You are here

Best pick-ups to get Fender tones from my Pacifica 112J

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Best pick-ups to get Fender tones from my Pacifica 112J

Postby Davy Curry » Fri May 17, 2019 12:31 am

My Pacifica has never let me down in 20yrs despite all manner of abuse. But the old gal' needs more tone. I didn't realise how crap the sound of the Pacifica through Line 6 amps was until I got a Les Paul Standard and an all valve Blackstar HT - 5R amp. I love the comfort and play-ability of my Yamaha but she needs help. Any ideas?
Davy Curry

Re: Best pick-ups to get Fender tones from my Pacifica 112J

Postby Pat » Fri May 17, 2019 6:24 pm

I bought some pickups from catswhisker pickups for my superstrat (lots of sentimental value).

http://www.catswhiskerpickups.co.uk/

I got the sbucker for the bridge and the strat type pup for middle and the fender wide range for the neck. S bucker sounds very stratty split, but im not too sure about the humbucker tones so inwoukd give the wide range some thought for the bridger, strat in the middle plus he makes a p90 inspired single for the neck
Pat
New here

Postby John Egan » Fri May 17, 2019 9:37 pm

Davy Curry wrote:My Pacifica has never let me down in 20yrs despite all manner of abuse. But the old gal' needs more tone. I didn't realise how crap the sound of the Pacifica through Line 6 amps was until I got a Les Paul Standard and an all valve Blackstar HT - 5R amp. I love the comfort and play-ability of my Yamaha but she needs help. Any ideas?

Bareknuckle Pickups make some of the best sounding strat pickups. I have a set of Apaches and a set of Irish Tours - both pretty traditional sounding - but they make wide range to suit most tastes.
Regards john Egan
John Egan
Regular

Postby Music Wolf » Sat May 18, 2019 8:19 am

I was going to recommend Bare Knuckles but I wasn't sure given the price vs the cost of the guitar, but if you really do love the instrument..........

I fitted my US Standard Strat (SSS) with a Bare Knuckles HSS set. VHII in the bridge (with aged nickle cover) and, from memory, a pair of Irish Tours with base plates (BK recommendation when matching single coils with humbucker). Whilst there was nothing wrong with the stock pickups these have made a difference (although I'm conscious that there may be some confirmation bias at work).

What I did find was that getting the pickup height right made a huge difference to the sound - so worth experimenting with the existing pickups if you haven't already done so.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Darren Lynch » Wed May 29, 2019 10:12 am

I regularly use my 20 year old 112 for recording. Very well put together guitar. But - yeah, the stock ceramic pickups are not great. Bear in mind that Pacifica's have a light, bright tone inherent in their design (light weight, small neck etc). So as MW says above, spending £200 on BK pickups just won't provide the same results as putting the same pickups in a higher quality instrument. I went for Irongear pickups - cheap but very decent. Rolling Mill Humbucker, Pig Iron middle pickup, Texas Loco neck. This has produced the most flexible sounding guitar I own because:
The Rolling Mill (13K) gives a great hot PAF tone.
The Pig Iron middle pickup (Alnico V, 5.5K) is low powered so gives a wide open chimey sound that sounds very like a Tele's mixed position. Brilliant for clean rhythm tracks.
The Texas Loco (Alnico V, 6.2K) Just a hint more output that a typical Strat neck p/u. Great for alternative lead tones, but clean enough for big bell-like rhythm tones.
This combo was actually a happy accident as I just used what I had in the spares box. I've quoted the DC readings just to help explain why the combo covers so much ground.
Darren Lynch
Regular

Postby ore_terra » Wed May 29, 2019 11:15 am

Seymour Duncan SSL-1 wont break the bank and they are ok
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Darren Lynch » Wed May 29, 2019 11:44 am

ore_terra wrote:Seymour Duncan SSL-1 wont break the bank and they are ok

The SSL-1 has a vintage stagger, the 112 has 13-inch neck radius...not an ideal match?
Darren Lynch
Regular

Postby Dethniteblod » Wed May 29, 2019 2:55 pm

I've got some great single coil pickups from a bloke called Marc in Halifax, he runs Mojo Pickups and can make anything you want as well as give you some good advice.

https://www.mojopickups.co.uk/
Dethniteblod
Poster

Postby ore_terra » Wed May 29, 2019 3:17 pm

Darren Lynch wrote:

The SSL-1 has a vintage stagger, the 112 has 13-inch neck radius...not an ideal match?
don't think that's an issue, honestly. I've had texas specials (also staggered) in 12" radius guitars, and now my 2 strats have 9.5" and equally vintage-ish staggered pickups.

don't forget that the distance string - pickup pole does not necessarily match with the radius. in my case, i.e., first strings are always closer to the fretboard than the upper.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Darren Lynch » Wed May 29, 2019 3:42 pm

ore_terra wrote:
Darren Lynch wrote:

don't think that's an issue, honestly. I've had texas specials (also staggered) in 12" radius guitars, and now my 2 strats have 9.5" and equally vintage-ish staggered pickups.

don't forget that the distance string - pickup pole does not necessarily match with the radius. in my case, i.e., first strings are always closer to the fretboard than the upper.

Cheers, good to know
Darren Lynch
Regular

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:14 pm

An SD Pearly Gates in the bridge , coil split in position 2, and series/parallel wired to push-push volume pot switch .... , and a set of Fender's own Texas Specials in Neck and middle positions

and find a TBX tone kit to replace the tone pot....

turns a mundane but workable cheap guitar in to something very very giggle, and a bit special....
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Dethniteblod » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:17 am

The point about pole pieces is absolutely right, I was fixing someones new Mexican Strat the other week and on the stock staggered pickups the highest was half a centimetre high so there isn't really a standard staggered pickup.
Dethniteblod
Poster