You are here

Can you specify a folder on an external drive when relocating LPX sound library?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Can you specify a folder on an external drive when relocating LPX sound library?

Postby Kevin Nolan » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:49 am

Hi -

I want to relocate my LPX sound library content to an external hard disk. However for logistical / management reasons - I want that relocation to be in a sub folder on my external hard disk (I've called it called /Music/Music_Software/DAW_Library_Content).

However - when I choose the Sound Library Relocate function in LPX (latest version) is only offers me the ability to choose a drive - and not a folder on a drive!

I'm hoping there's a way to move it to where I need it - in a specified folder on that drive - but checking on Youtube and online tutorials isn't yielding anything. Any thoughts?

I can't imagine why Apple would go to the bother of offering a relocation utility, and not let you specify where to relocate it!

Thanks,
Kevin.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Re: Can you specify a folder on an external drive when relocating LPX sound library?

Postby desmond » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:34 am

If you want to use that Relocate tool, you have to use it as it was designed, and let it sort out the locations on the external disk.

I don't use it, I've always relocated my Logic (and other) content manually, so I put it where I want, but this requires a good knowledge of how Logic's content is stored, how to move it, reference it, and know what works and what doesn't - and a big part of the reason I think the simple Relocate feature was added was that people wanted to move content off their system drives, but would get into a whole heap of mess doing it manually, as it wasn't straightforward.

It is what it is at this time. You might have some success using Relocate to move it to your external drive, and then manually moving it elsewhere and symlinking the place Logic thinks the content is to where you put it, but that's just something you'll have to try, I've no idea whether it will work or not...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Can you specify a folder on an external drive when relocating LPX sound library?

Postby Kevin Nolan » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:02 pm

Always ready to defend Logic's flaws Desmond !! :-)

You're a loyal user.

Rediculous that you can't specify a folder. Only Apple!

Thanks!
Kevin.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster