You are here

Programming M-Audio Axiom Midi Controller Knobs in Logic Pro X

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Programming M-Audio Axiom Midi Controller Knobs in Logic Pro X

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:38 pm

Dear Sirs,

I just bought a second hand M-Audio Axiom 25 (2nd gen) and am trying to program the 8 knobs to Logic instrument.

Now, when I try to program the knobs in the smart control of, let's say Retro Synth (saving the patch)
1) They end up in different zones
(No Zone)
Axiom 25. (Axiom 25 USB In)
Axiom 25. (DirectLink In) Well, there's two zones of these

2) When I open my saved patch the knobs work only intermittently, but sometimes after I have wiggled the virtual knobs on the screen.

I hope that there is something I have misunderstood with the process (and my second hand purchase wasn't a bad one). All knobs work, as shown by the display on the Axiom keyboard.

Does anyone know of a bug, or anything I might have done wrong? The Midi from the keyboard itself works (well sometimes a note sticks in Logic and I have to switch instrument back and forth to release it), and the transport buttons work.

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Re: Programming M-Audio Axiom Midi Controller Knobs in Logic Pro X

Postby desmond » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:23 pm

There's not enough info in your post to be able to diagnose what's going on here, as I have no idea of what parameters you are learning, what MIDI messages are being learnt, what MIDI ports the assignment is set to receive on, how Logic is choosing to default various parameters for the assignment like which channel strips to target and so on, what various modes or other CS settings you might have learnt that assignment to - there are many variables.

Can you take one assignment you make that stops working, and screenshot the controller assignments window with that assignment selected so we can see all the settings of that assignment.

Does that assignment stay in the controller assignments window *after* it stops working (or is it somehow deleted)?
If you turn that learned MIDI knob, does the assignment get displayed in the controller assignments window, or not, indicating Logic is processing the assignment correctly.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:47 pm

Cheers, Desmond!

The assignment stays, as you see on the screen shot, I have assigned it twice to the same knob in the smart control view, since I thought it didn't work.

I am a complete n00b when it comes to do any settings at all. I have only used midi controllers "as is" before without adding any settings.

The strange thing i that it sometimes works directly, sometimes after a while, and sometimes not at all.

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:28 am

Sorry, I haven't shared photos for such a long time, I didn't realize it doesn't work anymore.

Will be back presently!

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:58 pm

If that's a Dropbox image you're trying to post then what you do to show it here is get the Dropbox link and paste it between the img tags and then (this is the clever bit) change the dl=0 bit at the end to raw=1.

For example:

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:28 pm

I found my old Raspberry Pi running Apache. :tongue:

http://www.ylan.nu/bilder/Avbild.jpg

But I can't show it in imagebrackets.

And thanks for all help and patience!

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster

Postby desmond » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:05 pm

No worries!

Ok, the assignment looks ok.

A couple of things to note - you have multiple zones ("Axion 25" and "KeyRig 49") - do these contain duplicate assignments? Did you create these zones, or did Logic?

Also, it looks like Logic has set up smart controls for these knobs already, so these might be interfering with any manual assignments you make. You'll likely need to choose whether you want to use smart controls, or your own manual mappings, rather than try to do both.

What's probably happening here is that the MIDI port id's of these controllers is changing between session, and the Logic is adding the default assignments multiple times, which is one of the things screwing up your assignments. And related to that, another point of failure is that the MIDI port the assignments are learned from might therefore change (despite having the same name, and looking like it's the same MIDI port, it isn't, as it's a new MIDI port on a new ID that just happens to have the same name.)

This is likely a fault of the drivers of those controllers. What I'd probably to is delete the controllers from the control surfaces setup, and clear out any modes and other assignment stuff that is related to those controllers, to go back to a relatively clean slate.

Then restart Logic, and add each control surface (it's probably sufficient to leave them on when launching Logic, as it will likely see them and install them.)

Now, make your first assignment, and then quit Logic (and back up the control surface preferences file). Relaunch it - see whether Logic installs a new Axiom controller - hopefully it doesn't. You can also try to quit Logic, unplug the controller, replug it, and run Logic again - hopefully there will only be one Axiom controller in the setup window.

Check your assignment still works. Assuming it does, make your other assignments, and when you are done, again, back up the CS prefs file, so that if things go screwy, you can restore it from a known good copy.

If you get into a situation where the assignment no longer works - again, check for duplicate control surface controllers, and if it looks suspect, you can quit Logic and restore the cs preferences again. If that's a pain, then temporarily, check the assignment that's causing problems, and try re-selecting the MIDI in port in the assignment - this will have the effect of telling Logic to look at the new/current "Axiom 25" MIDI port, not the old, previous "Axiom 25" MIDI port (that was on a different ID).

Alternatively, you could change the MIDI input definitions on the assignments to something like "All", if it's convenient and doesn't cause problems with other controllers, as no matter what the Axiom/whatever port changes too, Logic should see receive and match that assignment and it should continue to work.

I hope that offers some useful suggestions - give those things a try, and if there's anything I didn't describe clearly, or you're not sure about, just ask... :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Ylan Sthlm » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:49 pm

Thanks a bunch!

The KeyRig 49 is my old Midi controller, and that controller (M-Audio KeyRig 49) only has keys, mod, pitchbend and volumen, and I have done nothing to assign anything for that.

The Axiom 25 turned up cheap, second hand, with better keys and jack for expression pedal so I bought it.

I'll start by removing all duplicates, and see what happens.

Once again, cheers! :clap:

Humbly, Ylan
Ylan Sthlm
Poster