You are here

Newer Laptop slower than old? W10 tweaks?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Newer Laptop slower than old? W10 tweaks?

Postby james090 » Tue May 28, 2019 6:24 pm

So i have just upgraded my laptop from a C2Duo 4GB Windows 10 32-bit which worked ok, for general audio editing, and general laptop duties, inc web.

I was used to this, and it seemed ok, but new it was very old.

So I was then given an i3, Windows 10-64bit 8GB Acer Laptop, which should be faster (not by much i know, but should be faster for my general duties and audio editing)?
I reinstalled Windows 10-64bit from scratch but it still feels rather sluggish, more so than the older laptop, which surely shouldn't be the case?

Typing is slow, menu's opening is slow, and everything seems rather sluggish?

As I have just installed Windows 10, (should i stick with 32-bit? does that make a massive difference?) are there some tweaks that i haven't done (i did a few general ones), but at this rate, my older laptop seems 'snappier' ??

Does anyone have any Windows 10 tweaks to speed this up for audio, and secondly for general web surfing? or any tips on what to do to get this up to speed, so it at least overtakes my older Core-2-Duo?

I was going to donate my older laptop to my family and their children, but now thinking i should give the newer one away as im finding it slower? - surely this shouldn't be the case!! :headbang: :headbang:
james090
Regular

Re: Newer Laptop slower than old? W10 tweaks?

Postby OneWorld » Tue May 28, 2019 7:59 pm

Win10 comes with more bling and bric-a-brac than a rap singer's mantlepiece, it's ridiculous, but it essentially aims to cater for the consumer/games market. How they go on in commercial sense (eg offices, companies, organisations etc) I don't know.

You start with going through all the settings and turning off what you don't want, and there's a lot of it.

Make sure drivers are up to date.

Sites such as Black Viper give info about de-clagging

http://www.blackviper.com/service-confi ... gurations/

And there are utilities like WIn10 AeroTweaker

It does seem odd though that on the Core2Duo it ran faster, I suppose a lot could depend on which i3 CPU you have.

When it is running correctly, certainly for myself it does run quite quickly - I am using an ancient Core2Quad/8Gigoram/SSD main drive to type this and I have a much more modern PC to do music on.

Just out of interest, what audio interface do you use?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby james090 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:20 pm

OneWorld wrote:Win10 comes with more bling and bric-a-brac than a rap singer's mantlepiece, it's ridiculous.

Just out of interest, what audio interface do you use?

Haha brilliant, and yes i thought it would be full of bloat.

I did use an Audient iD-22 which worked fine on the C2D (with a Mac connected to the TOSlink input to record), and hoping to do exactly the same with the i3.

I was using this as a stand-alone laptop without any music peripherals attached, hence the slowness that i noticed.

I am sure that tweaked, that the i3, with 64-bit OS and double the RAM (8GB) will be faster.

I just wanted to check as to why this wasn't the case, which seemed very odd, and give away the wrong (faster) laptop to my nieces who just want simple internet, and theres me, doing stereo editing on a slower machine (C2D)!! :headbang:
james090
Regular

Postby innerchord » Tue May 28, 2019 8:26 pm

The crux of the matter will be the hard disk.
Are you using spinning disks in both machines?

If so, the first thing to do is to replace the disk with an SSD.
innerchord
Poster

Postby james090 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:29 pm

innerchord wrote:The crux of the matter will be the hard disk.
Are you using spinning disks in both machines?

If so, the first thing to do is to replace the disk with an SSD.

Yes using spinning disks in both machines, but as i was used to the C2D older laptop, I new it wasn't fast, but it kept up even though it was old.

So in the C2D was a 120Gb drive which I used, and a 1TB USB drive with it.
On the i3 there's an internal 500GB HD
james090
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Tue May 28, 2019 9:50 pm

Have you checked the task manager to see what's slowing things down? I.e. is it processor, memory or disk? And then what's eating that up?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Tue May 28, 2019 10:33 pm

As it is a new installation, could it still be downloading updates? As Blinddrew says, take a look at task manager and see which processes are hogging the processor or disk.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Wed May 29, 2019 6:29 am

I am typing on a 6yr old HP laptop. i3 370M 2.4G. ram 8G and a 640G 5k4 hard drive.

Ok, running W7 but the PC is as quick as I could wish for and runs the full demo track in Samplitude Pro X 3 no sweat, runs about 50% of CPU iirc.

I think the hard drive type is a bit of a red fish? In his much missed "PC Notes" Mr Walker stated that unless you have a "swap file" issue and are taxing the drive that way, the drive speed has little impact under normal circumstances (yes, I know, SSDs load much faster and "get there" quicker but, AFAIK/been told, everything runs from ram much of the time?)

So, has to be down to junk, unless of course you have a memory fault? You can run a mnfctr's test (but get in plenty of tea/coffee and bickies!) "Speccy" will tell you the ram brand.

Again, will take a while but you could run "chkdisc" from start up (I guess W10 still has that?)

Do not go back to 32 bits or you will be stuck with less than 4G of ram and that WILL slow you down!

Just the recollections of an old valve amp jockey so I stand to be corrected!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby miN2 » Wed May 29, 2019 7:47 am

Also check startup programs and what's running in your taskbar. Being an OEM laptap it's probably running a whole bunch of stuff. I'd have to disagree with the idea of Win 10 being full of bling and, obstensibly, full of bloatware. It's pretty sleak on it's own from a performance standpoint in my view but lots of crap can get bundled on prebuilt systems.
miN2
Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed May 29, 2019 8:17 am

miN2 wrote:Also check startup programs and what's running in your taskbar. Being an OEM laptap it's probably running a whole bunch of stuff. I'd have to disagree with the idea of Win 10 being full of bling and, obstensibly, full of bloatware. It's pretty sleak on it's own from a performance standpoint in my view but lots of crap can get bundled on prebuilt systems.

Ah! If I remove the battery from this HP it starts in a form of safe mode but also says "press *(can't remember what!) to run Start Up. Never done it but that might give a clue as to what is starting with the machine? Can also run Configsys.exe from a DOS screen.

But before you try any such measures, set a Restore point. Not as easy to find in W10 as 7 I understand but it is in there. Even better would be to make an image of the HDD onto an external drive. This HP again, has a Recovery partition, never had to use it but belts and...?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby james090 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:47 am

Thanks for the replies.

This is newly formatted, so could easily be reformatted again if needs be as there isn't that much on there (yet), and I have only done a handful of tweaks.

It may well be still installing updates etc but will check when i get time and report back.

I agree about the SSD, as I know they are way faster, but an older spinning disk still seems ok speed wise when i was using these old laptops and never really slowed anything down or got in the way... plus updating to an SSD on these older laptops seems a bit of a waste, for what i'll be using it for, and you then start to think of a newer machine, instead of costs for updating this older one.

Let me see what tweaks i can do, on some of the website links that have been given here for W10.
james090
Regular

Postby james090 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:47 am

Thanks for the replies.

This is newly formatted, so could easily be reformatted again if needs be as there isn't that much on there (yet), and I have only done a handful of tweaks.

It may well be still installing updates etc but will check when i get time and report back.

I agree about the SSD, as I know they are way faster, but an older spinning disk still seems ok speed wise when i was using these old laptops and never really slowed anything down or got in the way... plus updating to an SSD on these older laptops seems a bit of a waste, for what i'll be using it for, and you then start to think of a newer machine, instead of costs for updating this older one.

Let me see what tweaks i can do, on some of the website links that have been given here for W10.
james090
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed May 29, 2019 11:16 am

Just to confirm.

You're C2D was Win7 or older?
You're now on W10?
You're OS is a mechanical drive?

Then it's possibly your issue.

You can check your task manager (ctr+alt+delete) for disk thrashing when it's running slow. Also worth checking your CPU load (any maxed cores) and RAM amount (how much used) whilst you're doing so and might well find another issue entirely, but I'm taking a punt at the drive myself.

Windows 10 is designed to optimize itself in certain ways. Upon the first install, it fully indexes the drive and then continues to be fairly aggressive with internal housekeeping because they assume you are using an SSD as the OS drive. With an SSD this is fine and a more optimal way to manage it, but a physical HDD can often end up thrashing, which in turn cripples the rest of the system in much the fashion you describe.

Google how to "disable superfetch" and "disable indexing" and see if doing both of those has any impact for you.

Otherwise, a small SSD for that OS drive will probably solve this for you.

Also, lastly, you don't mention what i3 this is. If this is a current generation i3, then yes, it's probably quite a bit more powerful. If this is a first generation i3 from 2010 then the C2D will probably stand up to it, if not flat out beat it.

Without knowing the chip model numbers for both the C2D and i3 however, I can't really say much more.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby ef37a » Wed May 29, 2019 12:54 pm

Thank you Pete, did not know about W10 and SSDs.

That information will also help me because I shall be looking for a modest W10 laptop for internet and "office" duties later in the year.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed May 29, 2019 4:01 pm

Likewise that's new info for me, and might well explain why my machine tops out sometimes.
Thank you. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby james090 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:18 pm

Thank you for all your responses on this, but thought I should just add to this, whilst not technically music-related for this bit...

I am still wondering why this i3 8GB W10 laptop was slower, so just decided to do an internet speed test.

My old Core2Duo w10 4GB laptop which is about dead, comes up with 32mbps download and 9.28mbps upload on Wi-Fi.

I then tested the i3 8GB W10 laptop, and it was 11.5mbps download, and 6.6mbps upload!!

When I cabled it to the Router, direct it was back up in the 37mbps download and 9.27mbps upload.

So.... what is happening with my internal modem in my newer i3?
is there something daft that I haven't downloaded even though it keeps updating every shut down, as W10 does!

Any help please as to why its so slow over the internet, before looking at some Audio Tweaks.. :?:
james090
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:26 am

First of all, I'm a little shocked that you got a C2D machine fully running Windows 10. No real point to that, just expressing my surprise.

That aside, W10 isn't supposed to update on every shutdown, so my initial stab in the dark would be that you've got a broken Windows update service that is looping in the background. It would explain bandwidth being chewed and it always trying to and I can only assume failing to update?

Can you confirm that it acutrly the case?

Click start and type "windows update". Click on update all and see if you can get to a state where it tells you everything is up to date.

Now when you shut down, does it just shut down?
If yes, try a reboot and speed test again.

Any antivirus on the i3 that isn't on the other one?
Are the network drivers up to date? It can make a huge difference.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby james090 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:44 am

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your reply. I will try this when i get back to the laptop.

It was a fresh install of W10 on this i3 and I haven't installed any 3rd party Anti-Virus, I just keep the main Windows one enabled.

Not every shutdown, i admit comes up with Windows Updates, but its almost every one.. as windows seems to keep adding and adding telling you, you need them.

As it is up to speed (internet wise) when I plug an Ethernet cable in, I am thinking this must be the network drivers for the internal modem? as you mention, and something going on with these?
james090
Regular

Postby Agharta » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:36 am

Slower WiFi speed sometimes is due to the software defaulting to a slower connection type such as 2.5GHz N versus 5Ghz AC.
If your router supports the latter then check that the WiFi adapter also does and Google for how to get it to choose that automatically.
I had this problem and it slowed the connection down by a massive amount.

I'd also check that the power settings aren't stopping the CPU from running at 100% and that might vary depending on whether running on battery or not.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:27 pm

james090 wrote:Does anyone have any Windows 10 tweaks to speed this up for audio, and secondly for general web surfing? or any tips on what to do to get this up to speed, so it at least overtakes my older Core-2-Duo?

Being a laptop, it's possible the previous one was simply set in high performance mode while the new one, just installed, defaults to balanced? That would make it slower.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Next