You are here

Help in promoting my educational channel...

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Re: Help in promoting my educational channel...

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed May 22, 2019 10:36 am

OK, what you need is some business 101 (as Americans call it!) and step one is to have ONE NAME and ONE NAME ONLY and to enhance and add value to that name at every turn and opportunity.

Apple is Apple. Everything about Apple is 'Appled'. There isn't a second name somewhere. The company picked a nice simple name and stuck with it.

Yes, I realise that many companies buy other companies and have to keep the old names for a variety of contractual and marketing reasons - but sooner or later, they and their identity tend to get subsumed into the larger parent.

I'm not wild about the name 'Samplecraze' but it is as good or as bad as any other. A name becomes associated with a certain product range and it is that association that creates the name and the feelings that the name invokes. Samplecraze has an established market presence and for that reason, I would use that name and that name ONLY for everything.

You might like to alter the lettering to 'SampleCraze', but other than that, I would leave it alone.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Wed May 22, 2019 11:32 am

Zukan wrote:I am sorry I have been on and on about this and keep adding to this post but I really need to get this right and you guys are people I trust and value therefore I hassle you.
And we're happy to help. :)
I'm a bit stacked out at the moment otherwise I'd volunteer some of my time - but frankly it wouldn't get you anything right now so it's a chocolate teapot.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Guest » Wed May 22, 2019 2:09 pm

blinddrew wrote:
Zukan wrote:I am sorry I have been on and on about this and keep adding to this post but I really need to get this right and you guys are people I trust and value therefore I hassle you.
And we're happy to help.

And also I am learning so much from this thread. Unfortunately the main thing I am learning is I am not cut out for promoting myself so may need to find alternative approaches.

Postby Zukan » Wed May 22, 2019 2:41 pm

Likewise Still.
Zukan

Postby CS70 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:28 pm

Zukan wrote:Good insights CS.

I am trying to do this right as this is a problem I have faced before. The fact that I try to do everything myself I believe works against me.

Yeah it's hard work! Most businesses are exactly for these reasons, and it really never stops if you want to keep expanding. It's just how it is. By definition you'll have many more things to do than time and energy to do them.

So, a key (and a bit of the point that I was trying to make earlier) is to figure out what's important to work on or not - and to figure it out you descend it from basic principles. It's easy to feel overwhelmed, but the principles help also in deciding what to attack first. Economics and your own experiences as a human being is where you get most of these principles. And dont agonize over decisions. Take the best decision you can (and if you can't decide, pick up one at random!) and move on. Some decisions will be good, some will be bad, but chasing perfection is always bad.

Take branding: the principle is that in a situation where supply vastly outstrips demand (music! music tutorials! men wanting to have sex!) you have to create artificial scarcity - and one of the best ways to do so is branding (short of killing every other guy.. Gengis Kahn used to do that and it worked for him; Brad Pitt uses branding :) ). Brand allows you to control the supply, and if you control the supply, you have the power to set the price.

So, does it matter a iota what name specifically the brand has? Not at all. "Nike" would have not evoked much at all 100 years ago. Neither "BBC". Nor "Ferrari". They're just sequences of letters. If you have a little capital of recognition already, use the associated sequence of letter, but that's about how far it needs going.

Is a logo important? Well, only insofar it helps with the recognition, not in itself. It doesn't have to be good, special or (god forbid!) "professional". It's just got to be recognizable.
Brad Pitt doesn't have a logo.

One last thing: since there are no recipes, there are no experts!. There's people (often called consultants and coming from companies rich in acronym and powerpoint slides) who will suck your money pretending to be (and many are even self-deluded that they are).. but you can't have expertise in random and quasi-random processes. They are random!

Expertise is something that absolutely exists in "how" to do thing when the things are repeatable and well understood. But "what" and "why" aren't - so no point in looking for expertise there - at most you will find have anecdotes, and people who thinks that the one experience they have had which worked for them will work for you (it may; it may not).

So programming a WP site is repeatable and well understood and certainly you can find expertise. But why to have a WP site and what to put on it - no way.

Also, unless you have recognition, a new platform (or a reworked one) does little. You don't need be as extreme as Tesla (achieve immense recognition, have no products available to sell, ops!), but - as perverse as it seems - supply/demand mean that the product it's kinda lower priority. So as CEO of Eddie, Inc, you answer the guy that the "trailers for video" can actually wait a little - it's important to him, but not to you (yet).

Obviously there's nothing wrong of doing a little pre-work, but if you have to choose to, for example, spend three days participating to conference and networking or make a new trailer, the consequence of the principle is that the former is a more valuable use of your time - as will improve your recognition.

The snag, of course, is that doing the product is more fun. So you just balance as well as you can, and move on. :)

I want to get this right and at the offset.

You have a plan and that's good. Just be careful with the attitude above. No business is built right from the offset, ever! For successful businesses you often see the final result, but not the beginnings and the mistakes. Be aware that no matter how much effort you put, you'll do stuff that you'll have to redo, that in hindsight you could have done better, and so on... it's part of the game. And a terrible thing to a perfectionist :D

As I am poor in writing product descriptions, newsletters etc I have sought the help of a few people here. I have also been addressing the Youtube issues with my channel and although I have made some changes I believe someone who knows how to promote on this platform would be better suited to manage the channel.

It's very confusing for me as this is an area I have little experience with and thus all the questions.

It's good to have friends and it's a pleasure to contribute whatever way! As of the experience, remember again that there's no recipes so nobody really has much transferable experience. Only principles that increase the odds.

It's always the first time even if you've done it before :-)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Martin Walker » Wed May 22, 2019 6:21 pm

Apologies for posting outside content, but I've just read through this and thought it was somewhat relevant to this discussion:

https://www.core77.com/posts/88327/Peop ... ic_sidebar

Here's nice quote from it:

"The idea is that people don't want the product itself, but rather the outcome the product provides. The marketer and Harvard professor Theodore Levitt summed it up perfectly: "People don't want to buy a quarter-inch drill [bit], they want a quarter inch hole.""

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Random Guitarist » Wed May 22, 2019 8:17 pm

I'd put in a new name personally and redirect the old one, it costs peanuts. And everything about your site needs to be about what you're going to do for the visitor, and easy to remember. There are short memorable names out there that can be registered.
(although fixyourmix.com is gone)

If you called it makeagreatmix.com (which is currently available) you'd have better alignment to what you are selling.

Also I would strongly suggest you make sure the person doing your web site gives you and easy efficient way to do a/b testing and analyse results. That way you don't just build a website and hope it works, you tune it and measure results.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu May 23, 2019 1:02 am

CS70 wrote:It's good to have friends and it's a pleasure to contribute whatever way! As of the experience, remember again that there's no recipes so nobody really has much transferable experience. Only principles that increase the odds.

It's always the first time even if you've done it before :-)

Well said :clap:

I'm having a "bit of a moment" for unrelated reasons so please forgive my loss of British reserve when I say that one thing we can be certain of is that Eddie has many friends here. I count myself among them and am heartened by the quality responses all round.

:thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Zukan » Thu May 23, 2019 12:46 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Apologies for posting outside content, but I've just read through this and thought it was somewhat relevant to this discussion:

https://www.core77.com/posts/88327/Peop ... ic_sidebar

Here's nice quote from it:

"The idea is that people don't want the product itself, but rather the outcome the product provides. The marketer and Harvard professor Theodore Levitt summed it up perfectly: "People don't want to buy a quarter-inch drill [bit], they want a quarter inch hole.""

Martin

Pretty much what the WP developer has been telling me.
Zukan

Previous