You are here

What is what is ##?#SWD in the registry

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

What is what is ##?#SWD in the registry

Postby OneWorld » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:31 pm

SInce the latest update in Win10, my ICON QCON has stopped working, it boots, the faders align, the Cubase mode shows, it lights up etc, but it just don't work

I have been advised by icon that I need run KORG MIDIUninstaller, now that suggests to me there is something i the registry needs sorting. I don't want to uninstall all my MIDI devices OCON QCON U-Control, Launchpad, Beatstep, MIXF (works as a controller as well as synth) VirusTI and some hardware synths

I have pootled around the internet and there are some references to a 10 MIDI device limit and that sometimes if we unplug a USB MIDI Device and then plug it in again, WIN10 creates another 'device' gets all in a tizwaz and exceeds the 10 device limit and things stop working thus exceeding

So I am searching through the registry and the only instance of the ICON QCON is in the Registry Key that begins with ##?#SWD and than a name as big as Wales.

Does anyone know the significance of a key beginning ##?#SWD and can I just rip it out. The ICON QCON is class compliant though when I plug the ICON into the USB port is keeps going plink-plonk over and over
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: What is what is ##?#SWD in the registry

Postby ef37a » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:55 pm

No idea One but I thought the "Ten USB device Limit" went out with the demise of XP?

i have been running USB devices, AIs and MIDI controllers for well over ten years. Plugging them in at random and never had a hint of trouble, mainly with Win 7.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:09 pm

ef37a wrote:No idea One but I thought the "Ten USB device Limit" went out with the demise of XP?

i have been running USB devices, AIs and MIDI controllers for well over ten years. Plugging them in at random and never had a hint of trouble, mainly with Win 7.

Dave.

Yes that thought occurred, the error discussed on the web ended up at this "Windows 10 device limit" and yes, the web site could have been referring to Windows 3.11 for all I know, but I was sort of lead up the garden path by ICON's advice that I strip all MIDI devices out, but yes that could be a 'false friend'

All I know is everything was working like a dream - then Win10 April update, and it all fell apart
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:43 pm

ef37a wrote:No idea One but I thought the "Ten USB device Limit" went out with the demise of XP?

Dave.

I came across this on the website shown below.........."The root of the problem is that Korg USB Midi driver will only work on the first 10 channels in Windows 10 (not to be confused with midi channels) so if Windows allocates the Korg device to a channel above 9 nothing will work with it." And this seems to affect other manufacturer's devices too. For some reason earlier versions of Win10 did not cause this problem, well it didn't on my PC

https://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index ... 19-update/

Thing is, the Korg uninstaller won't work either, I need to dig into the registry and remove instances of redundant stuff but properties in the registry won't let me remove stuff, I have tried the various 'change permissions' options in regedit but nah, still can't delete the stuff. Why is it when we select 'Uninstall' a device in Windows it leaves a trail of garbage behind it, they are not uninstalled
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Agharta » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:36 am

This is why I am 6 to 12 months behind with W10 versions.
Let others find the issues and by the time you upgrade they are either fixed or the workarounds are in the public domain.
I think it's asking for trouble to be close to the bleeding edge.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:18 am

OneWorld wrote:

Dave.

I came across this on the website shown below.........."The root of the problem is that Korg USB Midi driver will only work on the first 10 channels in Windows 10 (not to be confused with midi channels) so if Windows allocates the Korg device to a channel above 9 nothing will work with it." And this seems to affect other manufacturer's devices too. For some reason earlier versions of Win10 did not cause this problem, well it didn't on my PC

Thing is, the Korg uninstaller won't work either, I need to dig into the registry and remove instances of redundant stuff but properties in the registry won't let me remove stuff, I have tried the various 'change permissions' options in regedit but nah, still can't delete the stuff. Why is it when we select 'Uninstall' a device in Windows it leaves a trail of garbage behind it, they are not uninstalled

I have no idea if it has kept up with W10 but RevoUninstaller removes registry garbage after uninstalling a program. I have used it many, many times for years after it was recommended by Martin Walker in the much missed PC Notes.

Then there is CCleaner but I am not sure if the present version has met with M W's approval so far? I have also read (Bleepingcomputer) that registry cleaners are frowned upon by many PC experts? Mind you, I have used CC for many years on many machines and never had a problem AND it has saved my ***s a time or three!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:05 am

Hard to say as these entries are invented by programmers so they have no meaning outside the head of who made the software.

Have you check the event viewer and any error logged there?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:56 pm

I've seen instances where a number of USB ghost entries has knocked out other devices. I'm not saying there is a hard limit as there used to be as I honestly don't know at this point if it's still there, but simply from a wonky install/ghost entry point of view, it might be worth cleaning stuff up.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Try that and remove any duplicates, or devices otherwise long since uninstalled.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby OneWorld » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:04 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:I've seen instances where a number of USB ghost entries has knocked out other devices. I'm not saying there is a hard limit as there used to be as I honestly don't know at this point if it's still there, but simply from a wonky install/ghost entry point of view, it might be worth cleaning stuff up.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Try that and remove any duplicates, or devices otherwise long since uninstalled.

Thanks, it is definitely a Win10 issue. I have got things working again and this 10 device limit. What makes it really perplexing is that some devices are affected by it, Korg for example and the ICON QCON and most others are not, so if a Korg device (and I believe it is only some Korg devices) is at say location 10 and another device is installed which for whatever reason displaces the Korg and pushes it to location 11, the Korg stops working or in the case of the ICON QCON, still lights up, faders align etc

Anyway, all is working now (touch wood) and Win10 updates is being shut off again and a fresh image made.

I had a look at the various USB knockout software but when just confronted with 'USB Device' you haven't a clue what's being removed. I used the software before, knocked out some USB entries then after that my mobile phone couldn't connect so since the I decided to err on the side of caution and only remove stuff where it was plainly clear what I was removing
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:08 pm

ef37a wrote:
OneWorld wrote:

Dave.

I have no idea if it has kept up with W10 but RevoUninstaller removes registry garbage after uninstalling a program. I have used it many, many times for years after it was recommended by Martin Walker in the much missed PC Notes.

Then there is CCleaner but I am not sure if the present version has met with M W's approval so far? I have also read (Bleepingcomputer) that registry cleaners are frowned upon by many PC experts? Mind you, I have used CC for many years on many machines and never had a problem AND it has saved my ***s a time or three!

Dave.

C Cleaner is quite benign, you can lean the registry, but then go into it and you'll find stuff that's been there since before the Flood
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Pete Kaine » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:53 am

OneWorld wrote:I had a look at the various USB knockout software but when just confronted with 'USB Device' you haven't a clue what's being removed. I used the software before, knocked out some USB entries then after that my mobile phone couldn't connect so since the I decided to err on the side of caution and only remove stuff where it was plainly clear what I was removing

Yes, an annoyance with some programs, although the one linked tends to say "USB device" in column one and "Avid tech" or "Focusrite tech" in section two.

Not saying it's perfect and I understand the concern with poor descriptions. For me, if I note that I've got 4 ghosted entries from the same firm in there, then I'll tend to remove the device driver in add/remove or via Revo and then I'll forcibly remove anything left that might refer to it.
I'll then reinstall it with the latest driver update to finish the job and hopefully reduce many to one in the process.

Bit of a long way around, but best practice for ensuring you're up to date at the same time. Given most people normally only attempt to do this when something appears broken, you might as well try the latest version anyway.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby OneWorld » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:38 am

Pete Kaine wrote:
OneWorld wrote:I had a look at the various USB knockout software but when just confronted with 'USB Device' you haven't a clue what's being removed. I used the software before, knocked out some USB entries then after that my mobile phone couldn't connect so since the I decided to err on the side of caution and only remove stuff where it was plainly clear what I was removing

Yes, an annoyance with some programs, although the one linked tends to say "USB device" in column one and "Avid tech" or "Focusrite tech" in section two.

Not saying it's perfect and I understand the concern with poor descriptions. For me, if I note that I've got 4 ghosted entries from the same firm in there, then I'll tend to remove the device driver in add/remove or via Revo and then I'll forcibly remove anything left that might refer to it.
I'll then reinstall it with the latest driver update to finish the job and hopefully reduce many to one in the process.

Bit of a long way around, but best practice for ensuring you're up to date at the same time. Given most people normally only attempt to do this when something appears broken, you might as well try the latest version anyway.

Thanks. I did use the Korg software in the end and one by one went through the 'USB Audio Device' list one by one till I got down to 10 devices, and amongst that 10 were identifiable devices, but either way, once I got it down to 10 devices and it's all back to normal (fingers crossed) and Cubase 10 working fine as well, fonts showing properly etc and as soon as everything was up and running I dived straight to the imaging software! Now I'm back to making music :-)

Thanks everyone for your help
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)