You are here

Spotify Ripping Progams - Is this possible

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Spotify Ripping Progams - Is this possible

Postby dbfs » Sun May 19, 2019 11:18 pm

I have come across various programs for sale that offer to rip music from spotify along with artwork and and at the same time remove DRM from the files. I will refrain from naming these as I do not wich to promote them.

I assume that this is not legal, but was wondering how these companies can exist.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Re: Spotify Ripping Progams - Is this possible

Postby Agharta » Sun May 19, 2019 11:31 pm

Take a look on eBay which is supposed to be regulated and you will finds loads of listings for music software that is very clearly not legitimate.
So the web in general which is much less regulated is bound to be full of dubious things.

Are you asking because you are surprised or because you like the idea? :shock:
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby dbfs » Sun May 19, 2019 11:44 pm

Surprised to be honest. I just started using spotify and was reading on how to download Download music and podcasts legally. The internet however threw up a load of other options that are obviously outside spotify.

I know its naive, but I kind of thought the whole point of spotify was that artist got a "little" money, but it was based on plays. This sounds worse than pirate bay to me if artists hand their music over to the platform only to be shortchanged by poor protection. I know that its always possible to capture audio playing on a computer, but to be able to rip the music with artwork etc at faster than Realtime seems crazy. And in theory those partaking are not even file sharing in the traditional sense. Hence the question, is this really possible or am I missing something.
dbfs
Regular
dbfs

Postby desmond » Sun May 19, 2019 11:51 pm

It's probably possible, but only a tiny proportion of Spotify listeners would bother, or have the technical knowhow to do it, so I think it's unlikely to affect Spotify's bottom line at all.

If a user really wants DRM free files, I'm sure there are plenty of places on the internet they could be retrieved from, without requiring Spotify at all.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Agharta » Mon May 20, 2019 12:17 am

desmond wrote:It's probably possible, but only a tiny proportion of Spotify listeners would bother, or have the technical knowhow to do it, so I think it's unlikely to affect Spotify's bottom line at all.

If a user really wants DRM free files, I'm sure there are plenty of places on the internet they could be retrieved from, without requiring Spotify at all.

I've not looked at stats for illegal downloads recently but with Spotify and others costing £10 or so per month I do think that the incentive to pirate music has decreased.
For one off songs/albums I can see the appeal might still be strong but in that case you have been able to do it for decades with various software.
While pirating via the web or old skool methods like Naspter might be alien to young people. being able to do so via Spotify could increase the interest.

I love Spotify so am happy to pay for a service that is platform neutral and doesn't try to abuse it's market position unlike some other services that have been referred to the EU for abuse of power. Some companies are rotten to the core and need investigating.
The EU is one of the few entities that are large enough to take on these pip squeaks.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Mon May 20, 2019 12:36 pm

I'd be very surprised if there were any kind of statistically significant numbers of people ripping stuff from Spotify. There's now a huge bank of evidence that suggests that the single best way of tackling copyright infringement is to make legimate versions available at a sensible price. Spotify (and other streaming services) hit this nail on the head.
For anyone other than the biggest of artists obscurity remains a far larger challenge than piracy.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Mon May 20, 2019 9:43 pm

Streamripping (as this sort of thing seems to be called) is certainly a concern with music distributors although it seems that Youtube is the main focus at the moment. Just today there was a story about these sites now being blocked in Australia

https://completemusicupdate.com/article ... ing-sites/
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page