You are here

Logic control iPad? Anyone done it?

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Logic control iPad? Anyone done it?

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:52 am

I have spent hours trying to figure out how to sync AUM on the iPad Pro with Logic (latest) on the tower. :headbang:
AUM recognizes MMC from Logic and plays only when Logic is not in Internal mode so then Logic won’t play as it is waiting for MMC too. In Internal mode Logic will play but AUM will not respond to MMC. But Logic is still sending MMC that AUM now ignores.
I’ve spent at least 3 hours scouring the internet and YouTube to see if anybody was successful with no joy. I have tried every permutation of midi in and out in AUM and Logic.

So I emailed AUMs creator but thought I would try here as well.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Logic control iPad? Anyone done it?

Postby desmond » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:21 pm

What's "AUM"?

What is it you're trying to do, exactly, with MIDI Machine Control commands?

Or do you mean MIDI Timecode? (MTC)

What app do you want as the master clock?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:59 pm

Hi Desmond
AUM is an easy to use but powerful iPad app that somewhat resembles a mixer where you insert an instrument on a track, insert fx or an fx send and do some fantastic patching and controlling of what you have plugged into it. I’m afraid I don’t do it justice in my description.

On the iPad within AUM I inserted a loop player on a track. (It could have been an arpeggiator or other playback plugin.) The loop player can be triggered internally or by MMC. (Not mtc)

There must be a difference in the MMC that Logic sends when it is in Internal mode as opposed to when Logic is not in Internal mode. Actually with a midi code viewing app on the iPad I can see a small difference even though it is the same code number. I’m not good with programming languages so can’t tell you much more.

I was hoping either Logic could be the master or the slave but it’s not working in either direction. I had a quick thought to boot up the old PPC with Logic and do a physical connection via midi cable from PPC to intel tower and see if Logic on the intel tower will slave to MMC. It has been ages since I’ve used MMC but I think I’ve got it right.
Any thoughts appreciated.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:21 am

ManFromGlass wrote:There must be a difference in the MMC that Logic sends when it is in Internal mode as opposed to when Logic is not in Internal mode. Actually with a midi code viewing app on the iPad I can see a small difference even though it is the same code number. I’m not good with programming languages so can’t tell you much more.

I was hoping either Logic could be the master or the slave but it’s not working in either direction.

Ok, I'm still not clear on exactly what you are trying to do, but I'm guessing that you want Logic to send MMC Play/Stop commands over MIDI when you start/stop Logic playback?

I had a quick look, and in internal sync only, Logic doesn't transmit MMC transport commands. If auto sync is on, or in external MTC sync mode, Logic sends an MMC deferred play command when you hit play, and then it waits for MTC (ie it doesn't start playing itself). If the iPad app is expecting a "play" command instead of a deferred play, that may be the reason it's not working.

You could try creating the necessary MMC play command and sending it manually to see if that would work - you can see the MMC byte string as you're monitoring it in your MIDI monitor, so use that as a guide. Deferred play is a command of 3, play is 2.

Eg
Deferred play: F0 7F 7F 06 03 F7
Play: F0 7F 7F 06 02 F7

More here:
http://midi.teragonaudio.com/tech/mmc.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_Machine_Control

ManFromGlass wrote:I had a quick thought to boot up the old PPC with Logic and do a physical connection via midi cable from PPC to intel tower and see if Logic on the intel tower will slave to MMC. It has been ages since I’ve used MMC but I think I’ve got it right.

I don't use MMC these days but back in the day I used to use Logic slaved to a hard disk recorder, using MMC for transport (so for example, you hit play in Logic, it sent an MMC play command to the HDR, which started playing, sending MTC back to Logic, causing that to start - it was always reliable.)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:29 pm

One day I will remember wiki has almost everything. Thanks for more clues Desmond. Time to roll up the sleeves and fumble about with the code on both machines. If I can get the iPad to send the play command then I suspect I will get what I am hoping for.
I, too, remember MMC working fine back in the day.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:51 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:If I can get the iPad to send the play command then I suspect I will get what I am hoping for.

Now I really have no clue what you are trying to do. Good luck!
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:27 am

as of today's date here is what I have found - (posting this for others going down this path)

So one of the good things about the IOS world is that it is like the wild west in terms of creativity but also in terms of implementation of "standards", and not always for the better.

Logic 10.4 will not trigger AUM to play (for me) so that means any AUv3 will not sync to tempo. Too bad as there are some really cool AUv3s. I could not get Logic to Slave to AUM.

In my current collection any synth, FX or other music apps that can slave to Midi Clock will happily follow Logic as the master, even when inserted into AUM. They will play and follow tempo even if AUM itself is not playing.

I will move on to see if things are better in Audiobus, but right now AUM is a very handy "container" for the music apps and for my testing with Logic. If this all sounds confusing it is because it is confusing!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)