You are here

Microphones for recording Pianos etc

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Microphones for recording Pianos etc

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun May 26, 2019 3:23 pm

John Willett wrote:In every case the 30/40 sounded "thin" in comparison to the omnis.

I wonder how much of the 'thin-ness' was related to the frequency response differences between the cardioid and omni mics, and how much to the different character of the stereo arrays. Spaced omnis always have a beguiling low-end spatiousness which makes them sound a lot fuller than they really are....

But yes, I take the point, and agree with your preference for omnis... I just don't want people to think they can't make acceptable and pleasing recordings with other types of microphone. And of course there are many, many situations where omnis are just completely impractical anyway.

But solo recitals on a big grand piano in a decent sounding room? Absolutely: spaced omnis all the way! :D
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Aural Reject » Sun May 26, 2019 3:55 pm

Aural Reject
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun May 26, 2019 9:24 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
dbfs wrote:Would this be more like it then.

Doesn't go very high (1.7m?). You could extend it with one of those K&M poles Mike mentions, but I get nervous about the mechanical integrity of that kind of design. It should be fine with a well balanced mic on top, but the potential forces on the threaded joint are huge if the centre of gravity moves away from the direct overhead.

H

Absolutely! I usually put one OM1 or CM3 up there - each thumb-sized - or occasionally two CM3s in NOS config.

Heavy mics need something more reassuringly sturdy!

I've wondered about the K&M units that Aural Reject recommends so good to see his referencing them...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Previous