You are here

Windows 10 dual boot problem

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Windows 10 dual boot problem

Postby Agharta » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:03 pm

Whilst testing an SSD PCIe card (Intel DC P4500) I had to install W10 to it and forgot to remove the M.2 SSD which has my main W10 O/S on. :headbang:
I meant to remove it as I figured once I had finished testing the drive and removed it that my main O/S drive would throw a fit which it has.
All the automatic repairs options have failed so figure I will need to use the command line tools to fix it.
Anyone have experience of doing this or is there another way I should go?

Here’s the set-up.
1. M.2 PCIe NVMe – original W10 install.
2. PCIe x4 card NVMe – temporary W10 install.

I still have the second SSD/Card with W10 on it so if the quickest way to fix this is to reinstall that then no problem.
It boots fine and sees the original M.2 drive.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Windows 10 dual boot problem

Postby miN2 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:39 pm

I ran into a problem like this when i dual booted. If i remember correctly, deleting the secondary OS also deleted a necessary partition from the boot OS. To fix, i believe i imaged my C drive with Macrium, formated the original drive and then overwrote the new install with the Macrium image. Macrium sorts out the partitions (it might be a checkable option).

I believe i asked on https://www.tenforums.com for advice. I've tried to find my thread but am failing. There's a few threads on the same type of issue over there.
miN2
Poster

Postby Agharta » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:21 pm

Thanks. I have a backup but I think I just need to change the MBR/PBR.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby FrankRaz » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:06 am

Maybe a boot loader like EasyBCD might help.

https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/
FrankRaz
Regular

Postby Agharta » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:18 am

FrankRaz wrote:Maybe a boot loader like EasyBCD might help.
Thanks. That's already my plan B as used it before but hoping I can just use the command line tools from the recovery mode. Need to Google it further to get info.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:18 pm

You can (and Google will no doubt see you good) but it's far less hassle using EasyBCD than messing around with cmd line.

Two options, you can move the loader if you can find it or you can write a fresh one. Done it both ways with EBCD plenty of times and it's got me out of trouble more times than I care to think about over the years.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Agharta » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:02 am

Thanks Pete. I did Google the command line yesterday and felt intimidated and was concerned that I might mess things up. So EasyBCD it is and glad I kept W10 on the other drive.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:05 pm

Agharta wrote:Thanks Pete. I did Google the command line yesterday and felt intimidated and was concerned that I might mess things up. So EasyBCD it is and glad I kept W10 on the other drive.

Win10? I'd like to boot it sometimes, uphill and down dale all the way back to Redmond or where ever it comes from, other side of the Styx I reckon
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)