thanks for the positive vibes, I did a bit of processing on the percussion with distortion etc
I'd one really good drum sound I forgot to use, I always do the recordings live and must have got distracted at the point it was supposes to come in,

Probably was shouting at my Bulldog Pup Ellie who keeps eating the Garden Bench :D
DavyP
Regular

Postby DavyP » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:58 am

IAA wrote:That’s a nice soundscape you’ve created there Dave. Those swells have a nice glitchy component. Very contemporary.

Ian

Thanks Ian, it almost feels like cheating using the likes of the Quantum and Moog One in a song as they sound good so easily. I've been primarily using then for backing and strange ethereal sounds in the recent stuff I've done. :thumbup:
DavyP
Regular

Previous