You are here

Voice effects pedals for 2 singers

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Voice effects pedals for 2 singers

Postby stiag070 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:08 pm

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice please?
My sister and i sing lead in a band which is moving to a more electronic sound. We sing a lot of close harmony. We would like to start using voice effects and i understand we can't use the same pedal (putting our mics through the desk then into the pedal together) because the pedals don't handle the multiple voices well for several effects. So, do we get two pedals? Do we get two the same? And preset the same programmes? Or will this sound weird?
Thanks!
stiag070

Re: Voice effects pedals for 2 singers

Postby Janneman » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:54 pm

Maybe there is a shop around were you can try this out.

We are using a https://www.bax-shop.nl/vocal-effect/tc ... che-gitaar
Janneman
Regular
Kind regards,   Jan van Duren

Postby stiag070 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:25 am

Thanks Jan, do you use multiple pedals, one for each vocalist? This is the bit that I'm unsure about...
stiag070

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:40 am

It depends on the fx you want to use and how your PA is configured. I'm guessing you don't have a dedicated sound man? If you do he can have a single multi fx unit (may even be built into the desk) for both voices to do delays, reverb and some modulation fx but you will need separate boxes for any autotune/harmony fx and some mod fx. If not then two of TC VoiceLive or similar units, one for each vocal might be the way to go (you can't share a single unit for two vocals as they only have one mic input*) that would allow you to change patches using the foot switches on the unit.

*that's not the only reason but it'll do for now
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:53 am

Yes, you will need multiple pedals -- one for each voice.

As to whether you set them up for exactly the same effects, that really comes down to what you're tying to achieve, but if you do it's often possible to tweak the parameters of each to give slightly different sound characters, and make the effects appear more natural.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Bob Bickerton » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:25 am

Probably off topic, and dependent on your effects needs, but I’ve found the Radial Voco-Loco an excellent bit of kit for using any stomp box on a microphone channel https://www.radialeng.com/product/voco-loco

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Janneman » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:40 am

stiag070 wrote:Thanks Jan, do you use multiple pedals, one for each vocalist? This is the bit that I'm unsure about...

We are using one pedal. I think that you have to use one each. Beware that you both have to sing in tune there is no autotune on this system. Go to a shop to try things out. Buying things is not that difficult.
Janneman
Regular
Kind regards,   Jan van Duren

Postby Music Wolf » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:27 pm

I played for a while in a band where both singers (myself and another singer / guitarist) used TC VoiceLives (a 2 and a 3). As long as you are not both trying to add the harmonies a the same time it can work.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby stiag070 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:02 pm

Brilliant, thanks everyone. We do have a dedicated sound engineer but he can't do every gig so we need to be able to be independent sometimes, it sounds as if 2 pedals are the way to go. Final question (i think!), we want a strobe effect like the one used in You Should See Me in a Crown by Billie Eillish at 2.19 if that is actually a strobe effect?? And if it is, does anyone know which pedals czn do this kind of thing?
stiag070

Postby AlecSp » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:31 pm

And do remember that in a lot of musical genres less is definitely more. Most of us engineers have had to deal with singers who come in with voice pedals like this which either have nasty metallic over the top harmonies or way too drowned in reverb. They may be a godsend in a small self-op setup (if used wisely), but are no substitute to proper production in a bigger setup.

stiag070 wrote:Final question (i think!), we want a strobe effect like the one used in You Should See Me in a Crown by Billie Eillish at 2.19 if that is actually a strobe effect?? And if it is, does anyone know which pedals czn do this kind of thing?
Don't think there's necessarily a name for that effect - which is actually a combination of effects. It sounds like a slicer (which effectively chops up a signal rhythmically) acting on a heavily filtered (possibly with a bit-crusher) signal.

I doubt you'd find any vocal pedals that would do anything as unusual and specific as that. Some of the whackier guitar pedals might, but aren't that easy to fit into a vocal signal chain.
AlecSp
Regular