You are here

Hi-passing the bass to a guitar amp?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Hi-passing the bass to a guitar amp?

Postby Elephone » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:56 pm

Hi. I heard low bass can damage speakers not designed for it, so I was wondering if anyone has tried mixing a DI signal with a hi-passed bass-to-guitar-amp for a bit more character, in the case of not having a bass amp.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: Hi-passing the bass to a guitar amp?

Postby ef37a » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:37 am

Elephone wrote:Hi. I heard low bass can damage speakers not designed for it, so I was wondering if anyone has tried mixing a DI signal with a hi-passed bass-to-guitar-amp for a bit more character, in the case of not having a bass amp.

It is certainly true that bass guitar is very hard on speakers but, with all things "audio" and especially guitar/bass/amps/speakers, size matters! The size of the signal that is.

If you take a decent 30W valve combo with say a Celstion V30 in it you could quite safely run a bass into that provided you kept to "recording/tune up" levels. Any attempt at defenestration WOULD put the speaker in danger. There is also of course the fact that a V30 (say) is not designed for bass and will give little sound below about 70Hz and bottom E is 41Hz. Note, "High Passing" the bass signal will do little to protect a speaker? It is the massive plucked transients that do the damage.

Things are totally different for gigging. A 100W transistor amp and a 15" cab would be considered little more than a "practice" rig!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:42 am

Keep the level low and you'll be fine.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:24 pm

ef37a wrote:
Elephone wrote:Hi. I heard low bass can damage speakers not designed for it, so I was wondering if anyone has tried mixing a DI signal with a hi-passed bass-to-guitar-amp for a bit more character, in the case of not having a bass amp.
Note, "High Passing" the bass signal will do little to protect a speaker? It is the massive plucked transients that do the damage.

Dave.
Didn't know that Dave, cheers. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...