You are here

Please kick my ass on this !

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Please kick my ass on this !

Postby laurentbarbiermusic » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:11 am

Hi there !

My name is Larry (Laurent) am I started producing music using Ableton Live a few months ago.

I’m a Jazz saxophone player and I am curious of what’s gonna come out trying to compose more of a electronic kind of music.

I’ll be posting my first EP in the next few days and I’d love to have some feedback from this community.

Here’s the first track called ‘’Bababa Kaba’’ :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLem2Easy9M
laurentbarbiermusic
Jazz sax/flute player. Working on a Electro-Jazz live set with Ableton.

Re: Please kick my ass on this !

Postby kinglouis » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:37 am

Tremendous! Love the electro-funk sonic palate. Really cool sounds, good writing, lots of interest; great work. The mix is fairly decent too, although the sax recording lets it down - the playing is spot on but it doesn't fit into the mix too well, my guess is from the way it was recorded in the first place. Others will have better advice as to how to make it sit better. Most importantly, your playing and intonation is really good so I'm sure it won't take much to get it sounding awesome.
kinglouis
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:56 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BJG145 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:14 pm

I thought this was very good, nice one. Very original, nice sounds, good performance and musicianship.

But since you said: "Kick my ass on this" I'll try and think of a coupla things so...

...because of kinglouis' comment, I was on alert for the sax recording. I didn't have too much problem with it myself because it's played great and it's just one element in the mix, but I'm wondering if it might have stood out because it's quite dry, in terms of reverb...? And it's generally kind of lo-fi. I took it as a stylistic decision, and perspective on some things can change with repeated listens - I only heard this once. Sounds like there's some subtle stereo delay, but minimal reverb, whereas other things have a fairly decent FX wash by comparison. Not complaining, just speculating. (Listening on headphones.) It might be nice to hear it opened out a bit.

(Also from a "kick me" angle - from a social-networking perspective, avoid making identical posts on different forums; especially first posts. Personalise them. Communities are suspicious of anything that looks like an advert in a non-advert space.)

Good job. :thumbup:
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Ian Shaw » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:17 pm

That's Fab. Full of great ideas. And the mix is great. Only thing I can find fault with, if anything, is that everything is really wide, there seems to be very little going on in the middle, Even the kick & snare seem to be floating around the stereo, but if that is how you intended then fine. Great job
Ian Shaw
Regular
Sent by carrier pigeon

Postby laurentbarbiermusic » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:25 am

Thank you for your comments! :angel:

I have not thought too much in terms of width and I'll be more aware of it from now on. :-)

I did have some insecurities about the sax mix and indeed, it could be just that it has way less FX on compared to the rest of the mix. I'll do some more tweaking.

The positive reinforcement helps a lot too ! I'm new to this kind of music and any input from the outside world is very valuable.

Thanks BJG145 for the ass-kicking social-networking piece of advice. I'm totally guilty on that one :D

Would you folks have any more advices on how I could blend live sax better in a mix, in case of a live performance with live tracks and sax? Or flute?
laurentbarbiermusic
Jazz sax/flute player. Working on a Electro-Jazz live set with Ableton.