You are here

Help in promoting my educational channel...

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Help in promoting my educational channel...

Postby Zukan » Tue May 21, 2019 7:44 am

It has been suggested that I should change the company/domain name for the new site to make it more focused on the subject matter. Samplecraze currently implies sampling is the main core of the business. However, I am having a nightmare finding any domain names that are not taken. The few I was able to find after an hour of searching on Easily for domain names are:

mixingjedi.com
themixvault.com
themixingschool.com
schoolofproduction.com
thebeatproducer.com
producerknowledge.com
productiontutor.com
audioproductiontutor
musicproducertutor.com

While I'm at it does anyone know of someone that could help design the new logo?
Zukan

Postby Guest » Tue May 21, 2019 8:37 am

I think you should leave out "the" in domain names, mixingschool.com is fine. If there is already a mixingschool.com then adding "the" although different, would lead to confusion.

Postby Zukan » Tue May 21, 2019 8:44 am

Sadly, that is taken.

Which one do you like Still?
Zukan

Postby Guest » Tue May 21, 2019 9:08 am

I like all of them but as I said I'm not that keen on 'the' in domain names. I think the domain name should let people know it is audio or beats as production could also refer to film making. If mixingschool.com is taken I would not use themixingschool.com. I'm not an expert though.

Postby blinddrew » Tue May 21, 2019 9:27 am

To me they're a bit generic. Good, but generic. The key thing you're selling is you (which is probably why you find it so uncomfortable), it's your knowledge and experience that is the hook here. I'd be trying to find something that reflects that. Zukanmixschool.com or something like that (but obviously using your professional name).
I wonder if there's a better word than school though? Academy is already used by some of your competition, institute? College? Place of awesomeness?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Guest » Tue May 21, 2019 9:35 am

Good points Drew. Unfortunately many good names are bought up by speculators, which incidentally I think should be illegal.

Postby Kwackman » Tue May 21, 2019 10:24 am

Zukan wrote:It has been suggested that I should change the company/domain name for the new site to make it more focused on the subject matter. Samplecraze currently implies sampling is the main core of the business.

By no stretch of the imagination could I be considered qualified to give marketing advice, so read with caution!

Is the name that important? Have you been given examples where a name change worked?
People (over a certain age) still ask for a Marathon bar, Royal Mail changed to "Consignia", then decided it was a disaster and changed back- at considerable cost allegedly. There was the seemingness pointless Jif to Cif....

As to the importance of a name to it's core business, I'm not sure if it's still printed, but "Radio Times" magazine was very popular before TVs with built in program schedules. It's called "RADIO Times", but I'll bet it's been many decades since anyone bought it to look up the schedules of radio programs.

Currently, if you wanted to see tutorial videos on say "Cubase", or "Logic", or "Excel" the name "MacProVideo" isn't particularly the most obvious thing to type into a search engine.

And I discovered yesterday that "Scan.co.uk" sell guitars....

Samplecraze is established and has a good reputation.

As I said at the top, I'm not an expert, but maybe investing time/money into a name change might be worth re-considering?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Guest » Tue May 21, 2019 10:41 am

More excellent points Kwackman that most of us hadn't thought of. Just think of domains such as digg.com, mashable.com, twitter.com, tmz.com - among the most visited websites yet the names are not logical. Also the longer you have had a domain the more confidence people have in it and the more likely it is to show up higher on search engines.

Postby Martin Walker » Tue May 21, 2019 10:47 am

Kwackman wrote:Samplecraze is established and has a good reputation.

As I said at the top, I'm not an expert, but maybe investing time/money into a name change might be worth re-considering?

I agree with Kwackman on this one - Samplecraze is a name already known to many thousands of people, and while the slant of your business may have changed, the expertise behind it is in my opinion more important.

Especially since with a new name you'll have all the hassle of trying to advertise yourself with an unknown name :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Zukan » Tue May 21, 2019 11:13 am

Damn! This is so confusing.
Zukan

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue May 21, 2019 11:25 am

Samplecraze is a good brand name in my opinion. Re-naming/re-branding a business is not to be taken lightly as others have said, because it effectively resets your presence to zero again and you have to make up a lot of ground before you get back to your current online status.

You've got a lot of input going on at the moment Eddie, and it's tempting I know to enact this, that, and the other in reaction but my advice is to continue to collect the feedback on naming, platforms, marketing and everything else into one place (notebook, doc file(s) whatever) and take a little while to absorb it before making big decisions!

One thing you might add to the ideas is to obtain one or two alternative domains that you like and have them redirect to samplecraze.com. This is a case where a 'generic' domain along the lines of the ones you listed above might be more useful as it extends the 'coverage' of the domain name itself to include specific terms.

Zukan wrote:The few I was able to find after an hour of searching ...

You did well to get that little selection in only an hour :clap: (It took me many, many hours over two weeks or more to come up with a suitable name for my commercial endeavour!)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Zukan » Tue May 21, 2019 11:46 am

The thing is Eddy I need to sort the name out before the WP developer starts to build the site.

I have no idea if keeping Samplecraze will help or not and whether a seo friendly title would carry more weight. I look at it from the point of searches.
Zukan

Postby Zukan » Tue May 21, 2019 11:58 am

Great insights Kwackman, thank you.
Zukan

Postby Zukan » Wed May 22, 2019 8:42 am

My WP developer said to use my own name much like Dave Pensado, Bobby Owzinski etc..

What do you guys think?
Zukan

Postby Guest » Wed May 22, 2019 8:59 am

Zukan wrote:My WP developer said to use my own name much like Dave Pensado, Bobby Owzinski etc..

What do you guys think?

I think it's an excellent idea. I use my name on my website as do just about all of my friends and colleagues. Register it now, even if you decide not to use it, you don't know if speculators read this forum.

Postby Zukan » Wed May 22, 2019 9:08 am

Good point. On it.
Zukan

Postby Zukan » Wed May 22, 2019 9:12 am

Got it.
Zukan

Postby Guest » Wed May 22, 2019 9:14 am

Zukan wrote:Got it.

Brilliant - you are really efficient and moving forward.

Postby CS70 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:25 am

Zukan wrote:My WP developer said to use my own name much like Dave Pensado, Bobby Owzinski etc..

What do you guys think?

Which brand is stronger?

If you have a product in an overcrowded area (such as music making or making of tutorials for music making), the main way to thrive is to create artificial scarcity via branding. In these kind of fields, branding is, if not everything, a huge part of commercial success.

Nobody can tell u which one is strongest of course, it's gotta be your evaluation and conclusion. Also, is there a way you can use both? The cost of domains is so small that you could just have a redirect from an eddiebazil.com and then after a year or so see which one gets the most hits.

As a last point, about all this being confusing and people giving you all sort of contradictory advice.. it's alright, because as much as we wish there was, there is no such thing as a recipe or "right" way of doing stuff in business.

You may do something totally dumb, be lucky and come on top.. or do all the right things and end up with nothing. Randomness is huge, in business and life - and as soon as you recognize and accept that, your life is much easier! It's all about doing stuff that you think increases your odds, and not doing stuff that obviously decreases them.. for stuff that you are uncertain about, use your gut, reasoning, throw a dice, whatever makes you feel better! Because as frightening as it is, there's no way around uncertainty.

That said, there are principles that do in general increase your odds.. general mechanism that more or less apply in the many situations where you either aren't exceptionally lucky or unlucky. And the good thing is that it doesn't take any particular expertise to use them, you simply have to reason soundly, with consistency, an descend your decision from these principles.

So instead of evaluating every possible action at face value (should I change my website name or not? Should I move platform or not? Should I make different type of videos or not? Do I need a new camera or not?), think about the principles and derive your decisions from them.

Typical principles (stuff that has a tendency to work):

- economic ones: for example, as above, supply and demand drive prices and ultimately your financial situation: in a crowded market, branding creates the artificial scarcity that is necessary to sell your stuff at higher prices than the competition. No brand, no money.

- attitude ones: simply persisting does wonders. do the same thing for 5 minutes, nobody will care. Do the same thing for 50 years, and even if you're the most terrible marketer in the world, you'll be known for that thing, whatever it is.

- quality: in the long run, it pays off to have a good enough product. It's not the alpha and omega, and it helps in the long run - but you have to survive the long run first.

Again, take it easy: you don't need to find all the possible principles, just find some stuff that you think it's right and apply it consistently.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Zukan » Wed May 22, 2019 10:17 am

Good insights CS.

I am trying to do this right as this is a problem I have faced before. The fact that I try to do everything myself I believe works against me.

I am addressing project in steps and the first step is the brand name. The next step is to decide whether a new platform is required and we decided it wasn't needed thanks to Andy's (Byre) recommendation for a developer who convinced me that WP is just as good as any other platform and actually better as it has specific plugins that can be customised to suit my business model rather than trying to wing it on other platforms with their tools. Finally - marketing.

Setting up a new site with new content, new brand and so on is actually easier than trying to adapt an existing site to allow for the feature sets I need to promote my business. And because I have to work on the existing site I have to address all the suggested issues at the same time. In effect, I have to accommodate for the changes the developer is making.

Here is an example of what I face with the developer:
'Ed, we need trailers for the videos as we need to include them in product description sections. Ed, we need well written seo friendly product descriptions and we need to accommodate the video player on the product page. We need a brand name. We need the logo for the brand name so I can incorporate it in the site............

We are not migrating the site anymore but adapting it with new tools and features and because of this I need to nail everything in place for the developer. This is why it looks like I am trying to tackle everything and at the same time. I'm not. I am actually trying to accommodate for the site wide changes that we need to make.

I am after a decent seo chap, a good copy writer and maybe an intern to help with other areas of marketing. And to be able to use these people I need to have a basic framework to work with.

I want to get this right and at the offset. Once I have a site that functions well and is optimised for search engines etc I can then employ the right people to handle the various sections of the site.

As I am poor in writing product descriptions, newsletters etc I have sought the help of a few people here. I have also been addressing the Youtube issues with my channel and although I have made some changes I believe someone who knows how to promote on this platform would be better suited to manage the channel.

It's very confusing for me as this is an area I have little experience with and thus all the questions.

I am sorry I have been on and on about this and keep adding to this post but I really need to get this right and you guys are people I trust and value therefore I hassle you.
Zukan

PreviousNext